A woman who's been in a vegetative state for at least 14 yrs, gave birth to a baby boy Saturday. She was being cared for at a long-term care facility in Phoenix. Now investigators are searching for who raped her.

Shitty nursing home has history of being shitty

Hacienda’s annual average cost of care was $386,000 per client in 2012 compared with $134,000 per client in similar U.S. facilities, Arizona Department of Economic Security auditors said.

This part pisses me the fuck off the most. The level of care you could provide at home with that kind of funding incredible, instead a resident gets raped. I get $42k a year for home care which only covers 57 hours a week of my 168 hour need. If I need more than 57 hours, the state argues a nursing home is cheaper. 

29 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Shitty nursing home has history of being shitty

This part pisses me the fuck off the most. The level of care you could provide at home with that kind of funding incredible, instead a resident gets raped. I get $42k a year for home care which only covers 57 hours a week of my 168 hour need. If I need more than 57 hours, the state argues a nursing home is cheaper. 

$386,000 per client per year seems insane! Over $1,000 a day for someone like this lady to lay in a bed and be taken care of.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Can't say I know many RNs who'd work for $22/hr.

One of my PCAs recently graduated with her RN and is working at the local hospital for $22/hr. She's also locked into a 2 year contract where she owes them $10k for "training costs" if she leaves early and owes 30 days of contract extension per $100 of tuition reimbursement.

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

One of my PCAs recently graduated with her RN and is working at the local hospital for $22/hr. She's also locked into a 2 year contract where she owes them $10k for "training costs" if she leaves early and owes 30 days of contract extension per $100 of tuition reimbursement.

That's pretty pathetic, and I live and work in Arkansas. 

Just now, Jwheel86 said:

Welcome to rural North Carolina! 

NC is beautiful, but no thanks. 

Shit, if I weren't married and settled, I'd do some travel nursing and head out to California for a while. I'd rack up some nice paychecks for a while and pay off my house even quicker. Kaberle makes me jealous with what he's making in the Bay area.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Shit, if I weren't married and settled, I'd do some travel nursing and head out to California for a while. I'd rack up some nice paychecks for a while and pay off my house even quicker. Kaberle makes me jealous with what he's making in the Bay area.

With the ridiculous COL in the Bay area, you're better off where you are.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Travel Nursing is her plan once her contract is up. 

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

How does that work, precisely?

I've never seriously looked into it, but knowing and having worked with various travel nurses, you work for an agency, take an assignment to a hospital for a certain period of time, and most of the time you're set up with a place to live while you're on assignment or at least assistance in paying for your rent. Depends on the agency you work for and the demand in a particular area.

It's quite lucrative and a lot of nurses who are single and willing to bounce around from place to place do it and make damn good money. 

35 minutes ago, Jose said:

With the ridiculous COL in the Bay area, you're better off where you are.

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Wut?

@Jose from what I've gathered from the travel nurses I've met the housing costs are covered as part of the contract.

57 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

But how many homeless guys faking heart attacks would you like to treat?

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

But how many homeless guys faking heart attacks would you like to treat?

Well, I recently took care of a guy who swallowed razor blades for the 12th or 15th time in the last year and a woman who OD'ed on meth because she shoved 28 grams up her vagina during a drug bust, then cursed out the staff with her boyfriend because they weren't allowed to shower together. 

I can handle just about anything these days.

43 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, I recently took care of a guy who swallowed razor blades for the 12th or 15th time in the last year and a woman who OD'ed on meth because she shoved 28 grams up her vagina during a drug bust, then cursed out the staff with her boyfriend because they weren't allowed to shower together. 

I can handle just about anything these days.

Jesus Christ. I find this type of stuff fascinating but could never do the actual job. Salute the nurses  :flag_us_inverted:

• 2 weeks later...

Story just got significantly more fucked up: 

“The victim’s parents would like to make clear that she is not in a coma,” the family of the 29-year-old Native American woman said in a statement through their attorney.

“She has significant intellectual disabilities as a result of seizures very early in her childhood,” says the statement obtained by PEOPLE. “She does not speak but has some ability to move her limbs, head and neck. Their daughter responds to sound and is able to make facial gestures.”

“The important thing is that she is a beloved daughter, albeit with significant intellectual disabilities,” the statement continues. “She has feelings, likes to be read to, enjoys soft music, and is capable of responding to people she is familiar with, especially family.”

• Guillotine 3

41 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

“The victim’s parents would like to make clear that she is not in a coma,” the family of the 29-year-old Native American woman said in a statement through their attorney.

“She has significant intellectual disabilities as a result of seizures very early in her childhood,” says the statement obtained by PEOPLE. “She does not speak but has some ability to move her limbs, head and neck. Their daughter responds to sound and is able to make facial gestures.”

“The important thing is that she is a beloved daughter, albeit with significant intellectual disabilities,” the statement continues. “She has feelings, likes to be read to, enjoys soft music, and is capable of responding to people she is familiar with, especially family.”

Tell me there is a God now oh so very religious peoples. :cry:

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

I didn't think this story could get any worse... fuck Batman,  where's the goddamned Punisher when you need him?