~*D1P's Games of 2019*~

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 6/15/2019 at 1:07 AM, Nokt said:

Just canceled my Walmart order for $20 when it had the price mistake. What did you love about it so much and what game would you compare it to? Might pick it up in the future if it hits $20 again

The game got better as it went along which is something that's sadly rarer than not in games these days. I'm a big proponent of games which make you feel like more of a badass by the end of it, and Days Gone checked that box as well. I had trouble with 3 zombies at first, and by the end was taking out massive hordes. The studio clearly left things by the wayside in favor of building out other elements of the game (likely due to to time), but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that, with the success of the first, the studio is going to double in size and blow the doors off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Add Bayonetta to the list, thanks for pushing me to finally play it, @stepee . 8/10. I'll play the sequel at some point down the road. 

Resident Evil 2 remake (PC)

Resident Evil 5 (co-op, PC)

Resident Evil 4 (3rd completion, PC)

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (3DS)

Days Gone (PS4)

Shining Force: Final Conflict (GameGear)

Metro: Last Light (PC)

Bayonetta (Switch)

After about 400 hours across multiple saves on Switch and PC, I feel like I am finally done with Stardew Valley.  There is still stuff I have not done, like complete the museum collection, and there are some villagers I have not married, but I don't feel any motivation to tick the last few boxes. I just finished the community centre and built Pam a house in my most recent save, and the desire to play on evaporated.

Until there is another content update, I am DONE, and I can work on clearing my embarrassing backlog.

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Wonder Boy in Monster World

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Champion Edition

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals

Super Turrican

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Resident Evil 2 Remake

System: PC (Steam)

Time Played: 43 hours

D1P Supreme High Chancellor Evaluation: 85% to 90% (increased from initial evaluation score on 30 May 2019)

Prior to playing this game, my only experience with the Resident Evil franchise was watching one of my college roommates play the first Resident Evil game on his PlayStation 1.  While I enjoyed watching him play, it wasn't something that I particularly felt compelled to experience for myself first-hand so I went back to my PC to play Wing Commander IV :p 

Over the subsequent 23 years, I've watched the fortunes of the Resident Evil franchise rise and fall but still hadn't decided to see what these games were all about for myself.  The closest I've come was playing The Evil Within several years ago and I think many of you on this board will recall my significantly-less-than-positive opinion of that game at the time (but more on that later!).  When the remake of Resident Evil 2 was announced, I couldn't help but notice the significant level of buzz surrounding it, especially the fantastic RE Engine-powered graphics and the modernized control scheme.  When I came to understand that this was perhaps the favorite of the "old school" (ie, pre-Resident Evil 4) titles, I figured that this was as good a time as enemy for me to play my first Resident Evil game.

And what a game it is!

As you can imagine, I don't really have a frame of reference to compare it with (other than The Evil Within), so I'm not really in a position to comment regarding the pros/cons of its modernization in regard to the original "tank control" version and whether that version is "scarier" or "more intense" than the Remake (though I imagine it would be as you would essentially fighting the control scheme as well as the enemies).  Going into the Remake "untainted" by memories of the original, I can easily say that this is one of the most "deliberate" and "purposeful" gaming experiences I've had in ages.  By this I mean that the game's design leaves nothing to waste, especially the player's time.  Each and every aspect of the game has its "purpose and place" and does attempt to unnecessarily branch out beyond it.   This is what really elevates the game in my eyes!  At no point did I feel like I was "treading water" from a gameplay perspective -- everything was propelling me forward, even if it meant backtracking to areas I had visited before.

I'm not  gonna bother commenting on the story because it involves two of the stupidest things in the world -- anime and zombies -- so the less said about it, the better :p  But that's not a knock on it per se -- the game seems to know damned well how silly it is and I think leans into it in an endearing fashion.  Hell, I enjoyed what I was playing enough to play the Leon A campaign, the Claire B campaign, and most of the Ghost Survivors DLC.  I might even go back for Leon B/Clarie A...someday!  Also, kudos to the art team for making completely ordinary, commonplace locations by video game standards (a police station, sewers, a top-secret research facility, etc.) interesting to navigate even upon repeated visits to the same location.  Maybe you guys could give the Devil May Cry team a hand for their next game, eh?

If there was one thing that I did wish that this game did more, it would be to adapt a few more modern touches.  Most notably, I was kinda puzzled why this game didn't allow the player to crouch to sneak past enemies or to stealth kill them with the knife, just as you can do in The Evil Within.  It just seemed to be a curious omission for a game that was already making significant concessions to modernization with just about every other aspect of its control scheme.  I really do think that this one addition would've enhanced the already stellar gameplay that much more!  

Lastly, this game did something that I never thought possible:  it actually enhanced my appreciation for The Evil Within.  I can now clearly see how The Evil Withing represented an evolution of this genre and how much it does owe a debt to this series (hell, from what I can tell The Evil Within even copied sound effects!).  In effect, my positive feelings for Resident Evil 2 Remake caused me to re-evaluate my own experience with The Evil Within which is a pretty cool thing in and of itself.  

• Like 1

RAGE 2

System: PC (Bethesda.net Launcher)

Time Played: 37 hours

D1P Supreme High Chancellor Evaluation: 60% to 65% (decreased from initial evaluation score on 30 May 2019)

The sentence "What the world really needs is another RAGE game!" has never been uttered by a single person on this planet.  The original id game is best remembered for its atrocious "megatexture" technology and an ending so abrupt that you had to wonder if the developers simply had enough and stopped giving a damn.  With that in mind, it came as nothing short of a surprise when Wal-Mart Canada leaked the existence of a RAGE sequel shortly before E3 2018.  When Bethesda revealed that the game was an open-world FPS being primarily developed by Avalanche Studios (Just Cause, Mad Max) with some support from id and showed some pretty pumpin' gameplay trailers, there was some glimmer of hope that maybe -- just maybe -- we'd get a truly kick-ass post-apocalyptic FPS with id-quality shootin' and compelling open-world to explore.

Yeah, well...that kinda/sorta didn't happen with RAGE 2 at all.

First the good stuff: the shootin'.  Yeah, the shootin' part of RAGE 2 is pretty damned sweet, if not totally original.  The guns feel like proper id weapons (even though Avalanche insists that they did practically all the work for the shootin'), ESPECIALLY the shotgun.  The shotgun is pure visceral id goodness and will be your favorite weapon in the game, by far.  Another pretty cool aspect of the first-person combat is the Nanorite abilities that you can use to mix things up and make the combat far more interesting than simply resorting to pure first-person shootin' gameplay.  In a sense, this reminds me quite a bit of Bulletstorm.  In fact, this is one of the (many) missed opportunities of RAGE 2:  Avalanche should've implemented something like Bulletstorm's scoring system to encourage the use of the Nanorite abilities which are pretty easy to forget about because the weapons are so effective.  All-in-all, the actual first-person shootin' part of RAGE 2 is pretty damned satisfying and almost worth a deeply-discounted price of admission.  Almost.

Which brings me to the open-world part of RAGE 2.  Remember how I just mentioned that the FPS part of RAGE 2 is "pretty damned satisfying"?  Well, the open-world driving part of RAGE 2 is the complete and total opposite of that.  One of the reservations I had about RAGE 2 was hearing that Avalanche was the lead developer.  Now, Avalanche is a pretty talented group of developers, especially on a technical level with their open-world Apex Engine.  However, where they fall short is in actually making a compelling/interesting open-world.  This was the main issue I had with their Mad Max game:  the open-world portion of the game was so very uninspiring that I decided to listen to podcasts while playing it because there was no real reason to pay attention to it.  Still, I was willing to give Avalanche the benefit of the doubt for RAGE 2 that they had crafted an interesting open-world that simply wasn't a "copy n' paste" of their Mad Max template.

So much for that idea.  RAGE 2's open-world is about as uninspiring as you can get with activities that are interminably boring and are a 100% "copy n' paste" of their Mad Max template.  I have heard rumors that Avalanche was working on a sequel to Mad Max that was cancelled by Warner Brothers due to their ongoing dust-up with the Mad Max film series director George Miller and that it was Avalanche who approached Bethesda with the proposition that they could easily crank out a RAGE sequel using the assets they had already created for the cancelled Mad Max project.  I don't know the veracity of that rumor, but the degree to which both RAGE 2 and Mad Max share virtually identical elements leads me to believe that this is more truth than fiction.  Suffice it to say, I ended up listening to podcasts while playing the game.  Again.

Oh, I would be remiss if I ended this critique without discussing RAGE 2's story.  It sucked donkey balls worse than the first game.  There, I discussed it.

It wouldn't be fair for me to call RAGE 2 a "bad game".  There is enough "decent" FPS gameplay there for someone to find several hours of (DEEPLY discounted on-sale) fun.  It's that RAGE 2 is a profoundly, aggressively mediocre game -- it's not good, it's not bad, it just kinda "exists" which is probably the worst possible place for it to be.  Needless to say, I'm fairly certain that the sentence "Man, I can't wait for RAGE 3!" is one that we will also never hear spoken.

11 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Time Played: 43 hours

D1P Supreme High Chancellor Evaluation: 85% to 90%

Prior to playing this game, my only experience with the Resident Evil franchise was watching one of my college roommates play the first Resident Evil game on his PlayStation 1.  While I enjoyed watching him play, it wasn't something that I particularly felt compelled to experience for myself first-hand so I went back to my PC to play Wing Commander IV :p 

Over the subsequent 23 years, I've watched the fortunes of the Resident Evil franchise rise and fall but still hadn't decided to see what these games were all about for myself.  The closest I've come was playing The Evil Within several years ago and I think many of you on this board will recall my significantly-less-than-positive opinion of that game at the time (but more on that later!).  When the remake of Resident Evil 2 was announced, I couldn't help but notice the significant level of buzz surrounding it, especially the fantastic RE Engine-powered graphics and the modernized control scheme.  When I came to understand that this was perhaps the favorite of the "old school" (ie, pre-Resident Evil 4) titles, I figured that this was as good a time as enemy for me to play my first Resident Evil game.

And what a game it is!

As you can imagine, I don't really have a frame of reference to compare it with (other than The Evil Within), so I'm not really in a position to comment regarding the pros/cons of its modernization in regard to the original "tank control" version and whether that version is "scarier" or "more intense" than the Remake (though I imagine it would be as you would essentially fighting the control scheme as well as the enemies).  Going into the Remake "untainted" by memories of the original, I can easily say that this is one of the most "deliberate" and "purposeful" gaming experiences I've had in ages.  By this I mean that the game's design leaves nothing to waste, especially the player's time.  Each and every aspect of the game has its "purpose and place" and does attempt to unnecessarily branch out beyond it.   This is what really elevates the game in my eyes!  At no point did I feel like I was "treading water" from a gameplay perspective -- everything was propelling me forward, even if it meant backtracking to areas I had visited before.

I'm not  gonna bother commenting on the story because it involves two of the stupidest things in the world -- anime and zombies -- so the less said about it, the better :p  But that's not a knock on it per se -- the game seems to know damned well how silly it is and I think leans into it in an endearing fashion.  Hell, I enjoyed what I was playing enough to play the Leon A campaign, the Claire B campaign, and most of the Ghost Survivors DLC.  I might even go back for Leon B/Clarie A...someday!  Also, kudos to the art team for making completely ordinary, commonplace locations by video game standards (a police station, sewers, a top-secret research facility, etc.) interesting to navigate even upon repeated visits to the same location.  Maybe you guys could give the Devil May Cry team a hand for their next game, eh?

If there was one thing that I did wish that this game did more, it would be to adapt a few more modern touches.  Most notably, I was kinda puzzled why this game didn't allow the player to crouch to sneak past enemies or to stealth kill them with the knife, just as you can do in The Evil Within.  It just seemed to be a curious omission for a game that was already making significant concessions to modernization with just about every other aspect of its control scheme.  I really do think that this one addition would've enhanced the already stellar gameplay that much more!  

Lastly, this game did something that I never thought possible:  it actually enhanced my appreciation for The Evil Within.  I can now clearly see how The Evil Withing represented an evolution of this genre and how much it does owe a debt to this series (hell, from what I can tell The Evil Within even copied sound effects!).  In effect, my positive feelings for Resident Evil 2 Remake caused me to re-evaluate my own experience with The Evil Within which is a pretty cool thing in and of itself.  

I wouldn't know whether the old one is scarier or not, but I DO know that many RE2 veterans were shocked at how Mr. X operated. In the first game, he "followed" you through a couple rooms, and his presence was scripted. Here, he followed you through the whole damn place, STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP and freaked you the fuck out. And his introduction in the B campaign is LULZ.

Gears of War 4

System: PC (Xbox Game Pass for PC)

Time Played: 19.5 hours

D1P Supreme High Chancellor Evaluation: 80% to 85% (due to my ingrained positive bias towards this series, you should probably knock off about 5% to get a truly "honest" assessment)

We all have our "guilty pleasure" games or games series.  You know what I'm talking about -- these are games that are pretty soulless at their core, have no real artistic merit whatsoever, and pretty much represent all of the elements of the late stage capitalist hellscape into which we've all been condemned.  These games go by many names -- Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Uncharted, etc -- but they all share one thing in common: they are ultimately totally empty experiences devoid of any redeeming value.  However, despite this, they touch that something deep within our id/limbic system/"lizard brain" that is absolutely irresistible, no matter how much we hate ourselves for it.  For me, those games are the Gears of War series.

Let me get this out of the way:  Gears of War is a totally goddamned stupid video game franchise.  This is a series about guys with human anatomy-defying muscles and who don't so much speak as bark (usually very unamusing) quips to each other while using machine guns with chainsaw bayonets to obliterate a species that is equally is ridiculously-proportioned that emerge from holes in the ground on a planet that's Not-Earth.  I'm sure that each of these games has a story of some sort, but I'll be damned if I can tell you what the hell it was and if anyone can explain it to me, just save your breath because I really don't give enough of a damn :p  Under normal circumstances, this would be enough for me to write off the series as a waste of time.  But these are not "normal" circumstances.  Simply put, the sheer stupidity of the game coupled with the FREAKIN' AWESOME RAW VISCERAL COMBAT (YYYYAARRRGGGHH CHAINSAW BAYONETS YAAAAAARRRGGGHHH) legitimately hits me right in the ol' amygdala.

With that preamable, the fact of the matter is that Gears of War 4 is very much a Gears of War title.  If I could use a word to describe the game, it would be "conservative".  If Gears of War 4 was a politician, it would be Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany -- it's a game that simply refuses to take any risks with its core concepts, for better or for worse.  I hadn't played a Gears title since Gears of War 3 in 2011 (I skipped 2013's Judgment because it's a prequel and all prequels suck) but as soon as I started Gears 4, my muscle memory for the fundamentals of Gears gameplay kicked in and it was as if those intervening 8 years simply weren't there.  The only real change that I could detect was a slight modification to the standard turret sections where a very mild tower defense element was added.  Other than that, I'm hard-pressed to think of what's truly different at least with the single-player campaign (can't vouch for any changes to the multiplayer).  Hell, once you get past fighting the terribly dull robot enemies in the first two chapters, the real enemy shows up called "the Swarm" who is Totally Not the Locust even though they look like the Locust, sound like the Locust, fight like Locust, but we swear that they really aren't the Loc...

Spoiler

OK, yeah, The Swarm is an evolved version of the Locust.

I really can't necessarily blame The Coalition for taking such a  really conservative approach to the series.  Microsoft created the studio for the specific purpose of developing Gears of Wars titles, a series that represents one part of Microsoft's "Holy Trinity" along with Halo and Forza.  I would imagine that The Coalition saw the fan reaction to 343 Industries' attempts to mix things up with Halo 4 and Halo 5 (OMGWTFBBQ!  343i TOTALLY FUCKIN' RUINED HALO!  BUNGIE COME BACK!) and decided that "discretion was the better part of valor" and decided to play it really, really safe.  Now that The Coalition has a solid foundation to work with and have proven that they can make a Gears title, I do hope that they have taken a few more risks with the upcoming Gear5 (yeah, I'm totally calling it that!) because I really don't see how the series can effectively continue simply by "treading water".

I really don't have that much else to say about the game.  If you enjoy the fundamentals of Gears of War, then you're going to enjoy this game.  There's nothing evolutionary or revolutionary about it at all -- it's a really solid, very competent, meat n' potatoes entry in the Gears of War series.  I got what I was looking for when I started playing it and y'know - sometimes that's just good enough!

Oh, one last thing: the new cast of characters annoyed the living hell out of me and I hope they all die.  Horribly.

Borderlands 2: Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary (DLC)

Time Played: 18 hours

D1P Supreme High Chancellor Evaluation: 80% to 85% 

What the hell?  New Borderlands 2 DLC six years after the last one was released that serves as a bridge between Borderlands 2/Tales from the Borderlands and Borderlands 3?  And it's FREE?!? (Well, it was until July 9, so if you missed it during the month that it was available for free, then that's on you!) Look, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford may be disreputable embezzling blowhard with a penchant for "barely legal" porn, but let's just set all that aside for a minute and talk about the fact that a pretty damned substantial piece of DLC was just released for gratis for the original "looter-shooter" game.

Borderlands has always been a pretty divisive series: you can either tolerate/endure the "passable" gunplay and its memetastic "humor" because you genuinely enjoy its looter-shooter gameplay loop...or you don't.  There really is no "in-between" with this series at all, and this new DLC certainly isn't going to change anyone's mind.  It follows the familiar pattern established by the previous four DLC releases: there's a central questline with seven missions and about a dozen sidequests given to you by the NPCs while you pick up lots o' loot along the way.  I don't remember how this compares in terms of content with the previous DLC releases, but this is not a small piece of DLC by any measure.  In addition to the new story content, this DLC adds a new rarity class, raises the level cap to 80, and a few more odds and ends that will be of interest to anyone who's a big fan of the series. 

I'm almost tempted to say that this DLC is "essential" because of how it bridges both Borderlands 2 and Tales from the Borderlands to Borderlands 3 though I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to pick up on the plot threads from the DLC within Borderlands 3, especially now that its price has gone from free to $15.  Again, if you missed it while it was free for an entire month - OLOLOLOLOLOLO SUCKS TO BE YOU OLOLOLOLOLO.

Really though, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this DLC and it was nice to see Lilith, Mordecai, Brick, Tiny Tina, Claptrap, and the rest of that wild n' crazy crew again -- it had been a long time indeed!  It certainly hit the spot for my Borderlands fix until Borderlands 3 is finally released for the PC in the first half of 2020!

Toejam & Earl: Back In the Groove

If you liked the Genesis version of 1, you'll like this. It's a charming game, it DOES have Level 0, and it gets better as you get more permanent presents that stay with you for multiple playthroughs. There are some downsides: many times, you have to just run from the enemies and hope your next present will let you take care of enemies or hide, and sometimes it's kind of annoying that there's no way to run quicker than you can. But it's short, it's fun co-op, and it's just a good time and not that expensive.

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission

Detroit: Become Human

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Moss

Yakuza Kiwami

Yakuza 0

Tetris Effect

Dead Cells (one or two runs)

Days Gone

Dead Cells (completed all runs, true final boss, true ending)

Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove

• 2 weeks later...

Judgment aka Yakuza DLC - 6.5/10 - 43hr to beat (45% complete) - The game is filler unless it ties into the next Yakuza game. The detective content added is boring and sometimes downright tedious. The side content is weak. There is not one decent side game like Cabaret in Zero. The game seems content to rest in Yakuza’s shadow which is unfortunate because it was a good opportunity to try new things. If you can get the game for under $20, I think the characters and story is solid enough for a play through just don’t expect any deviation from the Yakuza formula. 

• 3 weeks later...

Kingdom Hearts 3

I.... was disappointed. It was fun, but there was so much that I felt was missing or decisions that seemed odd.

1) This is the only Kingdom Hearts I played where I didn't die. wtf?

2) No Olympus Coliseum. wtf?

3) Barely any actual Disney bosses. Nearly all bosses were faceless heartless/nobodies. wtf?

4) One Hundred Acre Woods was just three mini-games instead of mini-games throughout the main game. wtf?

Fortunately, this game cost me $6 only, so I'll be selling it for an easy profit. :p 

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Moss

Yakuza Kiwami

Yakuza 0

Tetris Effect

Days Gone

Kingdom Hearts 3

• 3 weeks later...

God of War -- Finally got the platinum by taking out the ravens and getting all the artifacts. Oh Santa Monica, why you gotta make such a fantastic game? :daydream: 

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Moss

Yakuza Kiwami

Yakuza 0

Tetris Effect

Days Gone

Kingdom Hearts 3

God of War

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Super Turrican

World of Final Fantasy Maxima

DuckTales Remastered

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - 8/10 - the game has so many quality of life improvements that I will always recommend everyone to skip 1. That said, I still had some frustrating experiences when trying to “build this room” mission where if it wasn’t exactly correct, you can’t progress. The game does a poor job letting you know what is wrong with what you built. 

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Super Turrican

DuckTales Remastered

Unreal

I replayed the original Unreal using high res textures and an improved renderer. Looked pretty good for a game that is over 20 years old even if the geometry is still simple.

• 3 weeks later...

Beat Hat in Time.  It's Mario Sunshine with better bosses, more characters, more clutter, less unique mechanics, and fewer levels.

For every positive there's some kind of drawback. 

- Lots of creativity to the enviornments and tasks therein, but anything that isn't linear tends to feel slapdash in construction.

- The controls feel great, if not a little loose.  But running up walls unintentionally happens a lot.  It's too automated.

- Collectables are often fun to get to, but it seldom feels like you're building towards anything.  Just adding to the pile of yarn/tokens/etc.

- The boss fights are great pyrotechnic displays, just amazing stuff.  So why are the NPC animations outside of them so bad?  It feels like two different games at times.

I beat Yooka Laylee last year too.  Overall, that game feels a bit more like a retread, and I'd probably give Hat in Time the edge for that.  But Yooka wasn't as frustrating to play, camera included.  Learning the layout of each world in it was also more fun.  Yooka hit on that exploration angle a bit better.  But if you've played Banjo before, you know the drill.

• 3 weeks later...

Dying Light: The Following -- Lots of fun. The boss fights were not that great (not many of them, though), but everything else quite a lot of fun. The Following was a good piece of DLC, and once I learned to upgrade and use the vehicle better, it was more fun to get around, ESPECIALLY running over zombies. Still, I did miss using a grappling hook through the city.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Moss

Yakuza Kiwami

Yakuza 0

Tetris Effect

Days Gone

Kingdom Hearts 3

God of War

Dying Light: The Following

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Super Turrican

DuckTales Remastered

Unreal

7 Billion Humans

After year 59 of 7 Billion Humans I didn't feel like playing anymore so I just looked up the solutions for the rest of the red path. 

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I should say that I best Assassin’s Creed Odyssey last week. 141 hours and I beat the main story, the Cult story, and the Legacy DLC. I still need to play the Atlantis DLC and I will, but I got a little burned out, so I’m taking a break and playing something else for now. 

But hey, it’s the first game I’ve beaten in a while and it rejuvenated my gaming mood after a lengthy slump. 

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Super Turrican

DuckTales Remastered

Unreal

7 Billion Humans

Doom (2016)

Castlevania/Akumajou Dracula

They didn't put much effort into the Castlevania Anniversary Collection. The collection starts up in a window that doesn't even fit the screen so you have to either resize it or hit alt + enter to go to full screen. No option to quit so you either have to force quit or go back to windowed mode and right click on it in the task bar to close it. Castlevania locked up at least a couple times too. Didn't have any lockups playing the Japanese version.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Moss

Yakuza Kiwami

Yakuza 0

Tetris Effect

Days Gone

Kingdom Hearts 3

God of War

Dying Light: The Following

The Last of Us Remastered

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Concrete Genie

Lots of playtime and a few horror games for October. Concrete Genie's a lovely little game that's good if you want a mostly relaxing experience (there are some action sequences later). 

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Super Turrican

DuckTales Remastered

Unreal

7 Billion Humans

Doom (2016)

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Quake II RTX

It was weird seeing a waterfall in Quake II with a cool RTX effect but very simple geometry. Looked a bit like it was in a glass box.

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger

Super Turrican

DuckTales Remastered

Unreal

7 Billion Humans

Doom (2016)

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

Quake II RTX

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse/Akumajou Dracula Densetsu

Kid Dracula

Castlevania: The Adventure

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

Castlevania: Bloodlines

Super Castlevania IV/Akumajou Dracula

The Japanese versions of Castlevania don't count towards achievements in the Anniversary Collection so I ended up playing Castlevania III five times, taking each branching path at least once and playing with each combination of characters and then solo.

• 4 weeks later...

Just beat Luigi's Mansion 3 - 9/10. I love these games so much.

Resident Evil 2 remake (PC)

Resident Evil 5 (co-op, PC)

Resident Evil 4 (3rd completion, PC)

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (3DS)

Days Gone (PS4)

Shining Force: Final Conflict (GameGear)

Metro: Last Light (PC)

Bayonetta (Switch)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Luigi's Mansion 3

This will probably be it for the year for me. I'm gonna get back to Link's Awakening on Switch, but I doubt I beat it by the end of the month. Kind of a down year for gaming for me, but reading over 60 books is a big reason why. Hopefully I do better next year.

Katamari Damacy REROLL

Human Resource Machine

Dragon Quest XI

Mega Man X5

Mega Man X6

Hollow Knight

Celeste

Titanfall 2

The Messenger