20 years ago today, Mick Foley put butts in the seats

16 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I thought this was gonna be about the Mick Foley vs Undertaker: Hell in a Cell match.

That didn't put butts in the seats (on the contrary, everyone jumped out of their seats). This literally shifted hundreds of thousand of people to Raw after the comment was made sarcastically on WCW.

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

That didn't put butts in the seats (on the contrary, everyone jumped out of their seats). This literally shifted hundreds of thousand of people to Raw after the comment was made sarcastically on WCW.

If I’m remembering my wrestling history correctly, WCW not realizing that Mick Foley was actually popular and “spoiling” the end of the pre-taped Raw cost them dearly. Not only did a huge chunk of their audience immediately change the channel to see Foley win his first heavyweight championship, but WCW Nitro was never able to overtake Raw in the ratings again after this blunder.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

If I’m remembering my wrestling history correctly, WCW not realizing that Mick Foley was actually popular and “spoiling” the end of the pre-taped Raw cost them dearly. Not only did a huge chunk of their audience immediately change the channel to see Foley win his first heavyweight championship, but WCW Nitro was never able to overtake Raw in the ratings again after this blunder.

I forget if it was that, partially that, or people knew they were gonna get a guaranteed title change. Either way, Nitro's "fingerpoke of doom" didn't help. I don't know if it's AS crucial as people say it was, but I know it didn't help that Raw's taped ending was spectacular and better than Nitro's live one.

My favorite wrestler ever.

Tough as nails but never macho or a bully. And just an all around generally good human being.

When you see so many of the wrestlers from his era coming to bad ends it's even more impressive that after all the damage he took, and brain damage he received, he went on to have a wonderful family life, best selling author, stand-up comedian, as well as work with various charities. 

One of my favorite post-wrestling stories about Mick is how a reporter supposedly saw Mick in a Santa costume acting as a mall Santa and wrote a sad article about how it was a shame to see these old washed up wrestlers having to scrounge around crappy jobs to make enough money to live on.

But, as anyone who knows about Mick's personal life, he is pretty well set on money and is just a huge Christmasholic, often doing Santa gigs now for charity.

34 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I forget if it was that, partially that, or people knew they were gonna get a guaranteed title change. Either way, Nitro's "fingerpoke of doom" didn't help. I don't know if it's AS crucial as people say it was, but I know it didn't help that Raw's taped ending was spectacular and better than Nitro's live one.

I’m going purely by ratings charts I remember seeing in one of the documentaries I’ve watched. :)