I’m at my mechanics shop and there an old man with a MAGA hat

johnny

29 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

This this this this this. Peoples general inability to fully grasp this concept is imo one of the leading contributors to the division in this country. 

Ehhhhh...I think 'criticism of the person/people' that hold an ideology, itself contributes more to the division than an inability to make that distinction.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slug said:

Ehhhhh...I think 'criticism of the person/people' that hold an ideology, itself contributes more to the division than an inability to make that distinction.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough.  What I meant was people's inability to recognize that criticizing a person that holds an ideology/belief and continuing to do it is whats contributing to the division.  People don't have any desire to actually listen to the other side no matter how much they disagree with the opposing view.  That unwillingness to listen creates frustration and creates a feeling of being ignored or put down which creates resentment.  But then people get confused why people voted for Trump and don't understand it's as much your fault as the people that actually voted for him.

38 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough.  What I meant was people's inability to recognize that criticizing a person that holds an ideology/belief and continuing to do it is whats contributing to the division.  People don't have any desire to actually listen to the other side no matter how much they disagree with the opposing view.  That unwillingness to listen creates frustration and creates a feeling of being ignored or put down which creates resentment.  But then people get confused why people voted for Trump and don't understand it's as much your fault as the people that actually voted for him.

But that’s not what sblfilms said, at all.  

Yeah, not what I was saying :p

The issue here for me with the ideology/not the person notion is that ideologies don’t do anything. The person acts.

The MAGA hat wearer doesn’t simply believe things you or I may not like, they also support via voting/donating/campaigning/etc those who can affect tangible change in favor of that ideology.

What you believe and what you do both matter, and I see no reason to limit criticism to just what people believe. But I also don’t think a lot of what passes as criticism is that, it’s just nasty personal attacks.

17 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

Beliefs are what generally dictate our actions.   Better beliefs lead to better actions.  

I think you give people too much credit if you actually believe this :p

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think you give people too much credit if you actually believe this :p

How so?  I mean, I understand that it is hard for people to change their beliefs, but it happens, and when it does, it also changes their actions.  Every single one of us acts on our beliefs.  However, we are also creatures of habit, and bad habits as well as bad beliefs are often hard to break, but when you know better, you generally do better.

Just now, Boyle5150 said:

How so?  I mean, I understand that it is hard for people to change their beliefs, but it happens, and when it does, it also changes their actions.  Every single one of us acts on our beliefs.  However, we are also creatures of habit, and bad habits as well as bad beliefs are often hard to break, but when you know better, you generally do better.

Sorry, meant to remove the second sentence. I was referring to the notion that our actions stem from our beliefs, generally. Habits, including culturally derived ones, and hedonistic tendencies seem to have far more control of a person’s actions than what they claim to believe.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sorry, meant to remove the second sentence. I was referring to the notion that our actions stem from our beliefs, generally. Habits, including culturally derived ones, and hedonistic tendencies seem to have far more control of a person’s actions than what they claim to believe.

Both culture and hedonistic tendencies are also practiced based on beliefs.  The problem is that when you don't believe in doing what is culturally accepted, and you still do it, it is because you hold the belief that if you don't then you will be ostracized or demonized.  If you held the belief that those consequences wouldn't happen then you would not continue doing them.   

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I think you are using the term belief inconsistently. We were talking previously about beliefs in an ideological sense.

well if you bring culture and hedonistic tendencies into the mix then we must allow for the reasoning for why we do things that go against our ideological beliefs.  As far as ideological beliefs themselves, they absolutely help dictate our actions.   It's what drives planned parenthood protestors and bombers to do what they do.  Its what drives otherwise good people to do bad things.