NEW - Dream Theater: Fall Into the Light (Better than the entirety of The Astonishing)

48 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel like it's been a while since I've listened to DT. We have all of their albums through the self titled one released in 2013. I wasn't super crazy about it and I just kinda forgot about them after that.

Yeah Mike Portnoy left in 2010 and the albums they released after that, (A Dramatic Turn of Events, ST and The Astonishing) weren't amazing. Not that Mike Mangini is bad but the songs clearly have been less inspired.

Hopefully this new album will have them back up to par.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel like it's been a while since I've listened to DT. We have all of their albums through the self titled one released in 2013. I wasn't super crazy about it and I just kinda forgot about them after that. 

Still go back once in a while to listen to their older stuff.

Have you hard their first album? It's not on Spotify because of IIRC licensing/distribution issues with the label it was on, but the full thing's on Youtube:

The sound's a bit different (as many debut albums are) but I really like it.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yes, I actually own the CD. The post you quoted says I own all their albums up to 2013. :p It is different but I kinda liked it. Been a long time since I last listened to it, though. 

Yes, I read that part, but When Dream and Day Unite is just obscure enough that it seemed within the realm of possibility that you meant that you have all their albums going back to Images and Words. :p

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes, I read that part, but When Dream and Day Unite is just obscure enough that it seemed within the realm of possibility that you meant that you have all their albums going back to Images and Words. :p

It's not obscure, people just ignore it because it came before Images and Words and what Dream Theater's core sound mainly is.

I haven’t bought an album of theirs since Black Clouds and Silver Linings. Thankfully I got to see them that year when they toured for the album for $20 (along with Zappa Plays Zappa, Climb the Summit and Giant Dwarfs) They were amazing live but I like more of their less heavier stuff they produce. Just hard keeping with my bands now and days

On 1/12/2019 at 10:33 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah Mike Portnoy left in 2010 and the albums they released after that, (A Dramatic Turn of Events, ST and The Astonishing) weren't amazing. Not that Mike Mangini is bad but the songs clearly have been less inspired.

Hopefully this new album will have them back up to par.

I think they were clearly on this track starting with Black Clouds and Silver Linings so I don't think Portnoy leaving is the cause of their current sound. Which I still like.