GOP Sen. Roberts of Kansas won’t run in 2020

https://apnews.com/f8c5a2a4af4a4e21ac00b9a08fe72271?

Longtime Republican Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas will not seek re-election in 2020, setting up an intense political scramble to replace him.

A person with knowledge of the 82-year-old senator’s decision says Roberts will make the announcement Friday. The person declined to be named, saying Roberts wanted to make the announcement himself.

Roberts has spent decades in Congress but faced pressure to step aside in part because he would have been 84 when facing voters. He also faced grueling primary and general election contests in 2014.

Roberts began his Capitol Hill career as an aide in 1967. He won a U.S. House seat representing western Kansas in 1980 and was elected to the Senate in 1996. But his longevity became a liability during his 2014 campaign.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Republicans are going to get massacred in the general election in 2020 on all levels, and they have a lot more seats to defend than they did in 2018 and they don't yet appear to even be trying to save face or distance themselves from Trump.

They are MANA-FUCKED.

Let's hold our horses here, friend. :p 

I had some people on Reset confidently tell me that the Rust Belt has swung back to Dems. I'm like, "Look, sometimes the midterms can be indicative of stuff, but the Rust Belt didn't swing to Republicans despite massive gains in 2010."

It could be a 2006->2008 deal where Dems win even bigger in 2020, but let's hold off from predictions for now. :p 

14 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Let's hold our horses here, friend. :p 

I had some people on Reset confidently tell me that the Rust Belt has swung back to Dems. I'm like, "Look, sometimes the midterms can be indicative of stuff, but the Rust Belt didn't swing to Republicans despite massive gains in 2010."

It could be a 2006->2008 deal where Dems win even bigger in 2020, but let's hold off from predictions for now. :p 

While I agree, I think we'll see more of the same in 2020 that we saw in 2018 because Republicans will continue to fuck up for the next two years as they have the past two and thus the same conditions will exist in 2020 as they did in 2018.