Raggit

Which controller should I get for my PC  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which controller should I get for my PC

• Xbox One
    • Xbox One Elite
    • PS4
    • Other

I started playing Cuphead recently and I've been using the 360 controller. I feel like it's holding me back a lot, because of the D pad. It's not precise enough, IMO. Any suggestions on a controller I should use with a better D pad?

edit: I added a poll to the OP, hope it mess up anything lol.

edit 2: If you vote for the X1 Elite controller, please explain why it's worth $200. :p

2 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Microsoft Elite - once you use it, you can’t go back. 

At almost $200 I would have to see what it feels like before buying it. :o

10 hours ago, vaxick said:

PS4 controller would be my choice. Better D-Pad in my opinion and in a better location.  

How compatible is it with PC games? I haven't looked into it yet, but I wouldn't want to have to configure it for each game that isn't compatible.

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Prolly the X1 controller. I am pretty sure it is the best controller for Windows(10?) PC.

Windows 7 :blush:. I keep telling myself that i'll switch to Win 10 after I upgrade my PC... I just haven't upgraded it yet. :p

I added a poll to the OP.

9 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Isn't that one built more durable?

8 hours ago, Raggit said:

At almost $200 I would have to see what it feels like before buying it. :o

How compatible is it with PC games? I haven't looked into it yet, but I wouldn't want to have to configure it for each game that isn't compatible.

Windows 7 :blush:. I keep telling myself that i'll switch to Win 10 after I upgrade my PC... I just haven't upgraded it yet. :p

I added a poll to the OP.

I paid $120 for a refurb at Best Buy. Best $120 I’ve ever spent.  Although,right now my 10-year old keeps stealing it from me.  It’s just plain awesome.  

The main negative with the elite is no bluetooth besides that it’s the best controller. I don’t mind the high price since it’s something you end up using for probably hundreds of hours so why not pay a bit more up front to have constantly a better experience with most games. That said my only apprehension buying one now is there surely has to be a bluetooth model coming at some point.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

If you have a Switch you could use the Pro Controller. 

Good controller, but since he wants to use the D-Pad, it's dependant on if he has one with the shit D-Pad or the revised model that is said to be much improved.  

2 hours ago, vaxick said:

Good controller, but since he wants to use the D-Pad, it's dependant on if he has one with the shit D-Pad or the revised model that is said to be much improved.  

I don't think I've had problems with the one on my launch Pro...what's this about a revised one???

As much as I like the elite, the paddles are way to susceptible to accidental presses. If you are really into the paddles I'd recommend getting a scuf or a Battlebeavercustom (there is a scuf elite controller for $299). I can't justify the extra money for the elite as just a base controller either. Don't get me wrong, its got a nice weighted feeling to it, great build quality, I just don't think its worth an extra $100.

A regular xbox one controller for $40 is probably the easiest/cheapest solution. Elite if you have the money and are itching for something more.

DS4 if you prefer playstation controller layout.

Since my Xbox 360 receiver died I've been using a DS4 wired (you can use Bluetooth but when I first tried it the connection wasn't great probably because I was using onboard Bluetooth). With InputMapper it's seen as an Xbox 360 controller so the compatibility is great. The trackpad works too which is great for when you switch from monitor to TV so you can start your game and move the cursor off the screen from the couch. You just need to mentally remap onscreen button prompts from Xbox to DS4.

23 hours ago, Jason said:

I don't think I've had problems with the one on my launch Pro...what's this about a revised one???

They revised the D-Pad with the Xenoblade model.  Prior to that quite a few people including myself had a D-Pad that wasn't registering inputs correctly.  I learned it the hard way trying to play Puyo Puyo Tetris.  

I just got the Switch Pro (regular edition) and took it through all the motions to see how the dpad would register.

Fortunately, they either fixed the issue or I just got lucky (or it's not a widespread problem). I tried out the input tester in the Switch settings and didn't get any wrong inputs. I tried the 2D games I have like mega man and bloodstained, no issues. I also tried Puyo Puyo Tetris and didn't have any issues.

I haven't tried it yet, but apparently there's native Switch Pro support in Steam now, so that would be my choice.

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

But where's the D-Pad? :p 

I that most people are voting for the X1 Elite, but so far I don't see how it could justify the price, especially if paddles are susceptible to accidental pressure as Nokt said. Is the regular X1 controller as susceptible?

3 minutes ago, Raggit said:

Is the regular X1 controller as susceptible?

The regular doesn't have paddles.

X1-Elite-Wireless-Controller-FrontBackVi

The point is to use them instead of the regular ABXY buttons so you never have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks.

5 minutes ago, Raggit said:

I that most people are voting for the X1 Elite, but so far I don't see how it could justify the price, especially if paddles are susceptible to accidental pressure as Nokt said. Is the regular X1 controller as susceptible?

I was just thinking of older controllers that probably nobody uses anymore to joke with you. I was trying to remember a joystick they had at Gamestop years ago where it had 20-30 pounds of force feedback and it jerked your arm around. I wasn't sure if it was the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick?

18 minutes ago, Raggit said:

I play using my elite 90% of the time and the paddles do what they are supposed to do and never had any issues with accidental presses. They are sensitive because they are supposed to be. When you play with them you get the twitch like button presses. But when playing games like cup head you won't need them so you can take them off.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

The point is to use them instead of the regular ABXY buttons so you never have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks.

That sounds helpful but I would imagine it would take some time to get used to using those instead of the buttons.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

That sounds helpful but I would imagine it would take some time to get used to using those instead of the buttons.

It does but I can't imagine not playing with them when playing FPSs. In games where you need to keep your thumbs on the sticks at all times the paddles are a god send. I Iitterally can't play Overwatch and Titanfall 2 with out them.

1 minute ago, The def star said:

It does but I can't imagine not playing with them when playing FPSs. In games where you need to keep your thumbs on the sticks at all times the paddles are a good send. I Iitterally can't play Overwatch and Titanfall 2 with out them.

I have played some games where it would of been so much easier with those paddles. Do you think they would help with carpal tunnel because some times I have to pause games where you have to repeatedly tap the buttons?

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I have played some games where it would of been so much easier with those paddles. Do you think they would help with carpal tunnel because some times I have to pause games where you have to repeatedly tap the buttons?

Oh definitely. If you are having issues with your thumbs I can see how the paddles will make things easier. Your fingers are in place where the paddles are by default. It just takes a simple twitch of your fingers and you can have any button access literally at your finger tips. 

5 hours ago, Raggit said:

You can’t justify half of the stuff I have bought. However, my kids keep stealing my Elite controller because they like it better. 

Ive never had any issues with the paddles. 

But the Elite controller is better than any other controller I have used. And I have no regrets. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Oops, I don't know why I was thinking of the thumbsticks. :doh:Are the paddles removable? I can totally see myself pressing those by accident... constantly. During intense moments my grip can get pretty tight, lol.

I'll see if my local Game Stop or Best Buy has one on display that I can feel.