Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

5 hours ago, Nokra said:

I've never read the books :blush: but I do love the simplistic art on that. Is that a new edition that's releasing soon?

No, that's the copy that's already out with an introduction by Neil Gaiman. I bought it in 2018 for my re-read - it's a beautiful hardcover book you can easily display on a shelf. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-Penguin-Galaxy-Frank-Herbert/dp/0143111582/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Dune+neil+gaiman+hardcover&qid=1580697982&s=books&sr=1-1

A lot of the Dune books have beautiful cover art. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Are there any plans for all six main books to be adapted in some form (keeping continuity with Villeneuve’s films)?

I don't think so. I believe that Villeneuve's films will only cover the first book, and we also know about the Bene Gesserit series, though it's unclear what events it will follow. It seems like Warner is intent on making Dune into a larger media property, but I imagine that it largely rests on the success of these first goes. If they take off, I wouldn't be surprised to see either an HBO Max series or additional films, but as much as I love Dune, I wouldn't personally bet on it being a big money maker.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Are there any plans for all six main books to be adapted in some form (keeping continuity with Villeneuve’s films)?

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I don't think so. I believe that Villeneuve's films will only cover the first book, and we also know about the Bene Gesserit series, though it's unclear what events it will follow. It seems like Warner is intent on making Dune into a larger media property, but I imagine that it largely rests on the success of these first goes. If they take off, I wouldn't be surprised to see either an HBO Max series or additional films, but as much as I love Dune, I wouldn't personally bet on it being a big money maker.

Denis wants to do all six books, but as @TwinIon said it entirely depends on how the first movie does (which is only adapting the first half of the first book). Warners has said they already plan on doing the second film to adapt the rest of the first book, and Denis (with Eric Roth and Jon Spaihts) have already written part two (but Warners won't do it if the first doesn't do well - it's very much an "It" then "It: Chapter Two"-type situation). My understanding is that Warners wants this to be one of their multimedia franchises, their "Star Wars for adults" MCU style. Denis is such a big fan of the books I believe that if they were all greenlit he would do all 6 books (I can dream . . .). But the first has to do really well. But already greenlighting a TV series tells you what their intentions are should this all make money.

• 2 months later...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac?mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=vf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Paul (Timothée Chalamet) and Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson)

0520-Dune-Tout-Lede.jpg

Chani (Zendaya)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-01.jpg

Duke Leto(Oscar Isaac)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-04c.jpg

Gurney Halleck (Josh Brolin)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-04a.jpg

Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-04b.jpg

Stilgar (Javier Bardem)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-03.jpg

The whole gang

0520-Dune-Ebmed-02.jpg

Duncan Idaho (Jason Momoa)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-05.jpg

Liet Kynes (Sharon Duncan-Brewster)

0520-Dune-Ebmed-06.jpg

• Like 1

Man I have a high tolerance for geeky shit, but Dune is just over the top...Duncan Idaho, Swordmaster for House Atreides and Duke Leto, who along with his son must fight off the Baron and protect the spice. It's like a random jumble of titles and tropes, then you throw in normal names like 'Paul' to run alongside shit like 'Gurney' and it becomes an even bigger mess. 

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Man I have a high tolerance for geeky shit, but Dune is just over the top...Duncan Idaho, Swordmaster for House Atreides and Duke Leto, who along with his son must fight off the Baron and protect the spice. It's like a random jumble of titles and tropes, then you throw in normal names like 'Paul' to run alongside shit like 'Gurney' and it becomes an even bigger mess. 

Not just 'Paul' he's Paul Atreides!

I vaguely remember watching the first movie when it first came out... Is it something to watch again just to get an idea of what this story is about? I'm seeing this new one for the director alone,  but I don't know if I'll be robbing myself of hype for the story since I don't really recall what happened in it...

16 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I vaguely remember watching the first movie when it first came out... Is it something to watch again just to get an idea of what this story is about? I'm seeing this new one for the director alone,  but I don't know if I'll be robbing myself of hype for the story since I don't really recall what happened in it...

Even better, watch Jodorowsky's Dune, a documentary about "cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky's unsuccessful attempt to adapt and film Frank Herbert's 1965 science fiction novel Dune in the mid-1970s."

The attempt was incredibly ambitious and even more incredibly weird. Pretty much all of the Alien franchise's visual ideas came from this attempt (H.R. Giger was brought in to create visual effect/concepts). Salvador Dali was hired to play Padishah Emperor Shaddam Corrino IV, and was going to be paid $1 million per minute. The whole thing was fucked up and crazy, and the ideas were insane. I mean, David Carradine, Orson Welles, and Mick Jagger in roles! The team he assembled went on to have a huge impact on science fiction films for decades.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

Dune is awesome. Frank Herbert spent a long time creating a very in-depth universe, it's not just a random jumble of titles and tropes, but different cultures, etc. 

2 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

The David Lynch movie is awful, don't bother with it.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Dune is awesome. Frank Herbert spent a long time creating a very in-depth universe, it's not just a random jumble of titles and tropes, but different cultures, etc

Swordmaster Idaho has a thing or two to say about that. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

His brain might explode. 

I feel bad for you! Missing out. :p

Here’s the thing: I love ridiculous, dumb things, so in that sense I can totally get behind all of this. But I feel like Dune (and sci-fi in general) is often held up as some kind of intellectual exercise, and that’s a really hard sell when the author in question leaned back and said, “What if Islam and Buddhism had a baby?” 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Here’s the thing: I love ridiculous, dumb things, so in that sense I can totally get behind all of this. But I feel like Dune (and sci-fi in general) is often held up as some kind of intellectual exercise, and that’s a really hard sell when the author in question leaned back and said, “What if Islam and Buddhism had a baby?” 

Don't forget the Butlerian Jihad, the war between man and thinking machines (and the reason why spice is so required in the universe, to enhance human minds). From the Orange Catholic Bible: Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.

It really is a great universe.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I felt that way about A Clockwork Orange on paper as well but then I actually read it and it was amazing to see how you bend to its world as a reader.

PS: This is not what I expected somehow in terms of the images. I trust in Villeneuve big time, he's my favorite active director probably, but this looks surprisingly like not-very-good cosplay or something. Probably because it's out of context or something, I don't know.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

Yeah, but when you read the books it makes sense. This takes place thousands of years into the future, cultures and religions would change dramatically compared to what they are today. 

6 hours ago, Chris- said:

If Dune follows any Scifi tropes, it's because Herbert invented them for the rest.

6 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

No.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

Have you *read* much science fiction, or are you mainly thinking of movies? Scifi movies tend to edge more toward fantasy; even the books they tend to choose to adapt edge more toward fantasy. There's a lot of scifi books that explore intellectual ideas or play around with grounded concepts and their implications for humanity.

Granted, I say this as someone who personally probably reads more on the fantasy side of scifi, but if you talk to people who read a lot of scifi there absolutely are a bunch of scifi novels that are more intellectually involved.

9 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Is it something to watch again just to get an idea of what this story is about? I'm seeing this new one for the director alone,  but I don't know if I'll be robbing myself of hype for the story since I don't really recall what happened in it...

You should watch the old one because then you can hate on the changes to the new one.

• Haha 1