Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Why are you assuming that abortions are purely elective and not due to a health issue of the mother or fetus? 

I'm assuming that at least a significant chunk of annual abortions are elective. Again, it's just a thought experiment. Do abortions in first world nations have statistically significant effect on birth rates or not. Birth and fertility rates have been low in first world nations for over a decade and seen as a problem for aging populations with large social safety nets. So I'm simply curious if abortions are having any significant impact on those numbers. 

I mean, the study is pretty specific about the reasons:

Experts say the decline isn’t due to a single cause, but rather a combination of several factors, including changing economics, delays in childbirth by women pursuing jobs and education, the greater availability of contraception, and a decline in teen pregnancies.

I see nothing wrong with any of that with the exception of, "I can't afford it because I get paid shit."

I don't know everyone's ages but the most frequent reason I hear at least where I live is that people just flat out can't afford it. I mean, they could, but a lot of people here are struggling to get out of one-bedroom apartments with two incomes. 

A two bedroom apartment is the new Porsche. 

29 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I mean, the study is pretty specific about the reasons:

I see nothing wrong with any of that with the exception of, "I can't afford it because I get paid shit."

There's more than likely another reason that's not mentioned:  

Guys, our little swimmers just ain't as potent as they used to be!

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Explain how you got to more than likely. :p 

Sperm Count Zero

A strange thing has happened to men over the past few decades: We’ve become increasingly infertile, so much so that within a generation we may lose the ability to reproduce entirely. What’s causing this mysterious drop in sperm counts—and is there any way to reverse it before it’s too late?

• Thanks 1

I'm 31, still don't want kids. For a lot of reasons, really, but I also just don't want to bring a child into this world as it is. 

I'm one of the people some assholes criticize for not having children, because I could afford one. In fact, I'm pretty sure one person here has criticized me for my choice. Not to mention my family and other people in my life.

Well, you need to be careful with that. My wife and I waited a while too... when we finally started trying, she was 31 and I was 33. It took us 2 years and a lot of doctor help to have our first (and second). It's not always as easy as you think it will be and you it might not be the best idea to wait until she's 35 or 36 to find out. Having children gets way way way more complicated every year you hit after 35 or so.

31 minutes ago, ort said:

Well, you need to be careful with that. My wife and I waited a while too... when we finally started trying, she was 31 and I was 33. It took us 2 years and a lot of doctor help to have our first (and second). It's not always as easy as you think it will be and you it might not be the best idea to wait until she's 35 or 36 to find out. Having children gets way way way more complicated every year you hit after 35 or so.

Neither of us are sold on kids, my wife particularly doesn't want to get pregnant because of her epilepsy and has always wanted to adopt so there's always that option

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We have three. They aren’t THAT expensive, but my wife had never planned to work outside the home so we haven’t had stuff like day care to pay for.

Day care is SO expensive. We have three. The cheapest daycare in the area charges close to $300 per child per week. Luckily we have family that helps watch the kids. Otherwise, I'm not convinced we could have afforded anything beyond our first.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Day care is SO expensive. We have three. The cheapest daycare in the area charges close to $300 per cold per week. Luckily we have family that helps watch the kids. Otherwise, I'm not convinced we could have afforded anything beyond our first.

Is this an intentional reference to daycares being a major vector for spreading disease? :p

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Day care is SO expensive. We have three. The cheapest daycare in the area charges close to $300 per child per week. Luckily we have family that helps watch the kids. Otherwise, I'm not convinced we could have afforded anything beyond our first.

Similar price here as well

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Just have your wife give up her career and sense of self fullfillment.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not everyone is a millionaire theater owner either. :p

My wife quit working when we had our first kid, and that was when I was still in school and barely making $20k a year.

10 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Just have your wife give up her career and sense of self fullfillment.

Not all people get any sense of fulfillment from work. My wife was all set to return to work after our first kid was born, but the Sunday before she was supposed to start back at her job she came to me crying and asking me if she could quit. Her bosses at Bank of America offered her a promotion and the ability to work 50% from home.

She didn’t care, staying home with the kids was the thing she desired.

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

We have three. They aren’t THAT expensive, but my wife had never planned to work outside the home so we haven’t had stuff like day care to pay for.

Well yeah, kids aren't expensive when one parents foregoes income to stay home and raise them. But you're in a privileged position for her to do that. Most people can't even afford rent without two incomes.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well yeah, kids aren't expensive when one parents foregoes income to stay home and raise them. But you're in a privileged position for her to do that. Most people can't even afford rent without two incomes.

See above. We did it when I was a poor college student :p