The Division 2 coming to Epic Games Store, skipping Steam

Pikachu

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/9/18174375/division-2-pc-epic-games-store-steam

Ubisoft and Epic Games are teaming up to bring the publisher’s PC games, including March’s Tom Clancy’s The Division 2, to the Epic Games Store.

The Division 2 will be semi-exclusive to the Epic Games Store on Windows PC. Ubisoft will also sell the PC version through its own online storefront, but The Division 2 won’t be released through Steam, which currently features a product page for the game. A representative for Ubisoft told Polygon via email, “We have no plans currently on releasing Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on Steam.”

Ubisoft and Epic said they will “also partner on additional select titles [coming to the Epic Games Store] to be announced during the coming year.” Ubisoft also said it plans to fulfill pre-orders for The Division 2 made at other online stores prior to today.

The addition of Ubisoft titles for Epic’s recently launched game store is a feather in the Fortnite and Unreal Engine maker’s cap. Epic has already struck a few exclusive deals with smaller developers to bring their games exclusively to the Epic Games Store, such as Supergiant’s Hades and the final episodes of Telltale Games’ The Walking Dead: The Final Season. But wooing Ubisoft away from Steam to Epic’s store is further evidence that the PC marketplace is becoming more like a console war for exclusive content deals.

“We entrust Epic to deliver a smooth journey for our fans, from preordering the game and enjoying our Beta to the launch of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on March 15,” Ubisoft’s Chris Early, vice president of partnerships, said in a press release. “Epic continues to disrupt the videogame [sic] industry, and their third party digital distribution model is the latest example, and something Ubisoft wants to support.”

Epic launched its digital game store in December, touting a more favorable royalty rate for developers than Steam: 88 percent of revenue will go to developers, with Epic Games taking the remaining 12 percent. Steam’s revenue split, meanwhile, starts with 30 percent of revenue going to Valve. As games make more money on Steam, the revenue split increases in the developer’s favor, but it still doesn’t match what Epic is offering. And while Valve provides broader, more mature tools and services to developers on Steam, it’s clear that Epic’s attempt to undercut Valve is more attractive to some game makers.

In addition to PC, Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 is also coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

looking at picking this up on Xbox One X for my Birthday present to myself. I know it launches on the 15th so close enough, 11 past my birthday actually. I liked the first one alot. I would have preferred it on PC but again, a new gaming PC is a year away at best for me now so Xbox it is . . .

5 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

It was pretty fun and underrated. Too bad it wasn't included in the base game and took too long sometimes to join a game because of lack of players. 

this was my issue. finally got into a round and got killed pretty quick and then couldnt get back in again. said fuck it. 

6 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

It was pretty fun and underrated. Too bad it wasn't included in the base game and took too long sometimes to join a game because of lack of players. 

I fired it up last night and pvp mode never started for me. Went to PVE mode and that started but took a couple of minutes. I feel like the should have really focused on PVE in the first game. They had some good ideas for PVP but never nailed the gameplay properly to make it work.  it's why I'm glad Bioware is focusing on PVE for Anthem. I could see similar problems in that game regarding PVP that you saw in The Division and to a lesser extent Destiny.  How does Warframe handle PVP?

18 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Why not just go uplay exclusive?

Possibly to put pressure on Valve.  Or because Epic moneyhatted them to stay off.

It does kind of diminish their own store though.  You'd think Ubisoft would want Uplay to be a bigger part of the conversation with the storefront craze.

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I fired it up last night and pvp mode never started for me. Went to PVE mode and that started but took a couple of minutes. I feel like the should have really focused on PVE in the first game. They had some good ideas for PVP but never nailed the gameplay properly to make it work.  it's why I'm glad Bioware is focusing on PVE for Anthem. I could see similar problems in that game regarding PVP that you saw in The Division and to a lesser extent Destiny.  How does Warframe handle PVP?

PVP in Warframe is very basic sit in a lobby and wait for a game. If you do get in a game you better be damn good at your aim because it's not like killing NPCs, other players zip all over the map. Warframe wasn't made for PVP. It's like 0.01% of the player base sometimes plays it. I agreed. It was just awful.