LTTP: Breath of the Wild

Chris-

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

... I just started AC Odyssey recently, my first AC game.  I don’t play Ubisoft games often, but my first impressions were that it was a mess of waypoint systems and icons vomit.  I wanted more hand holding to start, because the game communicated too much at the start (while oddly explaining very little about what the icons mean).  That’s where Nintendo struck a perfect balance IMO.  The opening hours shouldn’t need to feel bloated, and a little constriction can go a long way to help that.

They probably stopped with the hand holding after the first 4 games. It was actually pretty annoying to play a direct sequel then have to lose all your equipment, start over and then go through the tutorial stuff all over again.

27 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Motherfucking MASTER SWORD time boys. How long does this bad boy last before it needs to recharge?

:) Finding the Master Sword from just exploring was a highlight in the game for me.

It last longer than other weapons but not crazy long. Fortunately, it auto repairs after a short interval.

And when you're in the presence of a Ganon spirit it's a straight beast and won't break.

Man I wish I could get into BotW. I'm a big Zelda fan but traversing in this game is a chore. I haven't been able to mount a horse successfully. So far I'm about 4 - 5 hours in and other than shrines and knowing where the Devine beast are I feel like there isn't much to do. The combat in the game isn't that great and other than collecting materials there is no incentive for me to fight the random enemies that pop up because they will just deteriorate my weapons. Maybe it's because The Witcher has spoiled me on open world fantasy games but Im just not having any fun with this game. I have been trying for the past year :cry:

2 minutes ago, The def star said:

Man I wish I could get into BotW. I'm a big Zelda fan but traversing in this game is a chore. I haven't been able to mount a horse successfully. So far I'm about 4 - 5 hours in and other than shrines and knowing where the Devine beast are I feel like there isn't much to do. The combat in the game isn't that great and other than collecting materials there is no incentive for me to fight the random enemies that pop up because they will just deteriorate my weapons. Maybe it's because The Witcher has spoiled me on open world fantasy games but Im just not having any fun with this game. I have been trying for the past year :cry:

This game is really about exploring and taking your time with things. If you're afraid of losing a weapon, you're already going into it with more gamer OCD than you probably should.

Amusingly, I have a few mounts, but I never really bothered with horses until very late in the game. The horses are good when traveling from one point to another quickly, but this game is really not about hitting icons on the map. I just don't see the need to rush from point a to b in this game, especially early on.

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This game is really about exploring and taking your time with things. If you're afraid of losing a weapon, you're already going into it with more gamer OCD than you probably should.

Amusingly, I have a few mounts, but I never really bothered with horses until very late in the game. The horses are good when traveling from one point to another quickly, but this game is really not about hitting icons on the map. I just don't see the need to rush from point a to b in this game, especially early on.

I'm not afraid to lose weapons it's just there is no incentive to fight random encounter enemies. The combat isn't fun to enjoy it and after the fight I done used up my weapons. I get that you can take your time with the game but I'd rather there be interesting characters to find along the way to my destination. Side stories to encounter. Engaging fights. The reason I'm going from point A to point B is because there isn't anything to do in point A I want to encounter something :p For example I just turned in the camera to that old lady in Koriko village I think. I see the 4 divine beast on my map now. Great want to go fight them but I have to travese this empty world. I helpd some last on a bridge being attack, found a horse stable and  it started raining spent 1 hour and that's all I got done because spent most of the time running in the rain. Others games have addressed the issues of filling up their open world's but sad I'm sad that Zelda didnt. Doesn't help that my stamina is low and climbing in the rain sucks.

I really want to enjoy this game. Any pointers in what I should focus on. I have 5 hearts, 1 circle of stamina and about 15 shrines under my belt. I can't fight those machines yet cuz I die in one shot so I just end up running away from them. Also can I craft arrows? I'm all out. Other than finding them do I have to buy them?

1 hour ago, The def star said:

Traversing gets much more entertaining once you increase your stamina (more climbing/gliding) and unlock more shrines and towers (fast travel points to cut down on the distance you need to cover). Then the world more or less opens up; you can see a far off mountain peak or forest, make your way there, and find something interesting (whether its a shrine, Korok seed, or good mats for crafting). Also, the stables/towns generate a lot of side quests.

Just keep grinding through to see if it grows on you...If you take to it, eventually you'll boot up the game and be overwhelmed by everything you want to do (Shrines? Seeds? Mats to sell? Mats to cook with? Mats for Ancient crafting? Side quests? Memories?) It just takes a bit to feel like you're in a position to actually do everything.

30 minutes ago, The def star said:

I really want to enjoy this game. Any pointers in what I should focus on. I have 5 hearts, 1 circle of stamina and about 15 shrines under my belt. I can't fight those machines yet cuz I die in one shot so I just end up running away from them. Also can I craft arrows? I'm all out. Other than finding them do I have to buy them?

1. Shoot them in the eye while they power their shot.

2. You can farm arrows, but the quickest way to get them is to buy them. Beedle will always have 30-40 in stock, so once you find all the stables you can basically buy hundreds at a time (not sure how long it takes him to restock at each stable), and the general stores carry them as well.

5 hours ago, The def star said:

I really want to enjoy this game. Any pointers in what I should focus on. I have 5 hearts, 1 circle of stamina and about 15 shrines under my belt. I can't fight those machines yet cuz I die in one shot so I just end up running away from them. 

Ancient arrows wreck em. But if you're early and don't have them, you can be boss and give em a taste of their own medicine.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The def star said:

I'm not afraid to lose weapons it's just there is no incentive to fight random encounter enemies. The combat isn't fun to enjoy it and after the fight I done used up my weapons. I get that you can take your time with the game but I'd rather there be interesting characters to find along the way to my destination. Side stories to encounter. Engaging fights. The reason I'm going from point A to point B is because there isn't anything to do in point A I want to encounter something :p For example I just turned in the camera to that old lady in Koriko village I think. I see the 4 divine beast on my map now. Great want to go fight them but I have to travese this empty world. I helpd some last on a bridge being attack, found a horse stable and  it started raining spent 1 hour and that's all I got done because spent most of the time running in the rain. Others games have addressed the issues of filling up their open world's but sad I'm sad that Zelda didnt. Doesn't help that my stamina is low and climbing in the rain sucks.

Here's my suggestion for getting the most out of the game. Climb up a tower, look around, out in the distance, and mark things that look interesting. They don't need to be story specific or a key destination. A weird looking out cropping? A small chunk grouping of trees? A random bridge or tree in the middle of nowhere? Mark that off, walk there, and see what you find along the way. Don't feel you need to be productive. The game is designed to just get you lost wandering around. There are like 120 shrines and many of them are locked behind quests.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Here's my suggestion for getting the most out of the game. Climb up a tower, look around, out in the distance, and mark things that look interesting. They don't need to be story specific or a key destination. A weird looking out cropping? A small chunk grouping of trees? A random bridge or tree in the middle of nowhere? Mark that off, walk there, and see what you find along the way. Don't feel you need to be productive. The game is designed to just get you lost wandering around. There are like 120 shrines and many of them are locked behind quests.

To add to this, eventually you may have fun with the most minute things imaginable; for example I had a blast today farming the best type of meat for cooking, and I crafted/started upgrading the Ancient armor set. I also tamed one of the best horses in the game, which I really enjoyed even though I rarely use horses (I almost got him stuck on the side of a cliff though). IMO, despite the game's faults, it's the best open world outside of The Witcher 3.

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

Traversing gets much more entertaining once you increase your stamina (more climbing/gliding) and unlock more shrines and towers (fast travel points to cut down on the distance you need to cover). Then the world more or less opens up; you can see a far off mountain peak or forest, make your way there, and find something interesting (whether its a shrine, Korok seed, or good mats for crafting). Also, the stables/towns generate a lot of side quests.

Just keep grinding through to see if it grows on you...If you take to it, eventually you'll boot up the game and be overwhelmed by everything you want to do (Shrines? Seeds? Mats to sell? Mats to cook with? Mats for Ancient crafting? Side quests? Memories?) It just takes a bit to feel like you're in a position to actually do everything.

If you really stock up on stamina potions you can traverse a ton really early on. But I do have an RPG habit of exploring like crazy before proceeding with the main quest. 

So I'm at 70+ hours played, and I'm starting to feel the itch to go all in and hit up the Castle, but I have two questions...One, is there a point of no return? And two, if I end up taking down Calamity Ganon, can I still explore the world or is that it?

13 minutes ago, Chris- said:

So I'm at 70+ hours played, and I'm starting to feel the itch to go all in and hit up the Castle, but I have two questions...One, is there a point of no return? And two, if I end up taking down Calamity Ganon, can I still explore the world or is that it?

My understanding is that once you fight/defeat Ganon, the only way to continue is to load your last save before the fight.  There is no epilogue or anything that allows you to continue exploring once you've completed the game.

I've been itching to play this again, as it is probably in my top 3 or 5 all-time game experiences.  I've been thinking about getting the DLC to start a new play through in Master Mode, as well as mess around with all of the new challenges.  Can anybody that has the DLC speak to its quality, and to whether or not it would enhance a second play through of the game?

Well boys, I beat the darn game.

Definitely ranks up there as one of the best games I've ever played. Criticisms (mediocre combat, durability mechanics, rain) aside, everything just came together and clicked so well. The exploration is second to none, and the physical/chemical systems in the game are like nothing that I've personally ever played. None of the 'big' moments (dungeons, boss fights, etc.) ever stand out, but all of the little moments weave this intensely gratifying experience.

It's not a perfect game, but it is a perfect experience. And given that I've only completed 19% of the game (!!), there's plenty more to do. Definitely worth getting a Switch.

• Like 3