US Gamer: Gaming subscription bubble, how long until it bursts? (Editorial)

crispy4000

I hear the concern, but the reality for me is that all of these services have actually saved me cash so far, aside from paying for console online, which continues to be trash, but at least has evolved to be less trashy over time! :sun:

Edit: Also this author thinks you need to use Nvidia's Geforce Experience to install Nvidia drivers! :lol: RESEARCH, HOW DOES IT WORK?! 

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

USGamer and Mike Williams continues to prove that they are near the top of gaming sites.

USGamer is easily one of the best gaming publications - it was created by Jeremy Parish, who is a really good games journalist writer who takes it seriously. He curated that staff before he left and they are excellent with their editorials. 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I hear the concern, but the reality for me is that all of these services have actually saved me cash so far, aside from paying for console online, which continues to be trash, but at least has evolved to be less trashy over time! :sun:

I worry more about the future, when subscriptions start splintering more, as they have already with video streaming content and PC gaming storefronts.  There’s also the possibility of further price hikes, subscription tiers, etc, once things are more established.

How the next generation of consoles handles this will be a major topic of conversation.  The big 3rd party publishers are hungry for it, and won’t want to get screwed over.

On another note, I bought LaunchBox/BigBox and have started setting that up. All those Epic Games Store freebies convinced me to look beyond Steam as a library manager.

No regrets at all.  It’s so much better than Big Picture Mode.  I’ll post a thread about it later.

As do I sir, but I can't see the solution at present. The death of physical media has long since been a staple of the PC platform and now that consoles are essential low to middle tier PCs they will go the same route. With the death of physical media comes the inevitable splintering of coalitions that were only ever held together by monetary benefits anyway. Every console platform owner wants to eventually not be limited by their own hardware. Every publisher wants to sell direct to customers if possible. All of that said though, I could live with 12 launchers/services vs a monopoly. Steam, although its defined PC gaming for over a decade, deserves some competition. Yes, it could all go to hell in a hand basket, but I'm happy to see competition, free games being offered by every publisher to gain my attention. So far, so good, even if a touch confusing. 

32 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Maybe they touch on this, but I feel it’s less about bursting and more about eventually 1-2 companies are going to really nail it and they’ll be the subscription services we all use. 

I doubt it will ever be that clear cut for games.  

Major publushers won’t jump on board with new titles without some serious leverage.  It’d be like giving Netflix parity with movie theaters.