Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Keyser_Soze

Television If Kevin Hart Supposedly Gained Goodwill by Apologizing, I Think He Lost Much of It During This Colbert Interview

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

"The truth is, Kevin, you're not being attacked," Crews continued. "The truth is you have to just acknowledge what went on and acknowledge the pain of other people. That’s all anybody's asking for. That's it.

 

"The Brooklyn Nine-Nine star and host of America's Got Talent: The Champions compared himself to Hart, saying he sometimes becomes defensive when his wife accuses him of something wrong.

 

"Then all of a sudden you can get hardened," he said, "but the hard part is when you put down the defenses and you say, 'Wait a minute, I'm not listening.'"

 

In the past, Crews has described Hart as a "brother" and said he expected him to be able to "come back" from the controversy.

 

 

I've barely followed Terry Crews at all before, like, 2017/2018, but I've been extremely impressed by him.

 

I'm not heavily invested in this Hart saga, but I think overall many people won't think less of you if you just admit you were part of this homophobic culture and made amends with what you used to think (or what you may still think). God knows in my life, I used to have instances where I said something pretty bad to somebody, and I'd keep going on with my life, thinking it's OK, or that I changed, or I'm not proud of it but I'm not the same guy. But sometimes, all someone wants is an apology because they want to feel as if you believe they're worth one.

 

It's helped me make amends with people from whom I was estranged for years, and I think the same concept can apply to something like this. It's better to apologize right away than let it linger because you don't think you need to give one or you're worried they won't accept the apology.

The thing with Hart from his perspective is that he made amends with this years ago and thought he was past it. This isn't the first time this has come up and as others have pointed out, other comedians with similar jokes on Twitter haven't been held to the same standard as him. So when he says he's over it, I dont blame him. However Colbert made a good point, it's up to the audience to decide when it's over... not him. We'll see what kind of hit his career takes. I know he's doing a lot of producing now as well as acting so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The thing with Hart from his perspective is that he made amends with this years ago and thought he was past it. This isn't the first time this has come up and as others have pointed out, other comedians with similar jokes on Twitter haven't been held to the same standard as him. So when he says he's over it, I dont blame him. However Colbert made a good point, it's up to the audience to decide when it's over... not him. We'll see what kind of hit his career takes. I know he's doing a lot of producing now as well as acting so.

Other comedians haven’t been held to the same standard because Kevin Hart is the most popular comedian out there right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Other comedians haven’t been held to the same standard because Kevin Hart is the most popular comedian out there right now. 

And Amy Schumer was the most popular comedian at one point too, not a peep about her homophobic jokes when she was at the height of her popularity.

Same with Sarah Silverman, Chelsea Handler and others... I could go on but you could Google it check it out for yourself.  When other celebrities and people brought this double standard up, that's when The Academy changed it's mind and offered the job back to Hart... which he still turned down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And Amy Schumer was the most popular comedian at one point too, not a peep about her homophobic jokes when she was at the height of her popularity.

Same with Sarah Silverman, Chelsea Handler and others... I could go on but you could Google it check it out for yourself.  When other celebrities and people brought this double standard up, that's when The Academy changed it's mind and offered the job back to Hart... which he still turned down.

 

Did Lena Dunham ever face any actual repercussions over what she wrote about doing to her sister?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jose said:

 

Wasnt she 7 at the time?

She wasn’t 7 at the time she made a joke about it, which is what Hart is in trouble for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

She wasn’t 7 at the time she made a joke about it, which is what Hart is in trouble for.

 

Oh, I didnt know she joked about it. That's creepy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jose said:

 

Oh, I didnt know she joked about it. That's creepy.

Yes. She made a joke about it which was very weird and creepy. Anyway here is some ironic shit right here...

 

 

:lol::lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes. She made a joke about it which was very weird and creepy. Anyway here is some ironic shit right here...

 

 

:lol::lol::lol:

 

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m less concerned about the content of the jokes as I am Hart’s seeming inability to see what it is that people are objecting to.

 

If the jokes were squarely aimed at his insecurities I don’t think that he’d chaff so much at having to discuss the nuances of his evolved thinking. In fact, I’d expect him to be eager. I would think that the moments that he took to educate himself would be moments he would want to share. Instead he’s acting as if the point of the jokes was to laugh at Hart’s comically outsized reactions rather than those reactions being fundamentally wrong (as he’s insisting).

 

I’m willing to buy the latter but his actions scream the former. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I’m less concerned about the content of the jokes as I am Hart’s seeming inability to see what it is that people are objecting to.

 

If the jokes were squarely aimed at his insecurities I don’t think that he’d chaff so much at having to discuss the nuances of his evolved thinking. In fact, I’d expect him to be eager. I would think that the moments that he took to educate himself would be moments he would want to share. Instead he’s acting as if the point of the jokes was to laugh at Hart’s comically outsized reactions rather than those reactions being fundamentally wrong (as he’s insisting).

 

I’m willing to buy the latter but his actions scream the former. 

 

The thing is, he discussed his evolved thinking when this controversy sprung up the first time.  He may be acting a little obstinate but how many times does he have to retread the same water? He gets what people are objecting to, what he doesn't get is why it keeps being brought up when it had already been addressed and others skate scot-free for similar or worse jokes and he's not the only one. The outrage seems a bit selective and THAT'S ultimately why he's seeming to resist  so much and why others have come to his defense. Personally I think he's running the risk of becoming toxic and ruining the little run he's on... but I definitely get his and others' frustration :shrug:

 

EDIT: The Oscar controversy didn't hurt his new movie... it unexpectedly beat Aquaman and Replicas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno the outrage seems relatively par for the course for recent oscar hosts. I doubt they'd even consider Lena Dunham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm completely out of the loop. What's going on with Kevin Hart? 

 

He used homophobic language and slurs in tweets years ago then he fired himself from the oscars and put a video up on Instagram that was supposed to be an apology and went on Ellen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×