~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
osxmatt

General Gaming Games like Salt and Sanctuary?

I'm not sure why I didn't play this sooner, but I picked it up during the Winter Sale, and I'm absolutely in love. The combination of platforming and Soulslike experience is fantastic.

Are there any similar games you would recommend? I love the Soulslike experience, but would be ok with a platformer, as long as it still had RPG like elements.

Axiom Verge

Axiom-Verge.png

Shovel Knight

screen_07.png

Bloodstained Curse of the Moon

ss_91e77d2b7c7f1d4d109f7691d91bdcf500b59

Shadow Complex

ShadowComplex_Screen03-1280x720-17471768

I also 2nd

Rogue Legacy 

screenshot_1920_1080_FM2D199.jpg

Dead Cells

dead-cells-wallpaper-5.jpg

Hollow Knight

ss_2329fe632e788efd9ece9dcfc98c0ea723ac0

Hyper Light Drifter

ss_fba6762a846f9d79ade2f008514e2e4cea16d

I'd have to say purely quality-wise, Hollow Knight and Hyper Light Drifter may be your best bet to get close overall. 

Mind you, neither are purely Souls-like but they're very clearly influenced. 

Appreciate all the suggestions!

Hollow Knight and Dead Cells seem to be the ones that come up the most, but I see them described as Metroidvania. I've done some reading online, but as someone that never played Castlevania or Metroid games, what exactly makes a "Metroidvania" game? And how exactly does that differ from Salt and Sanctuary or Soulslike games?

12 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Appreciate all the suggestions!

Hollow Knight and Dead Cells seem to be the ones that come up the most, but I see them described as Metroidvania. I've done some reading online, but as someone that never played Castlevania or Metroid games, what exactly makes a "Metroidvania" game? And how exactly does that differ from Salt and Sanctuary or Soulslike games?

A "Metroidvania" type of game is defined as one where the map/world involves interconnected areas that are inaccessible until the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities.  

If you're looking for purely "Souls-like" games, then check out this Steam curated list or this list based on Steam tags

3 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

A "Metroidvania" type of game is defined as one where the map/world involves interconnected areas that are inaccessible until the player has acquired special items, tools, weapons or abilities.  

If you're looking for purely "Souls-like" games, then check out this Steam curated list or this list based on Steam tags

Ah that shows how much I know! The map connectivity is one of my favorite features of Souls games.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Momodora is on that Steam list that I can also highly recommend, but its more metroidvania than it is a Souls game.

For some reason I simply could not get into Salt and Sanctuary. I put 2 hours into it before deciding to stop playing. Maybe one day I'll go back, but the controls felt waaaaay off to me. 

:shrug:

One that I would highly recommend despite it really being nothing like Souls or even a Metroidvania would be the fantastic Iconoclasts. Great 2d action adventure with a crazy ass story & tons of boss fights. Overall it was highly enjoyable despite some aggravating sections.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Nokt said:

Momodora is on that Steam list that I can also highly recommend, but its more metroidvania than it is a Souls game.

Ah yeah. Was listening to the Bombcast I guess it's soulsy.