Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

Something I continue to find kinda funny: even with all this talk, the White House still doesn't have a plan for a wall.

They're asking for a specific number, but they have no justification for it. There's no plan, no cost summary, no real world estimates. The current steel slat design wasn't one of the prototypes. This is Trump's signature policy proposal and they don't have a clue what they'd do even if given the money.

9 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Something I continue to find kinda funny: even with all this talk, the White House still doesn't have a plan for a wall.

They're asking for a specific number, but they have no justification for it. There's no plan, no cost summary, no real world estimates. The current steel slat design wasn't one of the prototypes. This is Trump's signature policy proposal and they don't have a clue what they'd do even if given the money.

It's been amazing the conversation has been about simply giving the White House the money for a win, but few are asking (as always): "where is the money going? How will it be spent? What are we defining as a wall to the public?" 

It's as infuriating as every time a Republican, particularly Trump, says something like: "people are saying it. Lots of people have come to me and told me we need a wall." And no journalist ever goes: "WHICH PEOPLE? WHERE? NAME THEM. WHO IS SAYING IT?"

It's insane, as always. 

I loved when Katy Tur finally put the screws and did this tactic with one Trump guy (go to minute 6:30):

I wonder how the court challenge would work out if he does decide to declare an emergency and use the military to build the wall. I imagine there are pretty clear arguments to be made that there is no national emergency, and probably question of funding as well, but what kind of standing is required in such a case? I have no clue how that would all shake out.

It'll also be fun to find out if Trump will sign the budget if he does decide to go this route. If he's going to use emergency powers to build the wall, then it seems like it would be acceptable to fund the government.

No one in the administration knew exactly what a shutdown meant

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/trump-shutdown-government-did-not-know.html

Nobody in the administration had a clear understanding of just what a shutdown would entail. Two devastating reports in the Washington Post over the weekend detail the horrifying scope of their ignorance. The administration did not realize that 38 million Americans lose their food stamps under a shutdown, nor did it know that thousands of tenants would face eviction without assistance from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Administration officials “recognized only this week the breadth of the potential impact,” reports the Post, and was “focused now on understanding the scope of the consequences and determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene.” First Trump shut down the government, and then the Trump administration started looking into what effect this would have.

Also: