Jump to content
~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Brazil's new right-wing government begins destruction of rain forest because "the gringos did it first"

Recommended Posts

Quote

. “More than 15% of national territory is demarcated as indigenous land and quilombos. Less than a million people live in these places, isolated from true Brazil, exploited and manipulated by NGOs. Together we will integrate these citizens,” he posted.

Seems like a nice guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

burn it all. Seriously these people are just wanting to rush to the end of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Silas Malafaia, an influential televangelist and close friend of Bolsonaro, said developed countries who centuries ago cut down their own forests should pay if they wanted Brazil to preserve the Amazon.

“We’re going to preserve everything because the gringos destroyed what they had?” he said."

 

When sticking it to the white man goes wrong. What kind of attempt at logic is this even? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

"When sticking it to the white man goes wrong. What kind of attempt at logic is this even? 

Televangelist logic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Televangelist logic

The paragraph itself did the answering for me, you're right about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

A former army captain, Mr Bolsonaro is not instinctively an economic liberal. However, he has entrusted economic policy to a genuine believer in free markets. Paulo Guedes, a former banker with a doctorate from the University of Chicago, wants to lighten many of the burdens that have weighed down the economy. Since 1980 gdp growth has averaged just 2.6%, far below that of many other emerging-market economies. Mr Guedes wants to deregulate, simplify the enterprise-crushing tax code, privatise state-owned firms and slash the enormous budget deficit, which was an estimated 7% of gdp last year.

 

He recognises that the most important reform is to slash pension costs which, at 12% of gdp, are roughly the same size in Brazil as they are in richer, older countries and on course to become staggeringly larger. The changes will be painful. They include raising the effective retirement age (Mr Bolsonaro began collecting a military pension when he was 33) and changing the rule for adjusting the minimum wage, to which pensions are linked. Without this, the government has little hope of containing its growing public debt or complying with a constitutional amendment that freezes spending in real terms. An ambitious reform, by contrast, could keep inflation and interest rates low, hastening Brazil’s recovery and accelerating long-term growth.

 

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/01/05/the-radical-agenda-of-brazils-new-president?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/theradicalagendaofbrazilsnewpresidentthegoodthebadandthescary

The destruction of the rain forest is something I strongly oppose, but I hope some good will come from this nutcase. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/01/05/the-radical-agenda-of-brazils-new-president?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/theradicalagendaofbrazilsnewpresidentthegoodthebadandthescary

The destruction of the rain forest is something I strongly oppose, but I hope some good will come from this nutcase. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

 

Exactly. These strongmen/fascists/dictators rely on the business minded to keep support. All the furrowed brows mean nothing because they're still willing to go to bat for these Trump's/MBS's/etc because it means  "reform" for businesses.

 

They are being finally honest though. They care more about $$$ than liberal democratic values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't there a line somewhere on the moral spectrum where order outweighs a corrupt "democratic" system? I recognize Brazil isn't it, but it is in a grey area to me. In the Middle East, I'm pretty sure most of us recognize there is a ton of complexity to which regimes should remain in power, overthrown, etc., and sometimes these regimes are not bastions of democratic values, but of stability and against corruption. 

 

Brazil isn't the Middle East, but they do have the highest murder count per year in the world. Their institutions are corrupt, their entire regulatory system is corrupt, and their economy suffers from a ridiculous patchwork of rules that don't make any sense and hurts the working people. Before this nut came along, I guess Brazil was in tip top shape since you had to read the back pages of the NYT/WaPo to see how terrible it was there (how about a recession and two criminal leaders, violent crime off the charts, etc.). 

 

I don't support this guy, I'm just trying to be hopeful that maybe some pro market reforms will help people that have been hurting for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Isn't there a line somewhere on the moral spectrum where order outweighs a corrupt "democratic" system? I recognize Brazil isn't it, but it is in a grey area to me. In the Middle East, I'm pretty sure most of us recognize there is a ton of complexity to which regimes should remain in power, overthrown, etc., and sometimes these regimes are not bastions of democratic values, but of stability and against corruption. 

 

Brazil isn't the Middle East, but they do have the highest murder count per year in the world. Their institutions are corrupt, their entire regulatory system is corrupt, and their economy suffers from a ridiculous patchwork of rules that don't make any sense and hurts the working people. Before this nut came along, I guess Brazil was in tip top shape since you had to read the back pages of the NYT/WaPo to see how terrible it was there (how about a recession and two criminal leaders, violent crime off the charts, etc.). 

 

I don't support this guy, I'm just trying to be hopeful that maybe some pro market reforms will help people that have been hurting for years. 

Starting off your statement with the regimes of the Middle East is getting off on the wrong foot because NONE of those regimes are bastions "against corruption" -- not a single one of them -- and rather they thrive on it for their very existence.

 

And if the price to pay for that "order" is the stripping of rights and protections of the most vulnerable/marginalized members of Brazilian society?  Where does that fall on the moral spectrum?

 

Do you honestly believe that this order will be used to root out Brazil's endemic corruption for the benefit of the poor in the favelas and not the business interests that already overthrew the Rousseff government in what amounted to a "soft coup"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

And if the price to pay for that "order" is the stripping of rights and protections of the most vulnerable/marginalized members of Brazilian society?  Where does that fall on the moral spectrum?

 

Do you honestly believe that this order will be used to root out Brazil's endemic corruption for the benefit of the poor in the favelas and not the business interests that already overthrew the Rousseff government in what amounted to a "soft coup"?

I don't believe anything. I just remain hopeful because I have to. The news is quite depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I don't believe anything. I just remain hopeful because I have to. The news is quite depressing.

The sooner everyone realizes that "hope" is a goddamned useless four letter word, the better off we all will be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Exactly. These strongmen/fascists/dictators rely on the business minded to keep support. All the furrowed brows mean nothing because they're still willing to go to bat for these Trump's/MBS's/etc because it means  "reform" for businesses.

 

They are being finally honest though. They care more about $$$ than liberal democratic values.

We're kinda iffy on this Hitler guy's statements about Jews, but his industrial policies are totally fine with us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The sooner everyone realizes that "hope" is a goddamned useless four letter word, the better off we all will be.

 

 

Some of us require some sort of hope to function, otherwise we fall apart into major depression. 

 

The world is a shitty place. This guy is unlikely to make the world better. I see a decent probability that the economic fortunes of the average Brazilian will get better under this guy based on what I know about Brazil's economy. On the other hand, I see Brazil suffering in nearly every other way. While I don't think Brazil needs as strict of regulation on land in most areas of the country, I strongly support severe restrictions on the rain forest for obvious reasons. Obviously we are looking at Brazil suffering from a break down of due process based on what he's saying about cops shooting suspects with ARs, and then we have demonizing minority groups such as gays and women. My area of hope is narrow, but I emphasize it because the positives that come with the shitty negatives are not always brought up here. 

 

15 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Starting off your statement with the regimes of the Middle East is getting off on the wrong foot because NONE of those regimes are bastions "against corruption" -- not a single one of them -- and rather they thrive on it for their very existence.

 

Agreed, with the narrow exception that the areas that we instituted some sort of "democracy" in recent years such as Afghanistan have suffered even worse corruption than before (I'm open to correction). We really are talking past each other. 

 

I believe in liberal democrat values. Among those values is a market economy. I simply emphasize it more than most here. It would be a mistake to think I don't care about the environment, the poor, minorities, etc. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

We're kinda iffy on this Hitler guy's statements about Jews, but his industrial policies are totally fine with us!

and would you look at inflation now? Worlds better than wheel barrows full to buy bread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Dave Rubin (who's gay for those who don't know) has been making videos for State Media supporting this guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Apparently Dave Rubin (who's gay for those who don't know) has been making videos for State Media supporting this guy. 

David Rubin is by far one of the most effective "useful idiots" the right-wing has working in its favor because he parrots the line that he's a "classical liberal".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:58 PM, SFLUFAN said:

 

And if the price to pay for that "order" is the stripping of rights and protections of the most vulnerable/marginalized members of Brazilian society?  Where does that fall on the moral spectrum?

 

 

The sooner everyone realizes that "rights" don't exist and are worthless, the better off we all will be.

 

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×