Early impressions for Glass are coming out...(no spoilers)

And apparently it is a very divisive film. People are likening it to The Last Jedi in how it deconstructs the superhero film and goes places that people did not expect, or possibly want.

So that makes me very excited to see it! It's also definitely possibly that he just flubbed it since he clearly has wild swings in quality, but I hope it's good!

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I never saw The Visit... forgot about that one. I liked Signs a lot even with the gaping huge plot hole :p

Lol that’s the one I hated. But I liked The Village. Thought that weird fairy tale movie was ok and even kinda like The Happening for how ludicrous it was haha

9 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

The Visit was good too so he had 2 in a row. I actually like most of his movies, even the “shitty” ones, so I expect I’ll like this a lot. 

Shyamalan's good movies:

-The Sixth Sense

-Unbreakable

-Signs

-The Village

-The Visit

-Split

Shyamalan's bad movies:

-Praying with Anger

-Wide Awake

-Lady in the Water

-The Happening

-The Last Airbender

-After Earth

-Glass?????

I think people forget about his first two movies and The Last Airbender and After Earth. He's literally 50/50 so Glass could go either way. Some have argued Signs/The Village/The Visit are bad, and others have argued that Lady in the Water is good, so there's that as well. But this is where I fall. I think The Village is particularly underrated and the character and acting work in Signs overcomes some of its stupid plot points. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Shyamalan's good movies:

-The Sixth Sense

-Unbreakable

-Signs

-The Village

-The Visit

-Split

Shyamalan's bad movies:

-Praying with Anger

-Wide Awake

-Lady in the Water

-The Happening

-The Last Airbender

-After Earth

-Glass?????

I think people forget about his first two movies and The Last Airbender and After Earth. He's literally 50/50 so Glass could go either way. Some have argued Signs/The Village/The Visit are bad, and others have argued that Lady in the Water is good, so there's that as well. But this is where I fall. I think The Village is particularly underrated and the character and acting work in Signs overcomes some of its stupid plot points. 

I forgot he did After Earth.  I didn't hate that movie but it wasn't good either.  Last Airbender might be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life haha.  And I agree, The Village is very underrated.  There's some really great things in there that people refuse to acknowledge because they're angry about the ending.

No matter what Glass does - there is no possible way it can do what The Last Jedi did.  The reason being is that there are not nearly enough people to care.  If Glass isn't what people are expecting or wanting... they will just shrug for the most part and move along.  People are invested in Star Wars.  Unbreakable and Split have a fan base but not the rabid following of Star Wars.

The Village wasn't bad... I think the twist rubbed some folks the wrong way but I didn't mind it. I didn't mind After Earth either... it wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. The rest of the list posted here seems pretty accurate to me regarding his filmography.  The thing is when he makes a bad movie,  it's REALLY bad.

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I forgot he did After Earth.  I didn't hate that movie but it wasn't good either.  Last Airbender might be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life haha.  And I agree, The Village is very underrated.  There's some really great things in there that people refuse to acknowledge because they're angry about the ending.

Holy shit I typed my poster before I even read yours... didn't realize I was pretty much repeating what you said :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I will go to bat for The Village every time. It's mood, tone, atmosphere; it's beautiful cinematography. Its commentary on failed utopias. There's a lot to like in that film. 

My only regret is that I have but one upvote to give. Seriously that movie is so good and I don't get why people hate on it like they do his lesser works.

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Village wasn't bad... I think the twist rubbed some folks the wrong way but I didn't mind it.

I've never watched the Village but this is what I was told by my friends. It was a fine movie up until the twist and it ruined the movie for them.

I’ll rep THE VILLAGE too and emphasize the twist wasn’t the one that everyone saw coming but instead the reveal of the monster. Because duh one you could see coming a mile away and the other was a surprise.

I also weirdly think that THE HAPPENING had better potential than shook out. The mood and atmosphere were great but it felt like he wanted to write a horror where nature fights back but then pussed out at the last second and it really hurt the film.

What keeps hope alive is, I think, the palpable feeling that he’s always trying to say something even if the ultimate result doesn’t land. Almost like the Wachowskis except without the mega success. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I will go to bat for The Village every time. It's mood, tone, atmosphere; it's beautiful cinematography. Its commentary on failed utopias. There's a lot to like in that film. 

I like The Village a lot. I don't like Signs though. That film was garbage. 

4 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I also weirdly think that THE HAPPENING had better potential than shook out. The mood and atmosphere were great but it felt like he wanted to write a horror where nature fights back but then pussed out at the last second and it really hurt the film.

The thing about The Happening is that it was a homage to old monster movies like this, and people took it too seriously. If you watch it in that regard it isn't bad. It's certainly better than The Village.

21 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The thing about The Happening is that it was a homage to old monster movies like this, and people took it too seriously. If you watch it in that regard it isn't bad. It's certainly better than The Village.

I totally got what he was going for with The Happening... and it STILL sucked. Mark Wahlberg was miscast and there were just too many logic problems and at that point in his career, M. Knight had run out of good will for people to over look the plot holes in his films.

https://screenrant.com/m-night-shyamalan-glass-split-finance-details/

According to Forbes, Shyamalan used his own money to finance his recent films so that he could have more creative control over them, and because he possibly couldn't get the financial backing from movie studios. When it came to The Visit, Shyamalan used a $5 million loan on his 125 acre Pennsylvania estate and for Split, the director put up $9 million. As for his upcoming film Glass, Shyamalan raised $20 million from the success of his past two films and by using more collateral from his Pennsylvania estate.