Radeon VII: Competitive with 2080; $699

legend

AMD-Radeon-VII-Gaming-Performance.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-shares-more-details-on-radeon-vii

Mark Papermaster confirmed that AMD is not abandoning the mid-range market with their 7nm architecture. The company will unveil more Radeon products over the year.

We are really excited to start on the high end with our 7nm Radeon VII […] and you will see the announcements over the course of the year as we refresh across our Radeon program.
— Mark Papermaster

This means that AMD is more than likely to launch new entry-level and mid-range products based on 7nm architecture. It is likely that the company will start with the entry-level, as Radeon RX 590 is a relatively a new product, although still based on dated Polaris architecture.

It is also possible that these new products will utilize Navi architecture, which may focus on cheaper memory technologies such as GDDR6.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-cto-mark-papermaster-promises-more-radeon-products-this-year

On 1/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, mikechorney said:

I am assuming when AMD say same performance, they are referring to similar framerates as NVidia using DLSS?

Nope! That’s the thing, it’s not even really rtx (though it also hurts) as much as lack of dlss that will hurt these. On a lot of big name games that will be using dlss, the 2080 will scorch it.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Nope! That’s the thing, it’s not even really rtx (though it also hurts) as much as lack of dlss that will hurt these. On a lot of big name games that will be using dlss, the 2080 will scorch it.

Then it sounds like the AMD card is overpriced, I understand the ridiculous pricing for the RTX cards, because of the extra cost of the AI cores.  They enable DLSS/Ray Tracing.

But if they're only getting comparable performance to the RTX cards, when they're not taking advantage of those new cores...

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Then it sounds like the AMD card is overpriced, I understand the ridiculous pricing for the RTX cards, because of the extra cost of the AI cores.  They enable DLSS/Ray Tracing.

But if they're only getting comparable performance to the RTX cards, when they're not taking advantage of those new cores...

But HBM2 is TOTALLY worth it for AMD!

... :lol: 

Yeah the bottom line is 16gb of hbm is expensive. There is a rumor out there that AMD will be losing money on these cards.

Edit: I don't see AMD making a big splash until their new architecture after Navi. I believe Navi has been delayed and they are reworking some things because it isn't competitive with Nvidia products. AMD has cash now to burn, so I think we will see some real improvements soon. 

22 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I would hate them if there was a credible competitor. 

AMD is competitive in the mid range (or what was the mid range). The 580 is extremely competitive with the 1060 (arguably better), and this is the price point that most gamers are at. Nevertheless, people still buy 1060s over 580s by several fold. This isn't a rational response since a 1060 isn't going to be faster just because Nvidia has faster cards at the top.

Average.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page8.html

11 hours ago, Massdriver said:

AMD is competitive in the mid range (or what was the mid range). The 580 is extremely competitive with the 1060 (arguably better), and this is the price point that most gamers are at. Nevertheless, people still buy 1060s over 580s by several fold. This isn't a rational response since a 1060 isn't going to be faster just because Nvidia has faster cards at the top.

Average.png

https://www.techspot.com/review/1393-radeon-rx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-1060/page8.html

1060 isn't even in production any more.  My thoughts were focused on enthusiast cards -- I wasn't considering their competitiveness on 480/580 iin a thread on a $700 card.

18 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Yeah the bottom line is 16gb of hbm is expensive. There is a rumor out there that AMD will be losing money on these cards.

Edit: I don't see AMD making a big splash until their new architecture after Navi. I believe Navi has been delayed and they are reworking some things because it isn't competitive with Nvidia products. AMD has cash now to burn, so I think we will see some real improvements soon. 

I find that hard to believe. These are probably their workstation GPUs that failed testing. Nothing has been mentioned about after market cards so I might just buy a reference one.