I vote we collapse Retro and PC Tech into tags rather than suboards

legend

Just to be clear, for what my opinion here is worth (admittedly very little :p ) I think it's correct that Wade wants the requests to come from those board members themselves, and I'm not trying to convince Wade or anyone else that we need to do things differently. I just don't quite understand the logic behind wanting to keep Retro as a separate board.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don't get why you guys care so much, anyway. It's not like any of you ever really joined in on our discussions on the board. 

I mean, with your logic, why have separate boards at all? Just have one big forum and tag everything, since that's your solution for everything. 

I explained why I cared (and so did Nokra) but I think we both have stated that while we do have a preference, neither of us care "so much" and are completely willing to defer to your guys preference :p Also, that we haven't really joined in on the discussions is kind of the point. The nature of the setup makes it less likely for us to participate, whereas we would be more likely to participate in it via a tag because we would see it.

As for why not a single board, it's because to my knowledge there is no such thing as hierarchical tags, and dealing with such tags would become messy. For example, there are many subcategories to video games, and many for CEB/Newsroom. Given that, it is convenient to be able to filter based on that meta category, and that's precisely what a separate board does. Whether something with clear subcategories warrants its own board would be a function of activity over those subcategories.

My thought with the prefixes was that we only want/need to use them (and force them) on the forums where they're replacing what used to be subforums: Videogames, Entertainment, and Sports. In the case of something like the CEB where it's not replacing subforums I thought it'd be a step backward.

42 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

We don't have any subcategory prefixes for The Newsroom.

I'm speaking abstractly, not that tags are actually implemented. That is there are numerous subtopics that Newsroom spans, and it makes sense to have one giant glob for that. And that is paired with the activity level for that glob and all of games being large enough that separating by those globs is common enough warrant a board. But we could also us entertainment for another example that does also have its already created.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I'm sure you guys would participate it it were done to your liking. 

You've had every opportunity to participate in the last 8 years, but haven't. It's not hard to click a forum if it interests you, so forgive me if I don't buy that argument. 

On various occasions in various boards I've not responded in threads because I realized just before going to type something up that it's actually quite a bit older by that point. I've also observed it happening in the reverse direction (same thread getting more attention on a different board, both on this site and others). In the past, I've often thought subboards would be better if they just acted as a filter and otherwise had the content appear in the main board and even have done some searching before to see if IP boards could be configured that way. I don't know why you refuse to believe I'm being genuine about my motivations or why you think this phenomenon is so uncommon.

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'll also just add that my world wouldn't end if Retro were collapsed in with everything else. It just more annoys me that people who have never been part of that little sub-community want to make suggestions on what to do with it, when those of us who do enjoy it there like it the way we have it. 

Making it a Cars Board is always on the table. :batting:

45 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I guess it's just weird to me that people can't click on a link to a forum when it's right in front of them. If it's an area I have interest in, I'm gonna click on it from time to time. :shrug:

If I was actively looking to read about retro specifically, then I surely would at least click on it. But most of the time I'm not looking for topics that specific and just casually look at topics to see what interests me. Consequently, slow moving boards tend not to be visited. Furthermore, if I wanted to post something about retro, there is a good chance I wouldn't do it on the retro board because it might get more attention elsewhere. Back when R&P was a thing and GI was more active, on a number of occasions I would still posting something in GI instead of R&P precisely for that same reason.

36 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'll also just add that my world wouldn't end if Retro were collapsed in with everything else. It just more annoys me that people who have never been part of that little sub-community want to make suggestions on what to do with it, when those of us who do enjoy it there like it the way we have it. 

Why does that annoy you? As far as I can tell, no one has tried to seriously push it. Both Nokra and I rather quickly deferred to the subcommunity's preference, even if we don't understand the reasoning. I'm an engineer. Thinking about how to optimize things is what I do (to the point that my work is about optimizing how software can optimize!) and it's never done out of malice or intentional disregard for others. 

EDIT: to be more clear, I'm sorry if it came off as if I was try to attack your community.  I honestly just thought it would be better for everyone involved. If you guys feel differently, so be it.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 8:19 PM, legend said:

If I was actively looking to read about retro specifically, then I surely would at least click on it. But most of the time I'm not looking for topics that specific and just casually look at topics to see what interests me. Consequently, slow moving boards tend not to be visited. Furthermore, if I wanted to post something about retro, there is a good chance I wouldn't do it on the retro board because it might get more attention elsewhere. Back when R&P was a thing and GI was more active, on a number of occasions I would still posting something in GI instead of R&P precisely for that same reason.

Well retro has a whopping 7 topics. I'm sure if you posted something there someone would see it at some point!

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I do find it odd that Tabletop Games is a separate board but PC Gaming is a sub-board. Shouldn't they both be sub-boards?

The main grouping is Gaming. Video games and Tabletop games are both types of gaming. PC games are a subset of video games, tabletop games aren't.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I do find it odd that Tabletop Games is a separate board but PC Gaming is a sub-board. Shouldn't they both be sub-boards?

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

The main grouping is Gaming. Video games and Tabletop games are both types of gaming. PC games are a subset of video games, tabletop games aren't.

And it's not really "PC Gaming" as much anymore as it's more geared towards "PC Technical"...and the PCCB.

• Thanks 1