Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition - Launch Trailer (PC/PS4/Switch/XB1)

Pikachu

To celebrate its 10th Anniversary, the beloved Tales of Vesperia is BACK -- fully remastered in HD and filled with new Mystic Artes, new characters, expanded story and more! Immerse yourself in a tale of two friends who set out an epic adventure that threatens the existence of all.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I wish they would make the 360 version BC. How much more HD can cel-shading be?

A lot, as it turns out. The entire game seems to employ that classic "HD" blur/bloom filter that makes the entire image a bit fuzzy and soft. Had to download Reshade just to enable a clarity filter, which helped a lot.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I wish they would make the 360 version BC. How much more HD can cel-shading be?

I really liked Vesperia, but not enough to pay another $40 for it.

Yeah, I'd rather just have it BC and X enhanced. That would actually put it at a higher resolution than the definitive edition.

Too early for me to tell, really! It runs well, looks good, doesn't seem to have any major issues, but I've never played Vesperia (outside of a couple hours a long time ago) and I'm not far enough in. So far it's definitely a Tales game, but it hasn't seemed like a "cheap" Tales game, like, say, Zestiria. That's about all the feedback I can give based on my current playtime. These games take a while to open up.

Also this nude mod is great.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Too early for me to tell, really! It runs well, looks good, doesn't seem to have any major issues, but I've never played Vesperia (outside of a couple hours a long time ago) and I'm not far enough in. So far it's definitely a Tales game, but it hasn't seemed like a "cheap" Tales game, like, say, Zestiria. That's about all the feedback I can give based on my current playtime. These games take a while to open up.

Also this nude mod is great.

Vesperia was definitely the best Tales game in recent memory. And yeah there was a bloom effect, but I'd assumed that was intentional and not a technical limitation.

18 hours ago, Biggie said:

Thanks. I want it for Switch. I’ll await your impressions sir!

Well, didn’t start off great, since there is a day one patch (!) for the Switch version. But it only took a few minutes and the game played pretty well in the beginning. So far, so good! 

More impressions later.

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I remember the husband and I playing this on 360 years ago, but after a dozen hours or so we were just bored with it. I've tried multiple Tales games and I just don't think they're for me. 

Only Tales game I’ve played was the one released on the PS Vita. I remember liking it but not being blown away. This game has my interest but I’m worried I’ll become bored with it like you. Lol. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Only Tales game I’ve played was the one released on the PS Vita. I remember liking it but not being blown away. This game has my interest but I’m worried I’ll become bored with it like you. Lol. 

The Vita one is the worst. Verperia is the best and has the best MC.

Edit: It isn't the worst. I just hate that it doesn't have a dub, but the script is so over fucking localized they changed the MC's name to Kor Meteor and that is fucking dumb as fucking. Why couldn't they just leave his name as Shing. You hear Shing the whole damn game  due to their being no dub but read Kor MeTeOr.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

It's all the talking. They seriously have a LOT of talking. 

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

As do most RPG’s. 

Yeah, pretty much any western RPG as significantly more talking. And not just story-driven, also tons of pointless conversation fodder. Bioware, Bethesda, CDPR, all stuff their games with useless dialogue trees.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:58 AM, GameDadGrant said:

The Tales of... series is one of those rare JRPGs that is actually more fun when you are able to do local multiplayer with some RPG-loving buddies. 

It can admittedly get a bit “grindy” doing the entire adventure solo, but I suppose that’s not entirely unique to the genre.

I had no idea this game had co op. I might have to pick it up on switch now.

I mean, if an RPG didn't have lots of talking, it'd be pretty shitty. Conversations are a critical part of the content.

That said, if you have the PC version, consider the SpecialK mod, and perhaps ReShade.

kLoTpzM.png

W3MTaHh.png

There's a fullscreen blur filter on top of a fullscreen "depth of field" -- which isn't really DoF as much as it's a second blur filter. It has the added benefit of creating a weird halo/phantom image doubling around characters and objects, which is extremely distracting up close, and makes your eyes water if you try to focus on any single detail in scenes where the characters aren't right up against the camera like in this scene.

JQXR8K5.png

Vk791Aa.png

The DoF actually serves to wash out the color palette as well. So, combining that with my higher vibrancy setting, this particular section of wall, for example, looks a bit green and "off" rather than the gray seen above. So if that kind of thing bothers you (Nothing struck me odd about the place while playing, as I wasn't doing a side-by-side the entire time) then you can just turn off the blur filters and skip the ReShade, but I think it's overall worth it, as most scenes are actually full of color, so while you might get the odd wall like this (which, I mean, THEY made it that color, dunno why they didn't just make it gray if it was meant to be gray) I think it's worth it because the characters and more colorful areas look SO much better.

Hv6ncGS.jpg

I think that offers a nice middle-ground, but some folks need it exactly as intended, weird fullscreen blur and all.

That said, you can also leave Bloom on if you want, you'll notice that weird coloring above Blondie's head up there, that's from the bloom. They use it on major parts of the entire image to create a weird quasi-lighting/shadow system of sorts? I think it looks sickly and weird, but again, you can leave it on while just clearing out the blur. I'm a freak and like my image crystal clear and as vibrant as possible. I want to get cavities from the sugary sweet candy colors. But I also think it fits the art style REALLY well. The characters look damn near current gen "anime" style when you take off the shit filters.

Also worth noting that the default setup looks WAY worse in motion, because the halo/doubling effect obviously moves too, and is much less subtle than in a screenshot.

Just now, eggydoo said:

Are all Tales games pretty much the same or anything different between them besides story?  I tried Zestiria via gamefly and I just couldn't get into it but tried it since I heard hype for this series.

The combat a be a bit different in each game. Vesperia is pretty basic "Tales of" combat tho. Graces F and Xillia prolly have better combat, but the weakest stories. Zestiria is prolly the worst received Tales of game. Not really a game to start the series on. I mean, I totally skipped it. 

• Thanks 1