Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BlueAngel

PC Tech SSD advice

Recommended Posts

So umm my SSD just took a shit on me, was browsing and the PC blue screened and now the drive no longer shows up in bios so looks like it kicked the bucket. So what are decent drives these days? I had the crucial MX100 256GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crucial MX500/Samsung Evo 860

 

Crucial MX500 will net you around the same real world speeds as a 860 Evo, but the Evo's should last much longer. I just went with what was cheaper at the time and ended up getting the MX500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Crucial MX500/Samsung Evo 860

 

Crucial MX500 will net you around the same real world speeds as a 860 Evo, but the Evo's should last much longer. I just went with what was cheaper at the time and ended up getting the MX500

Think I'm gonna steer clear of crucial this time, 3 years doesn't sit well with me. My WD black 1tb is still going strong, I use it as a storage drive at this point but it will be my main drive until I get a new one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Think I'm gonna steer clear of crucial this time, 3 years doesn't sit well with me. My WD black 1tb is still going strong, I use it as a storage drive at this point but it will be my main drive until I get a new one. 

For a 500GB your sitting at less than a $20 difference, I would have definitely jumped on the Samsung. I got the MX500 at $90 I think, so it was a pretty clear cut decision for me.

These go on sale often so it might be worth waiting.

 

Actually for whatever reason Amazon has two links for the 860 evo. Its a good price right now

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1546908864&sr=8-4&keywords=crucial+mx500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the hell of it in my rage I removed it from my pc and threw it on the floor, put it back in and it works... Don't know for how long though. And what is nvme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't even know if my motherboard will support that.

 

Intel® Z97 chipset : 
1 x SATA Express port, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode)

 

Let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is known to happen with Crucial SSDs.  You can power cycle them to get them re-appear and they'll work fine after that.  My old Crucial SSD disappeared from the system years ago, but after power cycling it's been working fine since.  

 

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

 

Try updating to the latest firmware to also not have this happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Don't even know if my motherboard will support that.

 

Intel® Z97 chipset : 
1 x SATA Express port, compatible with 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode)

 

Let me know.

 

Yep you're good to go for an NVME drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This is known to happen with Crucial SSDs.  You can power cycle them to get them re-appear and they'll work fine after that.  My old Crucial SSD disappeared from the system years ago, but after power cycling it's been working fine since.  

 

https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

 

Try updating to the latest firmware to also not have this happen again.

 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

 

Yep you're good to go for an NVME drive.

It's updated to the latest firmware unfortunately, thanks though I will look into that M.2 SSD soon. Seems to be a lot faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, mikechorney said:

If I were buying a new SSD, I would strongly consider a Samsung 960 Pro m.2.

I mean besides the better read/write is there really any advantage in getting a 960 over an 860? Form factor?

I just can't justify an additional $100+ for something that really isn't going to save you any real world speeds (depending on what you are doing).

PRO is definitely the better choice as its MLC vs TLC so it should last a lot longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nokt said:

I mean besides the better read/write is there really any advantage in getting a 960 over an 860? Form factor?

I just can't justify an additional $100+ for something that really isn't going to save you any real world speeds (depending on what you are doing).

PRO is definitely the better choice as its MLC vs TLC so it should last a lot longer.

NVMe drives deliver significantly faster real world speeds.  If you don't want to take advantage of them, then no, there really isn't any other benefit.  Of course, you could save even more money and get a HDD.

Personally, I use me NVME for my boot drive, and the 1 or 2 games that I am actively playing.

I use a cheaper SSD for holding games I only occasionally play.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

NVMe drives deliver significantly faster real world speeds.  If you don't want to take advantage of them, then no, there really isn't any other benefit.  Of course, you could save even more money and get a HDD.

Personally, I use me NVME for my boot drive, and the 1 or 2 games that I am actively playing.

I use a cheaper SSD for holding games I only occasionally play.

In what situations though? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm in the same boat I'm looking to buy a 1TB drive, but I can't find any real world use that makes the extra money worth it.

 

Boot time increases by a few seconds. Game loading times increase by a few seconds. Transferring files from other drives will depend on their read/write on those drives. I mean if you have the money why not, but I can't find a reason to recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nokt said:

In what situations though? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm in the same boat I'm looking to buy a 1TB drive, but I can't find any real world use that makes the extra money worth it.

 

Boot time increases by a few seconds. Game loading times increase by a few seconds. Transferring files from other drives will depend on their read/write on those drives. I mean if you have the money why not, but I can't find a reason to recommend it.

Loading speeds increase.  Everything you just said applies to the choice of buying an SSD vs. a HDD.  If loading times don't matter to you, buy the cheaper drive.

 

The three attributes you are paying for in a drive are capacity, speed and longevity.  Pick what you want, and buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend and I are playing Destiny 2 and he's using an NVME and I'm using a samsung SSD and he loads in like 5 - 10 seconds before me usually.

 

Like Mike I'm using my NVME for a boot drive (previously I had a SSD as a boot drive but when I built a new computer I switched it up to NVME being the boot and SSD being for games instead of SSD for boot and Mechanical for games)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My friend and I are playing Destiny 2 and he's using an NVME and I'm using a samsung SSD and he loads in like 5 - 10 seconds before me usually.

 

Like Mike I'm using my NVME for a boot drive (previously I had a SSD as a boot drive but when I built a new computer I switched it up to NVME being the boot and SSD being for games instead of SSD for boot and Mechanical for games)

That's pretty consistent with my experience -- I notice it most in games like Forza when there are relatively long load times between races.  I moved Forza 7 over to my regular SSD to make space on my NVME drive -- and after 1 night of gaming moved it back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Loading speeds increase.  Everything you just said applies to the choice of buying an SSD vs. a HDD.  If loading times don't matter to you, buy the cheaper drive.

 

The three attributes you are paying for in a drive are capacity, speed and longevity.  Pick what you want, and buy it.

Right, but the difference between an SSD and HDD in a real world situation is 30+ seconds. The difference is between NVME/SSD is usually less than 5 seconds. Again depending on what you are doing, but thats kind of where I'm at. Where does this make sense for an average user or even a gamer really?

 

Like video editing, photoshop, large file transfers I could definitely see NVME really coming into play here. Its not that load times aren't important its just how much you're willing to spend for a couple seconds here and there. I get that it will add up over time, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...