Breaking: RBG has undergone surgery for early stage lung cancer

3 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

New president takes office January 20 after Nov elections, so two years+1mo 

New Senate is seated earlier than that and Dems are in very good shape to take control, and confirmations take a few months before a vote can be had. I’d say 20 months is probably what you’re looking at before Trump and the next Senate run out of time.

Ha, you think turtle wouldn't rush the proceedings to get another goursich on the court?

And Dems aren't in a great position in the Senate in 2020. This map doesn't exactly look like it will be an easy push. I only see one easy pickup, and only 4 more even in reach with States that have recently elected Democrats. Particularly since Doug Jones will not win reelection. Best case there's a 50-50 Senate with a Dem president/VP

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Ha, you think turtle wouldn't rush the proceedings to get another goursich on the court?

And Dems aren't in a great position in the Senate in 2020. This map doesn't exactly look like it will be an easy push. I only see one easy pickup, and only 4 more even in reach with States that have recently elected Democrats. Particularly since Doug Jones will not win reelection. Best case there's a 50-50 Senate with a Dem president/VP

What I’m describing *is* a rush. It still takes time. The president has to decide who to put up, the judiciary committee has to prepare for confirmation hearings, the committee has to hold hearings, and then a vote has to be scheduled. Gorsuch is a good example of the GOP flying through the process.

There are 3 seats I see as strong candidates to go to the Dems. 50/50 is all you need if the White House goes to the Dems :p

44 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Its not a slam dunk, but McSally just lost her senate race in AZ and is up in 2020 and I can easily see people rejecting someone they already rejected a few years earlier, CO is basically a blue state and probably the most likely to flip, Collins is also super weak after her Kavanaugh vote and recent midterm results in Maine, and dems have won statewide races recently in NC, MT, WV, and KS, and in IO 3 of its 4 house seats just flipped to dem with the 4th swinging heavily toward dems.  Add in a recession, sprinkle in some retirements, and Trump continuing to spiral, who knows just how bad of a night the GOP could have.

Pat Roberts from KS is expected to announce his retirement after the holidays for example, which makes the likelihood of a pick up there even higher, especially if that idiots Kobach runs and wins the GOP primary, lol.

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its not a slam dunk, but McSally just lost her senate race in AZ and is up in 2020 and I can easily see people rejecting someone they already rejected a few years earlier, CO is basically a blue state and probably the most likely to flip, Collins is also super weak after her Kavanaugh vote and recent midterm results in Maine, and dems have won statewide races recently in NC, MT, WV, and KS, and in IO 3 of its 4 house seats just flipped to dem with the 4th swinging heavily toward dems.  Add in a recession, sprinkle in some retirements, and Trump continuing to spiral and who knows just how bad of a night the GOP could have.

And ranked choice voting in Maine means no opportunity for a Green party spoiler or two Democrats splitting the vote to keep Collins in her seat. IIRC she's the last Congressional Republican left in all of NEw England. Seems like a decent enough chance he announces she's retiring before 2020.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its not a slam dunk, but McSally just lost her senate race in AZ and is up in 2020 and I can easily see people rejecting someone they already rejected a few years earlier, CO is basically a blue state and probably the most likely to flip, Collins is also super weak after her Kavanaugh vote and recent midterm results in Maine, and dems have won statewide races recently in NC, MT, WV, and KS, and in IO 3 of its 4 house seats just flipped to dem with the 4th swinging heavily toward dems.  Add in a recession, sprinkle in some retirements, and Trump continuing to spiral, who knows just how bad of a night the GOP could have.

Pat Roberts from KS is expected to announce his retirement after the holidays for example, which makes the likelihood of a pick up there even higher, especially if that idiots Kobach runs and wins the GOP primary, lol.

AZ, IA, NC, and ME are the reaches (the anti Collins block is overrated if she is running again, especially after two more years where she can do protest votes and it mean nothing) with CO being a trade for AL. IA is very swingy, and it depends if Grassley is running again, if he's not it's a tossup. Mcsalley has two years to show what she can do and may get a slight bump as a semi incumbent. KS, MT, and WV are also reaches but even more so than the first four states. Those states are much more red, and had candidates in 18 (in WV and MT cause I know those states better) who the small states knew as long time incumbents.

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

AZ, IA, NC, and ME are the reaches (the anti Collins block is overrated if she is running again, especially after two more years where she can do protest votes and it mean nothing) with CO being a trade for AL. IA is very swingy, and it depends if Grassley is running again, if he's not it's a tossup. KS, MT, and WV are also reaches but even more so than the first four states. Those states are much more red, and had candidates in 18 (in WV and MT cause I know those states better) who the small states knew as long time incumbents.

2014 was the worst year for turn out in modern times, and you're ignoring the trend in where the electorates are heading, Maine is a D+5 state Collins survival relies on dems liking her, and right now they really don't like her, and their other senator is an independent that just won re-election with everyone knowing he caucuses with Dems, and it wasn't close.

8 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

2014 was the worst year for turn out in modern times, and you're ignoring the trend in where the electorate is heading, Maine is a D+5 state Collins survival relies on dems liking her, and right now they really don't like her.

Still early to tell, but Collins can recover from the kav nonsense it's still two years out

That said

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Still early to tell, but Collins can recover from the kav nonsense it's still two years out

That said

And then House Republicans passed a bill that will never become law, that they don't want to become law, just to stick it to Pelosi and aggrandize Trump's ego with the only small consequence being a government shutdown.

They continue to bend over backwards to enable the very conduct they claim to want to stop.

In summary; fuck the whole spineless lot of them. They'll probably all be calling Mattis a closet Democrat who was trying to sabotage Trump once Fox News has a couple days to get their messaging straight.