Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SaysWho?

Movies Star Trek 4 Has Been 'Shelved'

Recommended Posts

https://www.cbr.com/report-star-trek-4-shelved/?

 

Quote

Star Trek fans are in for a bit of bad news. The long-gestating Star Trek 4, the planned sequel to 2016's Star Trek Beyond, appears to have been put on indefinite hold.

 

The news comes from Deadline, who's reporting that the movie has been shelved following the departure of its director, SJ Clarkson, who has just been recruited by HBO to helm and executive produce its secretive Game of Thrones spinoff/prequel pilot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had heard that the director was picked up by HBO because they were free, indicating ST4 had been put on hold prior to HBO reaching out. 

 

Apparently there have been contract disputes with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth. The studio not wanting to honor previously renegotiated contract rates due to Beyond under performing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I need to watch Beyond at some point. I enjoyed the other more recent movies. 

Unpopular opinion but its my least favorite of the 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Trek Into Darkness is an awful film so Star Trek Beyond by default is second best of the nu-universe Star Trek films. I enjoyed Beyond, but its first half is a lot better than its second half. Was a definite step up in terms of character and story over Into Darkness though.

 

I'm sad to see Star Trek 4 get shelved over something like this - would have been curious to see that cast together for another sci-fi adventure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jason said:

Man, I can't imagine why these movies turned out poorly...

 

 

 

To be fair, everyone knew even before J.J. Abrams was hired to direct Star Trek 2009 that he was always a big Star Wars fan, not Star Trek fan (though I take umbrage with him implying there that Star Trek was too philosophical for him but Star Wars isn't philosophical then?) and that it was writing duo Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman that were the big Trek fans, not the director. 

 

But those gifs perfectly describe J.J.'s directing style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed but never loved these movie Treks. I just hope that they don't abandon the franchise. Unlike most overstuffed franchises, I keep wanting more. There are so many ways to do Trek, though I wonder if they could ever do a take that wasn't Kirk or Picard without a successful TV series launching it first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

 (though I take umbrage with him implying there that Star Trek was too philosophical for him but Star Wars isn't philosophical then?)

This isn’t really controversial at all to me. Compared to the better Trek episodes and movies, Star Wars is not philosophical at all. There’s some discussion about turning Vader in RotJ but other than that the original Star Wars movies are straight up black vs. white, good vs. evil. Kirk and the gang have to make difficult decisions pretty regularly, Luke and friends almost never do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

This isn’t really controversial at all to me. Compared to the better Trek episodes and movies, Star Wars is not philosophical at all. There’s some discussion about turning Vader in RotJ but other than that the original Star Wars movies are straight up black vs. white, good vs. evil. Kirk and the gang have to make difficult decisions pretty regularly, Luke and friends almost never do.

 

No, I agree with you, but his implication could be taken to mean that Star Wars is not philosophical to a fault, which is why he'd be a fan of it over Star Trek and I think that's unfair to Star Wars. Star Trek is of course the far more philosophical of the two (normally). Just reading the tea leaves, could be way off base. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No, I agree with you, but his implication could be taken to mean that Star Wars is not philosophical to a fault, which is why he'd be a fan of it over Star Trek and I think that's unfair to Star Wars. Star Trek is of course the far more philosophical of the two (normally). Just reading the tea leaves, could be way off base. :p 

Ah fair enough, I hear you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I enjoyed but never loved these movie Treks. I just hope that they don't abandon the franchise. Unlike most overstuffed franchises, I keep wanting more. There are so many ways to do Trek, though I wonder if they could ever do a take that wasn't Kirk or Picard without a successful TV series launching it first. 

 

It wouldn't shock me if this has something to do with the movie being shelved: CBS’ CEO Search On Back Burner Amidst Push For New Viacom Merger Talks

 

The Viacom/CBS split resulted in the rights to Trek being split along movie/TV lines, and I think part of the motivation for the JJ movies was not having to coordinate with CBS. So if Viacom and CBS shacking back up is realistic then it could help kill the motivation for making these JJverse movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

remerging could solve some Discovery's issues, seems like a lot of the changes are mandated legally by the separation between CBS and Viacom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, elbobo said:

remerging could solve some Discovery's issues, seems like a lot of the changes are mandated legally by the separation between CBS and Viacom 

 

What changes in Discovery were mandated by CBS and Viacom being separated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

What changes in Discovery were mandated by CBS and Viacom being separated?

 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discoverys-version-of-the-enterprise-had-to-1825276401

 

 

it is really weird stuff like the Enterprise has to look 25% different from the TOS look and people are assuming that this may have been what led to at least some of the other style changes in the series, obviously some of them were just intentional updating 50 year old designs/effects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jason said:

It wouldn't shock me if this has something to do with the movie being shelved: CBS’ CEO Search On Back Burner Amidst Push For New Viacom Merger Talks

 

The Viacom/CBS split resulted in the rights to Trek being split along movie/TV lines, and I think part of the motivation for the JJ movies was not having to coordinate with CBS. So if Viacom and CBS shacking back up is realistic then it could help kill the motivation for making these JJverse movies.

Maybe.

 

The real problem is they just don't make enough money.

 

I imagine the dream after a merger would be to have the TV shows and the movies make money from each other. As it stands, I don't think the Trek films really push many All Access subs, and I doubt Disco would do much for Trek 4 ticket sales. Still, it's kind of hard to imagine getting to that place even after a merger. We've seen how difficult it's been for the MCU to push cross platform content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah beyond was at best a disappointment if not full on flop and the 4th movie would have seen big pay increases for the cast.

 

Trek movies don't need to be massive budget summer block busters. First Contact easily the best of the TNG movies was made on a budget of 45,000,000 that is about 72,000,000 in today's money. Beyond's budget was 185,000,000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Maybe.

 

The real problem is they just don't make enough money.

 

I imagine the dream after a merger would be to have the TV shows and the movies make money from each other. As it stands, I don't think the Trek films really push many All Access subs, and I doubt Disco would do much for Trek 4 ticket sales. Still, it's kind of hard to imagine getting to that place even after a merger. We've seen how difficult it's been for the MCU to push cross platform content.

 

:facepalm: Maybe they don't make enough money because the marketing for them is pathetic--look at how the 50th anniversary was bungled.

 

CBS and Paramount Royally Screwed Up Star Trek's 50th Anniversary

 

Quote

Of course, CBS and Paramount have had the whole year to celebrate Star Trek’s anniversary and done virtually nothing with it. Paramount, which owns the rights to the movies, had the chance to make Star Trek Beyond into its own Skyfall, another movie that was released to coincide with the 50th anniversary of its franchise. Certainly, cowriters Simon Pegg and Doug Jung peppered Beyond with enough callbacks to the original TV shows that it could have easily worked as an anniversary film, had Paramount marketed it as such.

 

Early on in Beyond’s production, it actually seemed like Paramount was planning exactly that. In 2014, Paramount announced that the film would premiere in 2016, coinciding with the 50th anniversary. And it stuck to that date, even through a director change and several rejected scripts. Everything should have lined up for Beyond to take advantage of the anniversary.

 

But then something changed. The first trailer for Star Trek Beyond was released in December, 2015. Nothing more was heard about the film for ages, until Paramount announced it would premiere a new trailer at a special “fan event” on May 20, 2016. And while the cast and crew were willing to talk about Beyond in terms of the anniversary, nothing in the promotional material for the film mentioned it. The closest thing to an acknowledgment we got was a poster which clearly invoked The Motion Picture:

 

Even stranger, the movie’s release date was pushed back from July 8 to July 22, when they could have pushed it even further and actually pegged it to this week’s anniversary. Then they could have also used San Diego Comic-Con to bring out the cast to promote it, especially since they didn’t have anything the previous year.

 

What did we get instead? A commercial which revealed one of the big twists of the movie and was so bad that the writer/star said not to watch it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

:facepalm: Maybe they don't make enough money because the marketing for them is pathetic--look at how the 50th anniversary was bungled.

 

 

I'm sure marketing played a big part of it, but in the end it kinda doesn't matter. The Trek reboots have a stacked cast, a massive budget, and some pretty capable directors, and after three tries they couldn't keep making money.

 

The first made the most in the US with $257M, but it's been downhill from there to the $158M of Beyond. That might be a salvageable series, but not with worldwide barely moving from $128M to $184M. Compare it to the Mission Impossible films, put out by the same studio, and while the US grosses haven't risen much, the overseas take keeps those movies quite profitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, looking at the final box offices tallies of each movie (both domestic and international), Beyond really did deserve to do better than it did - it was a better movie than many that have done better at the box office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×