Krakatoa has errupted, large tsunami hits Indonesia

Government didn't use the warning system as there was no earthquake, so they told people it was just the tide caused by a full moon:

Indonesian authorities initially claimed the wave was not a tsunami, but instead a tidal surge and urged the public not to panic.

Nugroho later apologised for the mistake on Twitter, saying because there was no earthquake it had been difficult to ascertain the cause of the incident early on.

"If there is an initial error we're sorry," he wrote.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/1223/1018803-43-killed-and-nearly-600-injured-in-indonesia-tsunami/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/underwater-i-could-only-pray-the-indonesia-tsunami-washed-away-a-pop-band-as-it-played/ar-BBRlb9i?ocid=AMZN

four people connected to the band were killed: bassist M. Awal “Bani” Purbani, road manager Oki Wijaya, guitarist Herman Sikumbang and crew member Ujang.

Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post

The band’s drummer was still missing, as was the lead singer’s wife.

One crew member, identified by Channel NewsAsia by the name Zack, said he survived by holding on to part of the collapsed stage.

“Underwater, I could only pray, ‘Jesus Christ, help!’,” Zack said of his struggle in the water. “In the final seconds, I almost ran out of breath.”

The private concert by pop band Seventeen was part of an end-of-year celebration for Perusahaan Listrik Negara, the country’s electricity utility, according to Channel News Asia. Twenty-nine people who attended the show were killed by the tsunami.

On Sunday, Seventeen’s lead singer, Riefan Fajarsyah, posted a tearful video on Instagram, apparently still wearing the shirt in which he had performed the night before.

“Andi, Herman and Ujang have not been found, please pray for them,” he said as he wiped away tears. “Please pray also that my wife will be found soon. Please pray also for Bani and Oki [who passed away].”