Kotaku's Jason Schreier "reboots" his second book about the gaming industry

Commissar SFLUFAN

I know many of us very much enjoyed his first book "Blood, Sweat, and Pixels" and were really pleased to hear that he's working on a second book about the gaming industry.  Those of us on his mailing list received an update from him yesterday regarding the status of the book and it seems that he's "rebooted" the project to have a more focused purpose:

Time for a status report! As you might already know, I signed a contract last year with HarperCollins to write a new book about video games. As you might not know, last fall I realized that my original idea wasn't coming together. It was too broad, too vast, too hard to sum up in a single sentence while talking to friends and colleagues. I had gotten some good material -- material that I'll almost certainly use either for this project or a future one -- but the book wasn't coalescing in the ways I was hoping.

So I rebooted!

My second book is now headed in a different direction, one that I think is working out so far. Throughout 2019, I'll be reporting and writing this new iteration of book two. I'm keeping the details vague because who knows what might change, but the short version is: It's going to dig into some of the darker aspects of game development, and it'll hopefully help humanize events that we think about in the abstract.

From the start, I didn't want book two to be just another compilation of game development stories -- I wanted to try something different. I knew that'd be a riskier approach, but I also wouldn't have been satisfied doing the same exact thing a second time. Right now we're looking at a Spring 2020 release, but as countless E3 press conferences have shown us, anything can change. I'll be staying quiet about this for the next few months as I continue to write and report. Expect to hear much more from me later this year.

Happy New Year, and I hope you all have an excellent 2019.
Jason