Former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords to help introduce gun background check legislation

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/gabby-giffords-gun-background-check-legislation/index.html?

Former Arizona Rep. Gabby Giffords will return to Capitol Hill this week to help Democrats, who now control the House, introduce a bill requiring background checks on private transactions related to gun sales.

Democrats will introduce the bill on Tuesday afternoon, the 8th anniversary of the shooting that nearly killed Gaffords and left six others dead. She'll join newly-elected House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Rep. Mike Thompson, a California Democrat, to unveil the bill.

48 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If this background check bill makes me pay a gun shop to conduct the background check, that's a hard no from me.  Open up the background check system directly to the buyers and sellers and make it a free service, and you'll have my support.  

You have a hobby that costs money. Boo hoo.

44 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I suppose if you don't want people to comply with the law, make it as difficult and/or expensive as possible.

There is a chilling effect depending on implementation and degree of severity, to be fair. Go too far, then yes, your concern is real. But do it right, and it should work and be effective.