Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

If one were to bother with an adaptation of Dune, better to watch the 2000 ScyFy miniseries than the David Lynch movie.

I've been meaning to watch that miniseries actually. It was recommended to me by a couple people when I read the book a couple years ago.

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

If one were to bother with an adaptation of Dune, better to watch the 2000 ScyFy miniseries than the David Lynch movie.

Well I mean it was a statement directed at this poster in particular. :p

That being said I enjoyed the Lynch movie unlike the rest of these HATERS in this thread!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

In case anyone is interested Jodorowsky’s Dune soundtrack is on Spotify. It’s a very proggy synth heavy album. If you dig the BladeRunner sound track , you will like this.

I'm definitely checking this out. I listen to the Blade Runner soundtrack a decent amount on my Spotify work playlist.

7 hours ago, Nokt said:

I've been meaning to watch that miniseries actually. It was recommended to me by a couple people when I read the book a couple years ago.

It's dated but it's otherwise a decent (though not good or great) adaptation of Dune. It also adapted books 2 and 3 (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune) into a combined sequel miniseries, Children of Dune, which was also pretty decent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Riley refuses to use prescribed threads. :nottalking:

I just hate restating my overall feelings on something with every new thread rather than solely just commenting on the newest news about the thing. Feels best to always have in one place. If there is a Dune thread, I thought there was.

5 hours ago, heydude93 said:

How likely is it the sequel material to this will be made as a miniseries for streaming?

It has a spin-off show coming out (not adapting the other books though), but I imagine sequels (adapting the sequel books) will be in movie form or not at all. Villenueve already has the script ready to go to shoot the second half of this duology adaptation of the first book, if this movie does well enough.

• Thanks 1

Fucking yes. Almost everything in that teaser was a quote or image from the book! And I'm glad it was a teaser that explained nothing and spoiled little. I mean, this is Villenueve. Almost everyone doing this project adores the books, so I hope that helps. I really hate they didn't shoot the whole book at once, the two films back-to-back.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478kcn8lp6weqv5dsnni

Edit: Dune press conference, with some excellent Villeneuve quotes where he explains the two caveats WB had to meet to get him to do Dune: https://www.slashfilm.com/dune-interview-press-conference/

"They didn't shoot Jaws in a swimming pool, you know?" made me ROFL hard.

Of all upcoming movies, this is the one I most want to be as good as it can be. That trailer looks better than I hoped.

The production design feels fitting. The ornithopters, shields, stillsuits, and sand worms all look great. I really liked the small bit of hand to hand combat we saw. There's a tremendous sense of scale that I hope holds up throughout. Chalamet seems poised to really capture the character.

I want to beware of too much hype, but I also just want to give in.

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Looks great, and I feel like in a post GoT world that the market is primed for quality Fantasy filmmaking.

Agreed - and what will help I think is by the time this releases, since it was one of the last pre-Covid blockbuster shoots to finish, people will be starved for "epic" content. I hope it gets us at least the second film!

13 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Of all upcoming movies, this is the one I most want to be as good as it can be. That trailer looks better than I hoped.

The production design feels fitting. The ornithopters, shields, stillsuits, and sand worms all look great. I really liked the small bit of hand to hand combat we saw. There's a tremendous sense of scale that I hope holds up throughout. Chalamet seems poised to really capture the character.

I want to beware of too much hype, but I also just want to give in.

This post echoes my thoughts better exactly. I'm so cautious, but I want to buy in.