Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves

Just now, Anathema- said:

If you consider the fact that one parent is forgoing an income to do a ton of work at home for nothing it's not hard to imagine how expensive childcare is even for those that didn't have to shell out for it. 

Yeah, saving money in childcare by cutting your household income in half isn't really saving.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, saving money in childcare by cutting your household income in half isn't really saving.

I wouldn’t consider it saving money in child care. For most families I know who are single income, they quite simply would rather give up the difference between the second income minus childcare costs for the intangible benefits of having a stay at home parent. That was certainly the case for my wife and I and all the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I ate for lunch for literally years and whatever else poor people things we did were well worth it to us. I always hoped my wife would want to stay home but left it up to her to decide, it was a good decision for us.

49 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The problem is the childcare in many cases costs as much or almost as much as the second income, having 2 kids in childcare can easily cost you 500 a week or more, price is even higher for infants.  

21 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The problem is the childcare in many cases costs as much or almost as much as the second income, having 2 kids in childcare can easily cost you 500 a week or more, price is even higher for infants.  

I am crazily well aware of that. Before I had my third, my wife was working as a preschool teacher. Even with her discount, it still was wildly expensive. In my area, daycare for all three of my kids would run us nearly $1000 a week, which is more than most people make in a week. If it weren't for family, we would have had to space out our kids far enough that our oldest would be in school by the time we started on our next.