Washington Gov. Inslee to pardon thousands convicted of marijuana possession

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/legal-pot/washington-gov-inslee-pardon-thousands-convicted-marijuana-possession-n954981

Seattle, San Francisco, Denver and some local prosecutors in New York City, where marijuana remains illegal, are clearing old marijuana convictions en masse, and a new law in California requires prosecutors to erase or reduce an estimated 220,000 pot convictions.

Inslee's plan appears to be the first that creates a streamlined process for pardoning misdemeanor marijuana possession convictions statewide, though Michigan's governor-elect, Democrat Gretchen Whitmer, has suggested she will consider doing so. In Washington, people will be able to use a simple form on the governor's website to ask for a pardon of a single conviction dating as far back as 1998.

To be eligible, people must have been convicted as an adult, and the conviction must be the only one on their record.

Just now, Massdriver said:

Texas may actually pass some sort of reform this session. The governor is on board for lowering penalties for possession. We are only 20 years behind: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2019/01/03/texas-marijuana-advocates-get-fired-decriminalize-pot-2019

I would be shocked if the Texas legislature can get their shit together long enough to vote on any substantial reform. They already failed once to even vote to decriminalize marijuana, and both Democrats and Republicans wanted to see it happen. 

6 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I would be shocked if the Texas legislature can get their shit together long enough to vote on any substantial reform. They already failed once to even vote to decriminalize marijuana, and both Democrats and Republicans wanted to see it happen. 

If it made it to the House floor, it would likely win with 90-100 votes. Leadership has held it back in the past. Specifically, Speaker Joe Straus kept it from being voted on (I have my suspicions that this was under the private direction of Governor Abbott). We have a new speaker now, and the governor is on board. The Texas GOP has also endorsed civil penalties. It's a lot different this year. The major hiccups would likely come from our Lt Gov.