It looks like all the criticism about not visiting troops on Christmas got to the Snowflake in Chief.

Jason

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Will those troops face any disciplinary measures? It's one thing to be excited to meet the President, it's another to actively wear or display campaign material in uniform.

I can't imagine why they should be. It's not like they have a constitutional mandate to remain politically neutral or something. I'd be shocked if that didn't fall under the first.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I can't imagine why they should be. It's not like they have a constitutional mandate to remain politically neutral or something. I'd be shocked if that didn't fall under the first.

Hatch Act, and I think there's separately DoD rules about no politics on base. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hatch Act, and I think there's separately DoD rules about no politics on base. 

"The Hatch Act does not apply to actively serving uniformed members of the Uniformed services of the United States"

7 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

I don't think they have the same rights.

After a quick google, it seems you're right, though I don't think that this specific issue would be cause for concern. Most of the issues that came up immediately have to do with military personnel criticizing the president, war efforts, etc.  

The best quote I found on the subject is "No officer or man in the armed forces has a right, be it constitutional, statutory or otherwise, to publish any information (or make any statement) which will imperil his unit or its cause."

So in general, service members do have much more limited free speech rights than civilians, regardless of being in uniform or not, but mostly it seems those limits are applied to criticisms. It's possible that showing political support could be limited, but I couldn't quickly find examples of that taking place. Still, I stand corrected.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

It's a violation of the UCMJ to be openly political.

These rules are designed to prevent military members' or federal civilian employees' participation in political activities that imply -- or even appear to imply -- official sponsorship, approval or endorsement, officials said. The concern, they explained, is that actual or perceived partisanship could undermine the legitimacy of the military profession and department.

That's not to imply, however, that military members and civilian employees can't participate in politics. In fact, DOD has a longstanding policy of encouraging members to carry out the obligations of citizenship, officials said. DOD encourages its military and civilian members to register to vote and vote as they choose, they said. Both groups can sign nominating petitions for candidates and express their personal opinions about candidates and issues.

However, officials emphasized, they can do so only if they don't act as, or aren't perceived as, representatives of the armed forces in carrying out these activities.

Beyond that, the list of do's and dont's differs depending on whether the employee is a member of the armed forces, a career civil service employee, a political appointee or a member of the career Senior Executive Service, officials said.

Military members, for example, may attend political meetings or rallies only as spectators and not in uniform. They're not permitted to make public political speeches, serve in any official capacity in partisan groups or participate in partisan political campaigns or conventions.

They also are barred from engaging in any political activities while in uniform.

https://www.army.mil/article/71574/rules_restrict_political_activity_by_dod_personnel