Avengers: Endgame trailers won't spoil anything past first 20 minutes

15 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Yes, and I find increasing spoilers in trailers in the time post-release to be acceptable. 

Acceptable for who? And how long does one wait to create more spoiler-heavy trailers? I doubt it's acceptable to those who may have wanted to see the movie but haven't yet because they've been too busy, etc. 

21 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question... do people watching a movie for the first time think about the trailer while they’re watching it? I think my memory for movie trailers / content is pretty good. After the movie is over and I’m thinking about it, I connect the dots. But even in something like Ragnarok that has some stuff from the end of the movie in the trailer, I don’t think to myself at the time, “oh hey that’s from the trailer but he had both eyes in it,” until I’m peeing after the credits roll.

I have a great memory and I find I forget some things and then remember them suddenly once I see the scene again on film.

But I still don't want to know a lot of things. Just let me discover big story beats when I see the full film. If the Dark Knight trailers showed 

Spoiler

Gordon getting shot, it would have removed the shock of seeing him supposedly killed (and on-screen, which is more believable than the trope of an off-screen death) and then returning during the big chase. It was a really awesome double-whammy for my audience the first time I watched it, and stuff like that should be left alone.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Acceptable for who? And how long does one wait to create more spoiler-heavy trailers? I doubt it's acceptable to those who may have wanted to see the movie but haven't yet because they've been too busy, etc. 

There's always going to be that argument to make regardless of the timing but they have to be okay at some point. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

A week seems too soon, three weeks seems like it's getting more acceptable.

5 hours ago, ort said:

If I remember correctly, Gi-Ant Man was in Civil War TV commercials like a week after the movie came out.

You got it wrong. Giant Man was spoiled by Lego when they threw him on the cover of the boxes for the Civil War sets that came out leading up to the movie.

I remember that too... but I swear that it was in TV commercials all over, and even though I saw Civil War before I saw those commercials, I thought they took it too far at the time.

LEGO sets spoil movies all the time now.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Speaking of spoilers,  beware... supposedly there's a big plot spoiler floating around the internet for the movie. I myself am going on complete media blackout. Be especially wary of Youtube as it will often put videos with spoilers in their titles in your recommended feed.

Is it LEGOs? It’s always LEGOs. :p

21 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

But why? It's inconsiderate to those who do care. 

I still mark spoilers for old films.

I don't get what's so difficult about it. I watched The Sixth Sense seven years after release and had no idea what the twist was. I knew nothing about Memento's plot until around 5 or 6 years after its release. People are in very small bubbles if they think this doesn't happen; you can easily come into an old movie clean.

Here's another one that'll rattle you: I didn't know why Kane said Rosebud until 11 years ago when I finally watched the movie. Hey, it's like people haven't watched every movie, show, read every book and played every video game that's ever existed up until this point and finally get to things later than others. :shock:

50 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I still mark spoilers for old films.

I don't get what's so difficult about it. I watched The Sixth Sense seven years after release and had no idea what the twist was. I knew nothing about Memento's plot until around 5 or 6 years after its release. People are in very small bubbles if they think this doesn't happen; you can easily come into an old movie clean.

Here's another one that'll rattle you: I didn't know why Kane said Rosebud until 11 years ago when I finally watched the movie. Hey, it's like people haven't watched every movie, show, read every book and played every video game that's ever existed up until this point and finally get to things later than others. :shock:

I fully agree. I think there is a fair moratorium on some spoilers (such as who Darth Vader actually is) if you accidentally run into them you can't be upset (depending on the context of the thread you are in - if you are reading a thread about The Last Jedi, let's say, then yeah, you are possibly going to be spoiled about The Empire Strikes Back).

But broadly speaking - mark your spoilers. I don't see how hard that is. Or check with the person(s) if you are in person if they have seen the movie or show before saying the spoilers. Consideration isn't that difficult in this case. 

On 1/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I agree, but while the movie is still in theaters? 

To some degree it wouldn’t make sense unless the movie was still in theaters, but it also depends on what’s being spoiled.  Spoiling the reveal of a character is different than spoiling a plot turn.

I respect the pressure marketers face in getting people out to see the films and it’s fair to say that enough of the first week’s viewings will go to the most engaged crowd. If you’ve pushed to the second week it’s also fair that despite your intentions to see a film you didn’t/couldn’t make it a priority and a little extra push is not out of line.

The job of crafting a trailer is tough and has typically been independent from the filmmakers themselves. The problem hasn’t so much been spoilers (since a trailer is necessarily a spoiler to some degree) but a lack of respect for the story the trailer is asking the audience to engage with. This news is great because it’s the first of hopefully many commitments to start with that and if the director can’t/won’t be part of that process a blanket “first reel” prohibition is a great place to start. But that doesn’t mean “absolutely no spoilers,” which is basically an impossible ask. 

I recall the trailers for A BEAUTIFUL MIND being particularly respectful of some relatively major plot points that happen really very early in the film despite the fact that it’s a film based on a real person’s life. Despite that it still showed things that were answered questions that were open for most of the film if you paid attention (thinking the ultimate status of the primary relationship). 

At at the end of the day it’s impossible to avoid every spoiler and there’s a legitimate business need for increasing spoilers as time goes on post-release. All I ask is that some consideration go into respecting both the audience and the filmmakers. It’s a tough line to walk.