The final issue (#25) of the current Darth Vader comic series reveals Anakin Skywalker's "father"

I don't like it because it's just too much planning on Palpatine's part, rather than after Maul was defeated by Obi-Wan, and Anakin came to train with the Jedi, he could sense the power and fear and anger in Anakin so he decided to manipulate him into becoming his new apprentice. Shows that he's good at improvising and adapting his plans when they don't originally work out. 

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I don't like it because it's just too much planning on Palpatine's part, rather than after Maul was defeated by Obi-Wan, and Anakin came to train with the Jedi, he could sense the power and fear and anger in Anakin so he decided to manipulate him into becoming his new apprentice. Shows that he's good at improvising and adapting his plans when they don't originally work out. 

I don't like it either and would have preferred if they were going to go this way, that it would be Darth Plaguies who ultimately "created" Anakin and that Palpatine had either didn't believe that his former Master accomplished it or that he didn't know where Anakin was. Having Palpatine be the one who had done it is just lazy. Also I'm wondering if we're gonna find out 

Spoiler

That Rey is also a product of immaculate force conception. She seems to be.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

It may not have a direct impact but the Marvel Star Wars comics often have really un-obvious ties to the movies. Corporate synergy and all that...

Yeah, for sure. For all of that though, I think they try to keep the movies divorced enough from the broader canon that people can go into the theater without knowing any of that. I’d be shocked if this was relevant to Episode IX but I suppose you never know.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also I'm wondering if we're gonna find out 

Reveal hidden contents

I'd be really surprised if that's the case and I really hope they don't retcon that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was considered as her possible origin at some point, but post Last Jedi it would really feel like step backwards.

Mostly I'm ready for Star Wars to move past the Skywalkers. I'm excited for IX to see the culmination of this trilogy, but I really want to see this franchise evolve beyond its constant consideration of the OT. Far past, far future, just do whatever it takes us to move beyond Anakin and Luke and all the rest.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, for sure. For all of that though, I think they try to keep the movies divorced enough from the broader canon that people can go into the theater without knowing any of that. I’d be shocked if this was relevant to Episode IX but I suppose you never know.

Yes, they do but and often it's not essential to the movies, but there's just enough linking the comics to the movies that if you read both, you can see the connections. You don't HAVE to, but it's fun if you do especially if you know, like most fans who are reading the comics, that the current comics ARE canon. Shit, they brought Darth Maul back from the dead on the show and showed him in Solo with no explanation to fans who don't watch the show. 

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'd be really surprised if that's the case and I really hope they don't retcon that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was considered as her possible origin at some point, but post Last Jedi it would really feel like step backwards.

Mostly I'm ready for Star Wars to move past the Skywalkers. I'm excited for IX to see the culmination of this trilogy, but I really want to see this franchise evolve beyond its constant consideration of the OT. Far past, far future, just do whatever it takes us to move beyond Anakin and Luke and all the rest.

JJ is probably going to undo/“fix” every good decision from the last Jedi that the fanboys hated. 

3 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

All these connections are forced and are a disservice to star wars. I can't wait for this franchise to die one day. 

I find reactions like these amusing. I mean this pretty much is Star Wars, just maybe not the Star Wars you made up in your head. If you don't like it, maybe you don't really like what's at the core of Star Wars. It really is a family drama.

And this "news" isn't shocking at all. It was pretty much set up this way from the inception of the prequels. I don't really think Disney had much choice but to confirm it, considering how flagrantly it was hinted at in Episode III. To not do so would be to contradict a key element of that trilogy.

I dont have an issue with this if the story made damn bit of sense but it instead it relies on Sidious being the worlds luckiest idiot. He manipulates the force into making a one of the strongest Jedi to walk the galaxy and instead of snatching the new born up to raise as his own he just does nothing and hopes for the best. Even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and say he worked behind the scenes to get Jinn and Kenobi there to start his training.  Hes handing Anakin over to the one Jedi that could make the best of him and hoping that Maul is capable of killing Jinn. 

Its a great idea but it feels like it was shoe horned in or Lucas's terrible writing or both. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure if it was in legends or not, but I thought I had read that Plagueous performed amd experiment/ritual to make himself ...and I think Sidious stronger in the Darkside. It failed, but the disturbance was felt by many Jedi, and the Force reacted to it by creating a chosen one. 

Personally, I like this quite a bit more than the idea that Anakin was created by Sidious or his master.