Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

2 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

There's nothing outlandish stating Dune is overrated. it's just as common as saying it's great. People have been saying it for years. It's just an opinion. If you don't agree with that opinion then say so and move on. No need to get personal. Peace be with you. 

I agree with you - if that opinion came from anyone else I would say so, but you saying it feels part of a larger aspect of you as a person that I have observed over time. Like I said, the post was a general comment, not just a comment directed towards your opinion of Dune.

I really hold no ill will towards you, I'm just calling them like I see them. If you disagree with my assessment of you that's fine but I stand by what I think, and not just because of your opinion towards Dune (that would be silly). Peace with you as well. 

12 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Just as long as we agree on Frank Herbert's latent anti-Jew/pro-Arab subtext in Dune.

One could certainly read Dune's subtext that way, but I'm not sure if it was intentional (the anti-Jew part; the book is clearly trying to be pro-Middle Eastern, but as a means of telling a story about oppression whilst shedding light on a culture that is villified in the West). 

As someone who just read Dune, I thought it was pretty good.

Overrated? Maybe a tad, but its not really a book that gets brought up in a lot of discussions. Makes me think that it was more a book of its time and just isn't as popular by today's standards.

That said, I'm still looking very forward to the movie.

On 1/9/2019 at 12:21 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I agree with you - if that opinion came from anyone else I would say so, but you saying it feels part of a larger aspect of you as a person that I have observed over time. Like I said, the post was a general comment, not just a comment directed towards your opinion of Dune.

I really hold no ill will towards you, I'm just calling them like I see them. If you disagree with my assessment of you that's fine but I stand by what I think, and not just because of your opinion towards Dune (that would be silly). Peace with you as well. 

While I agree with you regarding him, THIS is thing that finally made you feel inclined to mention it? :P About 8 years late!

• Haha 1

There is no question Dune is a difficult read, but a very worthy one for the person willing to put in the work. The book asks a lot of its reader - just to understand the world requires a perusal of the glossary of terms every time a new word comes up for awhile until the definitions start sticking. But the backstory and mythology of the Dune universe (particularly with Frank Herbert's six books - ignore everything else after that) is so interesting and trippy and philosophical that it's all worth it I think. 

People aren't even aware that Dune (the first book) is the least interesting one once you know the universe and characters. The fourth book, God Emperor of Dune, is my personal favorite, and the high point of the saga.

The closest thing I can equate Dune to is to the manga and anime series Berserk (if you are familiar with that). They have similar philosophical, existential, and spiritual themes and vibes. 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

There is no question Dune is a difficult read, but a very worthy one for the person willing to put in the work. The book asks a lot of its reader - just to understand the world requires a perusal of the glossary of terms every time a new word comes up for awhile until the definitions start sticking. But the backstory and mythology of the Dune universe (particularly with Frank Herbert's six books - ignore everything else after that) is so interesting and trippy and philosophical that it's all worth it I think. 

People aren't even aware that Dune (the first book) is the least interesting one once you know the universe and characters. The fourth book, God Emperor of Dune, is my personal favorite, and the high point of the saga.

The closest thing I can equate Dune to is to the manga and anime series Berserk (if you are familiar with that). They have similar philosophical, existential, and spiritual themes and vibes. 

Dune has way less tentacle rape. 

• Haha 1

Nice additions to the cast. Definitely looking forward to this. Been wanting a good adaptation of the book since I read it back in high school and if anyone can pull it off it'd be Denis. Fwiw I did enjoy the miniseries back in the day for what it was but even then it felt dated as a production. Only thing I ever really liked from Lynch's movie was Patrick Stewart playing Gurney Halleck.