Avengers: Endgame trailers won't spoil anything past first 20 minutes

I think trailers should exclusively be the last 90 seconds of the movie so people stop being little whiny babies about spoilers, but that’s just me. :p

EDIT - The comments about Ragbarok kind of make my point. Those trailers had lies in them to not reveal stuff. So people knew Hulk was gonna be in the movie, boo boo. :p

EDIT 2 - The first 20 minutes of Infinity War had Loki and Heimdall dying. If they showed that in the trailer people would have lost their shit. This is dumb. 

35 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

EDIT - The comments about Ragbarok kind of make my point. Those trailers had lies in them to not reveal stuff. So people knew Hulk was gonna be in the movie, boo boo. :p

:rolleyes: You know that's not the complaint, and it's not like they could have completely hidden it without hiding that Ruffalo was in the movie. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

:rolleyes: You know that's not the complaint, and it's not like they could have completely hidden it without hiding that Ruffalo was in the movie. 

I honestly don’t recall the issues people had with the Ragnarok trailer other than the Hulk being in it. 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I honestly don’t recall the issues people had with the Ragnarok trailer other than the Hulk being in it. 

It was more specifically that they played the "I know him from work!" scene. I know I personally would have been fine with Hulk being in the trailer if they hadn't played anything from the arena sequence.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think trailers should exclusively be the last 90 seconds of the movie so people stop being little whiny babies about spoilers, but that’s just me. :p

EDIT 2 - The first 20 minutes of Infinity War had Loki and Heimdall dying. If they showed that in the trailer people would have lost their shit. This is dumb. 

C'mon man... spoilers legit ruin the experience of films for some people. Some of my best movie watching experiences has been going into a film knowing little to nothing about it and just watching the film the way the filmmakers intended. It doesn't bother you, cool. But it doesn't make those of us who want to go into a movie as blindly as possible wrong.  That's why I love going to screenings of unreleased movies and film festivals so much. Very little possibility of being spoiled if no one has seen the film yet.

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The trailers showed practically every reveal, every plot point, every twist and ever major set piece, practically in order... including the finale and everything else. They took it too far.

I'm not some sort of precious spoiler snowflake type, but trailers really do show too much these days. It's pretty bad.

The MCU movies are especially bad in this department.

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

It was more specifically that they played the "I know him from work!" scene. I know I personally would have been fine with Hulk being in the trailer if they hadn't played anything from the arena sequence.

Fair enough. 

27 minutes ago, ort said:

The trailers showed practically every reveal, every plot point, every twist and ever major set piece, practically in order... including the finale and everything else. They took it too far.

I'm not some sort of precious spoiler snowflake type, but trailers really do show too much these days. It's pretty bad.

The MCU movies are especially bad in this department.

Assuming I’m remembering the trailer right, they didn’t spoil Odin dying, they didn’t spoil Thor losing his eye, they didn’t spoil Asgard getting destroyed, etc., etc., etc.  Hell other than the comment Jason made they didn’t even spoil that this was a buddy comedy in space which is easily the best, most unique, and most precious aspect of the movie. 

I just can’t get on board with the notion that these trailers spoil THAT much. 

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

C'mon man... spoilers legit ruin the experience of films for some people. Some of my best movie watching experiences has been going into a film knowing little to nothing about it and just watching the film the way the filmmakers intended. It doesn't bother you, cool. But it doesn't make those of us who want to go into a movie as blindly as possible wrong.  That's why I love going to screenings of unreleased movies and film festivals so much. Very little possibility of being spoiled if no one has seen the film yet.

Then don’t watch the trailers at all?

The whole “first 20 minutes thing” is just super fucking dumb. The best part of Man of Steel is the Krypton shit. Rad characters die in the first 20 minutes of Infinity War. The Last Jedi had Luke tossing the saber over his shoulder in the first 20 minutes and a prank call to Hux. 

Either y’all trust studios to not spoil shit and get psyched off a trailer, or you go in blind.  Marvel especially knows what the masses want out of a trailer and gives it to them, given the millions of views their trailers and their subsequent analysis videos get on YouTube.

Movie trailers have spoiled whole twists in films before,  the most recent one I can think of is Terminator Genysys from awhile back. Since I know a lot of trailer editors, I know that studios for the most part don't give a shit about spoilers and it frustrates the hell out of screenwriters and directors. They can do what they want and I acknowledge that, which is why I don't watch every trailer that comes out for a movie I'm looking forward to. The first 20 minutes thing that Fiege is talking about probably means " the first act" and again, I don't think it should be absolute, but it is a good rule of thumb... in my opinion.

I think there are enough movies that have dramatic twists or surprises in the first 20 minutes, including the last Avengers movie, that using that tactic makes no practical sense. If they said “we wanna be better at not spoiling movies in trailers” that would be fine. The 20 minute thing makes no sense at all. 

Also it’s kinda hard to believe that the first 20 minutes of Endgame has Iron Man in space, Ant Man coming to upstate New York, and Cap / Widow coming up with the plan to save everyone. So I already don’t even fucking believe them about the first 20 minutes and nobody else should either :p   

The exhibitor side of the business has been pushing for “nothing past the first reel” for a decade+

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

This isn't a trailer, it's a short film:

Exactly what came to mind. It’s just a short version of the entire flick. So weird.

Honest question... do people watching a movie for the first time think about the trailer while they’re watching it? I think my memory for movie trailers / content is pretty good. After the movie is over and I’m thinking about it, I connect the dots. But even in something like Ragnarok that has some stuff from the end of the movie in the trailer, I don’t think to myself at the time, “oh hey that’s from the trailer but he had both eyes in it,” until I’m peeing after the credits roll.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honest question... do people watching a movie for the first time think about the trailer while they’re watching it? I think my memory for movie trailers / content is pretty good. After the movie is over and I’m thinking about it, I connect the dots. But even in something like Ragnarok that has some stuff from the end of the movie in the trailer, I don’t think to myself at the time, “oh hey that’s from the trailer but he had both eyes in it,” until I’m peeing after the credits roll.

I definitely track the specific scenes in my head (like 'hey, wonder when that one scene will be coming up' or 'x is about to happen next in this scene') But I can't say I've ended up disappointed that something was 'spoiled', since the context and overall narrative changes things so much. Case in point (about to mention God of War, I'll tag it for the spoiler chuds):

Spoiler

I had the Blades of Chaos reveal spoiled for me (well kind of, I intentionally read about it), but the context and scenes surrounding it were so fucking good, I still had a goofy ass, ear-to-ear grin, even though I knew what was coming.

Knowing what to expect doesn't have to negatively affect enjoyment, otherwise large swaths of human life would be vastly different. Media culture, and in particular nerd culture, just seems to have a hard on for MIND BLOWING reveals, and anything short of that is a disappointment.

• Thanks 1

I still remember vividly that when I went to see the Goosebumps movie with my (then) 6-year old son, he turned to me during a scene where they were in a supermarket and whispered in my ear... (here comes the werewolf, I remember it from the trailer).

I think the big problem is that they frequently show all the money shots. How much more fun would the giant ant man scenes in ant-man and the wasp have been if they didn't show us every single one in the trailer?

I'm not saying they should keep everything a secret, but they've gone too far lately. The needle has swung too far to the left and needs an adjustment.

I have a hard time understanding people who seem to be arguing that it's a good thing to show a bunch of spoilers in a trailer.

I can still remember the gasp of the audience at the reveal in Sixth Sense. I’m pretty much I phased by spoilers and think some of the dopey things people consider spoilers is obnoxious, but there are some of those communal moments of realization and reaction that can’t be recreated without some aspects of the film being hidden prior to viewing.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think there are enough movies that have dramatic twists or surprises in the first 20 minutes, including the last Avengers movie, that using that tactic makes no practical sense. If they said “we wanna be better at not spoiling movies in trailers” that would be fine. The 20 minute thing makes no sense at all. 

Also it’s kinda hard to believe that the first 20 minutes of Endgame has Iron Man in space, Ant Man coming to upstate New York, and Cap / Widow coming up with the plan to save everyone. So I already don’t even fucking believe them about the first 20 minutes and nobody else should either :p   

I was kinda thinking that Iron man in space scene could be the opening to the movie.  They don't have to show how all that happens - when he gets rescued in space/or gets back to earth he can explain to Cap how he got off the planet.

34 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I can still remember the gasp of the audience at the reveal in Sixth Sense. I’m pretty much I phased by spoilers and think some of the dopey things people consider spoilers is obnoxious, but there are some of those communal moments of realization and reaction that can’t be recreated without some aspects of the film being hidden prior to viewing.

That’s true, but I don’t think any spoilery trailers we’re discussing come even remotely close to revealing a twist like what The Sixth Sense was working with. 

When I saw Infinity War, people were super surprised when Iron Man got stabbed by Thanos, when everyone got dusted, and how the movie ended. People were surprised when Asgard exploded in Ragnarok.

These trailers absolutely reveal stuff and even though I don’t care about spoilers myself I understand the appeal of going into something fresh. I just think the scuttlebutt about blockbuster trailers revealing too much is much ado about nothing. 

1 hour ago, ort said:

I think the big problem is that they frequently show all the money shots. How much more fun would the giant ant man scenes in ant-man and the wasp have been if they didn't show us every single one in the trailer?

If the trailer for CIVIL WAR spoiled Gi-ant Man I would have been PISSED. His reveal was one of the most happy surprises I’ve seen on the screen in years. 

I can’t even remember a marvel movie trailer right now. All I can remember is IT TAKES TWO TO MAKE A THING GO RI-IGHT from Antman and the Wasp. 

I really only watch trailers when I’m at the theatre and I can’t think of one that made a movie worse because of what they put in the trailer. But then again, I don’t watch a movie and try to connect the dots and predict the ending like my friend does who says “yeah I figured that would happen” during every movie. Shut up bitch no you didn’t. 

17 hours ago, Anathema- said:

If the trailer for CIVIL WAR spoiled Gi-ant Man I would have been PISSED. His reveal was one of the most happy surprises I’ve seen on the screen in years. 

If I remember correctly, Gi-Ant Man was in Civil War TV commercials like a week after the movie came out.

34 minutes ago, ort said:

If I remember correctly, Gi-Ant Man was in Civil War TV commercials like a week after the movie came out.

I think it may have been a decent amount if time after the movie was out... like three weeks or something. It definitely wasn't before.

A more egregious example is the last Terminator movie I mentioned earlier.  The Marketing for that movie spoiled several twists in the movie that the filmmakers never intended.