Maine’s Collins “getting ready to run” again in 2020

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Even IF she survives a primary challenge, whatever Dem runs will beat her. Don't be surprised to see her switch parties or run as an "independent".

She'd go down in flames trying to get through a Democratic primary, and I'd be extremely disappointed in the people of Maine if running as an independent is enough to fool them regarding an incumbent Senator. 

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Didn't Murkowski pull that off?

Murkowski ran as a write-in Republican in 2010, she never ran an as independent: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_Senate_election_in_Alaska#General_election

She was also still relatively popular outside of the Tea Party-driven primary voter base (and it was a narrow loss in the primary to boot). Whereas as the last surviving Congressional Republican from New England, I think the writing's on the wall for Collins.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I can easily see her winning. This state elected, then reelected Paul lepage. And the anger from her kav vote will not be there in two years time.

LePage won with a plurality in 2014 because two Democratic candidates split the vote; the two of them together had a majority of the vote. And LePage winning due to a split vote Democratic in that election, IIRC, was the direct impetus for Maine voters passing the ranked choice voting ballot initiative in 2018.

• Like 1

Collins has pretended to be a "moderate" for years by voting with Democrats on bills where she wasn't really the deciding vote, with a few exceptions (she and two other Republicans voted for the stimulus). The facade is fading for her, though I hope it continues to into next year.

Then she can be honest since she's not in elected office which is really stupid.

24 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Every twisted fiction Stephen King has ever dreamt up and set in a Maine town could be visited upon them for real and it still would not atone for giving us Paul "where are da white women at" LePage.

In their defense, it was always a multi-person race and he never received a majority of the vote. The Democrat just got a majority of the vote in a 3-person race.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

In their defense, it was always a multi-person race and he never received a majority of the vote. The Democrat Republican just got a majority plurality of the vote in a 3-person race.

words how do they work

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Pretty well considering the Democrat just received a majority in a 3-person race last year.

Republican got plurality. Dem got majority. In their defense. It all makes sense. Words are good, dawg.

Do you mean the two Democrats combined?

18 hours ago, Jason said:

LePage won with a plurality in 2014 because two Democratic candidates split the vote; the two of them together had a majority of the vote. And LePage winning due to a split vote Democratic in that election, IIRC, was the direct impetus for Maine voters passing the ranked choice voting ballot initiative in 2018.

This is 100% correct. The majority of voters were disgusted he was re-elected and it did directly lead to ranked choice ballot initiate. Which showed up this last election when Poliquin would have won with less than 50% of the vote. Ranked Choice kicked in and he ended up losing. A republican lost in a district that is as close to the Deep South you’re going it get in New England. 

Collins stood zero chance of ever getting re-elected the second her bullshit statement came out about the Supreme Court nomination. We’re done with her. 

16 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This is 100% correct. The majority of voters were disgusted he was re-elected and it did directly lead to ranked choice ballot initiate. Which showed up this last election when Poliquin would have won with less than 50% of the vote. Ranked Choice kicked in and he ended up losing. A republican lost in a district that is as close to the Deep South you’re going it get in New England. 

Collins stood zero chance of ever getting re-elected the second her bullshit statement came out about the Supreme Court nomination. We’re done with her. 

I hope so. I feel like her facade is fading, but I haven't see her approval numbers, and she's always won reelection so damn easily, likely due to incumbency. That's my felling, anyway, since the minute Olympia Snowe retired, Angus King won election easily.

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I really, really hope she loses. Her support for Kavanaugh was revolting.

The best part:

Senate Republicans, not the White House, set the scope of the FBI probe into sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh, including the decision not to interview the Supreme Court nominee or accuser Christine Blasey Ford, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

In an interview shortly before the Senate is set to vote on confirming Kavanaugh, McConnell said GOP members of the Judiciary Committee made the decision in a meeting with two other Republicans who were at the time withholding their support, Senator Susan Collins of Maine and Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska.

http://time.com/5417830/mcconnell-senate-republicans-fbi-probe/

14 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Oh come now, @Jason, eat crow. Don't just vanish. :p 

Also, it's not said in the headline but is in the opening paragraph: she won't officially make a decision until the end of the year. So she'll be looking at a lot of polling, I assume.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:58 PM, SaysWho? said:

In their defense, it was always a multi-person race and he never received a majority of the vote. The Democrat just got a majority of the vote in a 3-person race.

Apparently my failure here was on what sense of "just" you were using. 🤦‍♂️ I thought you meant "just" as in "it's just the case that" not "most recently".