2019 NBA Summer of Fun

RedSoxFan9

Not sure if want. Sure it immediately makes the team better, but Lebron couldn't do better with better talent around him, and at some point soon he starts to slow down. I really don't want any part of Kahwi either. They might boost the team to a playoff contender but I don't think they'd get any rings out of it. 

• Like 1

Rondo going to Lakers. 1 year, 9 million.

The Lakers moves so far kind of remind me of the Cavs at the deadline. They're moving their feet a lot to convince LeBron they're working hard, but I am not sure how much their efforts to sign McGee, Lance, and Rondo really help them.

With George out of the running is there any other big signings for the Lakers to make other than Leonard? 

12 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Sooo, the Warriors continue trolling Lebron and decided to go ahead and just pick up Demarcus Cousins 24 hours after his big announcement.

Hopefully this doesn't hurt them.

For a team who is generally better when they go small that means a pretty damn big starting frontcourt with Cousins, Durant, and Green. Which likely now makes them bigger than most teams at C and SF. Granted, McGee was pretty big, but he was also athletic, quicker in transition, and not worried about getting the ball. Maybe most importantly though, McGee proved he was alright with being benched for long stretches and would still come out and play his role whenever he was called. Cousins has had attitude problems in the past, and coming off the bench is something that all star level guys even without the history of someone like Cousins have problems with.

49 minutes ago, johnny said:

nah, the NBAPA did when they voted for a huge spike in the cap instead of a gradual increase. 

Nope. KD going to a 73 win team in his same conference instead of heading East set in to motion this talent consolidation. The cap decision just gave fuel to the fire. The balance of power looks completely different if KD goes to the East.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nope. KD going to a 73 win team in his same conference instead of heading East set in to motion this talent consolidation. The cap decision just gave fuel to the fire. The balance of power looks completely different if KD goes to the East.

Huh?  Durant was never considering going to the East.  It was either the Thunder or the Warriors.

Meanwhile Chris Paul demanding max money and pushing his teammates out...

4 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Huh?  Durant was never considering going to the East.

That’s the point. If KD moved to the East, everything else changes. But he picked literally the worst possible option and went to an already loaded team in the better conference.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That’s the point. If KD moved to the East, everything else changes. But he picked literally the worst possible option and went to an already loaded team in the better conference.

Oh, if only James Harden went to the East instead of re-signing with the Rockets, he completely fucked up the league balance.  See how ridiculous that sounds when you talk about an option that was never on the table to begin with?

5 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Oh, if only James Harden went to the East instead of re-signing with the Rockets, he completely fucked up the league balance.  See how ridiculous that sounds when you talk about an option that was never on the table to begin with?

It was absolutely an option, it just wasn’t one he considered cause he’s too much of a chump to have a team built around him. He needed to join somebody else’s championship dynasty level team.

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a bad option to a go to a team that will win a championship?

For the league? Yes, it’s a bad option for an MVP caliber talent in his prime to go to a 73 win team.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

It was absolutely an option, it just wasn’t one he considered cause he’s too much of a chump to have a team built around him. He needed to join somebody else’s championship dynasty level team.

Why would he leave the Thunder to go to an Eastern Conference team and rebuild?  Gee, Harden should have hit up the Atlanta Hawks and signed there instead, it was definitely an option!

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Which was only possible because the NBAPA voted against a gradual increase in the cap. 

3 hours ago, Amazatron said:

Why would he leave the Thunder to go to an Eastern Conference team and rebuild?  Gee, Harden should have hit up the Atlanta Hawks and signed there instead, it was definitely an option!

The NBA would be better if Harden was in the East. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Which was only possible because the NBAPA voted against a gradual increase in the cap. 

Correct...

11 hours ago, johnny said:

Boogie tore his ACL. He will probably play limited minutes when he comes back and he's not a normal center. Boogie can stretch the floor so I dont see how it would ruin small ball as long as Boogie checks his ego. 

It was actually his Achilles which for a big man who already had weight issues is gonna be tough to come back. It’s weird to me no one else gave him better offers then the $5 million GS is giving him. I have read his rehab is not going as fast as he thought so maybe other teams know something. Either way, he won’t be on the court till late January or February anyway. 

Todays NBA is so weak though. These Warriors have no self respect what so ever. An entire organization full of bitches. They need an all star team to beat teams. KD ruined the NBA with his decision. 

Been watching Basketball since the 80’s and I couldn’t imagine guys like Bird joining the Lakers after they beat them or magic joining Celtics. Can you imagine Isiah Thomas back in the day joining the Celtics because he kept getting beat by them? Could you imagine Chris Webber joining Lakers after lakers beating kings in the west finals? Hell No. 

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The NBA would be better if Harden was in the East. 

And?  You’re calling a guy out for doing what’s best for him.  Please give an example of a player making a decision to “better the league” that clearly made no sense on an individual level.

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

And?  You’re calling a guy out for doing what’s best for him.  Please give an example of a player making a decision to “better the league” that clearly made no sense on an individual level.

Who said he should? My argument isn’t that he made a bad decision for himself, it’s that his decision has had the cascading effects of ruining the league. He chose a path that necessitates further consolidation of the best players into fewer and fewer teams. That’s bad for the product.

I am calling him out for taking the easy way out though. Cousins too.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Who said he should? My argument isn’t that he made a bad decision for himself, it’s that his decision has had the cascading effects of ruining the league. He chose a path that necessitates further consolidation of the best players into fewer and fewer teams. That’s bad for the product.

I am calling him out for taking the easy way out though. Cousins too.

BS, it doesn't necessitate anything.  Most players still want to get paid.  Look no further than NBAPA President Chris Paul.  He could have taken a discount to help keep the Rockets together, but no, he demanded max money and pushed Ariza out.  Is it the Warriors fault the Rockets decided to pay Ryan Anderson $20+ million a year?

The Warriors have assembled a group of guys, mostly from drafting well, all willing to take team friendly deals and take a backseat to the spotlight.

39 minutes ago, Biggie said:

And let’s be honest. Nobody had any idea Curry would be Superman Curry and Thompson would be lights out in three point land. Sometimes you just make good picks and get lucky. @Amazatron

Of course, the Warriors have been extremely fortunate.  But that happens sometimes and they are taking advantage of it.

I honestly don't know enough about the NBA to say if this would work, but what if you greatly increased or completely got rid of max player contracts, but kept the team salary cap? If players like Durant and Lebron were getting paid closer to their actual value, teams just wouldn't be able to afford to put together all-star rosters. Right now a player like Durant taking a small pay cut to play for the Warriors means he misses out on something like what, $5M-$10M, for a nearly guaranteed title. Without the max contract limit, the money difference between what the Warriors could pay vs a team without multiple superstars should be enormous.

Thing is, the NBA has always been about consolidating talent. The Showtime Lakers, Jordan playing on obscenely under-valued contracts, the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, all of the modern era 'Big Threes' (San Antonio, Boston, Miami, etc.) The massive salary cap increase just took it to its logical conclusion.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I honestly don't know enough about the NBA to say if this would work, but what if you greatly increased or completely got rid of max player contracts, but kept the team salary cap? If players like Durant and Lebron were getting paid closer to their actual value, teams just wouldn't be able to afford to put together all-star rosters. Right now a player like Durant taking a small pay cut to play for the Warriors means he misses out on something like what, $5M-$10M, for a nearly guaranteed title. Without the max contract limit, the money difference between what the Warriors could pay vs a team without multiple superstars should be enormous.

The salary cap would have to rise because i can’t see Lebrons worth to a franchise being less than the yearly salary cap when you consider everything he brings to the table.