New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe Reviews

Pikachu

20 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Its the best game in the "new" branded series of Mario games but that isnt a high bar to clear.... the reused assets is whats most annoying (that fortress/castle theme sucks)..

though 164 levels is pretty good..

now HD up the Galaxy games and take my money..

I dunno, the art and music in those games sucks real bad, but they have some pretty great pure platforming. 

The $60 price tag is ridiculous for this game. I get that not many people played this game on Wii U but it's technically a port. The changes they made aren't significant for me to double dip even though I wouldn't mind if it was $40. It came with my Wii U packed in along with the Luigi U and I completed both 100% It saddens me that they like to milk their fan base as much as they can. $60 would be a lot easier to pay for if they added in more levels. I would love another new game entirely for $60.

4 hours ago, Zarich said:

I never enjoyed mario galaxy.  Waggle controls ruined it for me.

Really? Having to slightly shake the Wii remote for a spin attack "ruined" some of the best games on the Wii for you?

Also, that's not waggle. I dunno when people started thinking waggle meant any motion controls at all. Waggle meant you'd have a bunch of random moves that supposedly had specific ways to activate them, but because of the Wii's low fidelity motion controls, you'd just waggle the stick to activate them. Mario Galaxy knew this, and thus the only move was specifically simple: Just shake the Wii remote, no pretend "swing straight down" crap that didn't work half the time. It was as reliable as a standard button press, and only required a very light flick of the wrist at most, so I'm curious as to how it could "ruin" the game for someone.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Really? Having to slightly shake the Wii remote for a spin attack "ruined" some of the best games on the Wii for you?

Also, that's not waggle. I dunno when people started thinking waggle meant any motion controls at all. Waggle meant you'd have a bunch of random moves that supposedly had specific ways to activate them, but because of the Wii's low fidelity motion controls, you'd just waggle the stick to activate them. Mario Galaxy knew this, and thus the only move was specifically simple: Just shake the Wii remote, no pretend "swing straight down" crap that didn't work half the time. It was as reliable as a standard button press, and only required a very light flick of the wrist at most, so I'm curious as to how it could "ruin" the game for someone. 

Yes

I hated it. I don't want to flick a stick.  In fact the WII was my least played Nintendo Console because of the control scheme. 

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd prefer the Galaxy games with a regular controller, but they're still fantastic games.

I wonder how that worked out without the pointer controls.  The spin move I could understand as a button press.  But using a control stick to move a cursor around while doing other things sounds like a terrible time.

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I wonder how that worked out without the pointer controls.  The spin move I could understand as a button press.  But using a control stick to move a cursor around while doing other things sounds like a terrible time.

Yeah, like how do they make these games where you have to use a cursor to shoot on console? So complicated. Uncharted was such a mess. 

16 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Well we've all got a hill we're willing to die on, I guess.

I wouldn't call it a hill, but honestly I just found it so unfun that PS3 got all my playtime.  That and the PC.  I really disliked Zelda and swinging the thing for the sword.  It could be lazyness.  It could be that sometimes when I shook the stupid thing nothing happened and that annoyed the crap out of me.  Who knows.  MOST of the games I played on the WII were the ones that were wavebird compatible. 

I still have my wavebird. 

20 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, like how do they make these games where you have to use a cursor to shoot on console? So complicated. Uncharted was such a mess. 

Mario Galaxy isn't a shooter.  It's a game that requires you to juggle two distinct control schemes simultaneously. (cursor pointing and 3D platforming)

Point & clicks and light gun games are an awful experience on a standard controller as is.  It'd be bad enough if controlling a cursor was all you had to do.

On 1/14/2019 at 8:29 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Works good with a mouse.

I could see that being okay.  But only if you paired a mouse up with a joycon, since a keyboard lacks an analog stick.

If Mario Galaxy was ever ported, you'd want to play it with the joycons detached.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Mario Galaxy isn't a shooter.  It's a game that requires you to juggle two distinct control schemes simultaneously. (cursor pointing and 3D platforming)

Point & clicks and light gun games are an awful experience on a standard controller as is.  It'd be bad enough if controlling a cursor was all you had to do.

There's really nothing so complex about the cursor that it couldn't be mapped to the second analog stick. You're making this more complicated than it is.

21 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

There's really nothing so complex about the cursor that it couldn't be mapped to the second analog stick. You're making this more complicated than it is.

I just wouldn’t want a port of it to make the game worse.  Mapping its cursor to a stick would do just that - make it a pain in the ass to play rather than the cursor being something you stop thinking about.

It probably sounds crazy to you, but I had no real issue with Snatcher and Policenauts back in the day. And that was on a D-pad. People play Telltale games on console. If you can use a cursor to shoot a weapon while moving around in a game, then Mario Galaxy isn't that hard. 

This really isn't that complicated and I don't understand why you're so insistent on it.

$60 is insane.

Nintendo totally blew the opportunity to do a NEW Super Mario Bros All-Stars. Package NSMB, NSMBWii, and NSMBU together, sell it for $60. I won't get greedy and ask for NSMB2 also, but that can be a 6-month DLC thing for $20.

The all-star nostalgia, with an incredible value and this thing would sell like hotcakes. I don't particularly feel the need to re-play the NSMB games, but I would totally get that package.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It probably sounds crazy to you, but I had no real issue with Snatcher and Policenauts back in the day. And that was on a D-pad. People play Telltale games on console. If you can use a cursor to shoot a weapon while moving around in a game, then Mario Galaxy isn't that hard. 

This really isn't that complicated and I don't understand why you're so insistent on it.

I've always found cursor control on controllers to be bad, but have managed to get through a few point and clicks with it.  I played through some Sierra adventure games on a modded Xbox.

There's almost nothing to do with timing in those games though.  You don't have to act on reflex.  Grabbing star bits in Galaxy is almost entirely about moving the cursor to things before they disappear.  There's also those bubble sequences where the cursor is used to blow air, or the gravity stars that pull you to them when clicked.  Those would still be a pain with a right-stick controlled cursor even when it is the only thing to focus on.

I don't know where you're getting this idea that shooters are a good comparison.  Dual stick controllers are best suited for camera/movement controls.  And for shooters where a targeting reticle stays at the center of the screen (more or less).  Not a game where the cursor is moved independently while controlling other things. 

Imagine playing the Wii version of RE4 with a dual-stick controller, where the right stick controlled the targeting reticle independently from camera/turning.  There's a reason why 3rd person shooters don't attempt that kind of control scheme.  It's not what analog stick controllers are good at.

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

Having never played any of these games on any platform I'm tempted by this. But even so, knowing that it's essentially a port that they're selling for $60 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 

If I said that this is a port but also includes a port of new super luigi u which was also a stand alone game (so you get two games) would that improve the taste in your mouth?