Disney puts the brakes on "A Star Wars Story" anthology films

I think this will be good for them to go back and look over what is best to do.  Feel the new SW movies if anything just feel a mess.  I feelings on the new trilogy is mixed due to the love I had of all the EU (Legends) stories and history.

I saw Solo and wasn't that bad.  I did eye roll as several story, character elements .

I really can’t wrap my brain around all the complaints about the anthology movies. They are infinitely better than the latest 2 parts of the main trilogy. 

Rogue One was fantastic. IMO, next to the OT, it’s the next best Star Wars movie. Solo was a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Why would anyone want less Star Wars?  I’ll gladly go see any SW movie they throw at me. One movie a year is fine. Keep telling the stories. 

On the other hand, people eat the marvel movies up and i am just so sick and not excited for them anymore. It’s the same movie swapping characters. I would’ve stopped going to see these movies a while ago if it wasn’t for my kids. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

I really can’t wrap my brain around all the complaints about the anthology movies. They are infinitely better than the latest 2 parts of the main trilogy. 

Rogue One was fantastic. IMO, next to the OT, it’s the next best Star Wars movie. Solo was a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Why would anyone want less Star Wars?  I’ll gladly go see any SW movie they throw at me. One movie a year is fine. Keep telling the stories. 

On the other hand, people eat the marvel movies up and i am just so sick and not excited for them anymore. It’s the same movie swapping characters. I would’ve stopped going to see these movies a while ago if it wasn’t for my kids. 

So you want the same thing you're feeling about MCU films to be replicated with Star Wars?

Star Wars doesn't need a movie every year. Especially if they let quality slide and just make winking self-references every other one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

So you want the same thing you're feeling about MCU films to be replicated with Star Wars?

Star Wars doesn't need a movie every year. Especially if they let quality slide and just make winking self-references every other one.

Marvel is doing like 3 movies a year...and still smashing records. 

I specifically stated one a year is fine. I think the issue with Solo was that it  was released too close to Ep.8 and too close to Avengers. 

It shouldve been a Q4 release.

I didn't want Solo, but I saw it & really enjoyed it. It's no Rogue One, but I would definitely buy it for my collection. 

I was really hoping

Maul

would be carried over to the Obi Wan movie, but oh well I guess. Such a shame, because McGregor seems very keen to do it and he's pretty much the only part of the PT nobody seems to have a problem with. 

6 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Regarding the spoiler tag:

Hide contents

They sort of blew their wad already by killing Maul in Rebels. Would have been a great cameo had they done a Kenobi film.

Oh, I don't watch any of the animated stuff so I didn't know that. I was hoping for a Kenobi / Maul rematch, where both are Masters now.

Between Rian Johnson's trilogy and the Benioff and Weiss trilogy, I don't expect we'll run out of Star Wars films anytime soon.

What I want from Disney here is simply to raise the bar for what gets greenlit. If someone has a great take on a great story in the Star Wars universe, then by all means, make the movie. What they don't need to do is go through the OT with a fine tooth comb and make origin stories or spinoffs of everyone and explain everything just because we heard someone talk about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The two announced teams currently working on trilogies have not been cancelled at this point... however I would not count Rian's trilogy as a slam dunk at this point.  I think Disney is taking a step back to figure everything out.  Ep 8 was divisive for the fan base, I would not be surprised for them to move on from Rian.  There are a lot of quality directors out there who would not bring pre-existing baggage to a new very expensive trilogy.  

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

I kid I know some decided not to watch Solo at all but I also think some big time fans might have only watched it once.

This reminds me of a story I read where some dude saw Infinity War like some 60+ times. I'm sure there are similar fans for Star Wars that do the same so by them seeing it once actually does affect the box office :p

1 hour ago, number305 said:

The two announced teams currently working on trilogies have not been cancelled at this point... however I would not count Rian's trilogy as a slam dunk at this point.  I think Disney is taking a step back to figure everything out.  Ep 8 was divisive for the fan base, I would not be surprised for them to move on from Rian.  There are a lot of quality directors out there who would not bring pre-existing baggage to a new very expensive trilogy.  

Disney likes making money, Johnson’s entry made well over a billion dollars at the box office alone. They don’t care about divisiveness in the fan base as long as they sell tickets and merch.