Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

2 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Did Trump just watch Game of Thrones for the first time recently and decide to make it his new PR campaign?

And why are his eyes so red in that pic? Did he rediscover some leftover cocaine from the election? Maybe that is why he still can't get over Hillary. 

Trump simply relates to Craster... ya know, with wanting to have sex with his daughter and all.

2 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Did Trump just watch Game of Thrones for the first time recently and decide to make it his new PR campaign?

And why are his eyes so red in that pic? Did he rediscover some leftover cocaine from the election? Maybe that is why he still can't get over Hillary. 

He just watched the first season.

I've said it before, but one of the things I hate the most about the way the Congress works is the ability for the majority party to prevent votes entirely and indefinitely. I didn't like it when Dems were in charge and I don't like it now.

The Senate's makeup hardly changed, and they voted unanimously to approve pretty much the exact measures the House just passed. If every GOP Senator wants to vote against their own plan from a couple weeks ago because the President is throwing a temper tantrum, fine, but I want them to have to prove it.

The way it is now, McConnell can just say that a bill passed unanimously two weeks ago is a "non-starter" and that's the end of it. We don't get to find out exactly how spineless the rest of the Senate is.

I'm sure there could be procedural issues in allowing a minority party to bring something to a vote, but it seems like we could devise a system where they have some ability to do so that wouldn't allow them to completely disrupt the chamber.

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've said it before, but one of the things I hate the most about the way the Congress works is the ability for the majority party to prevent votes entirely and indefinitely. I didn't like it when Dems were in charge and I don't like it now.

The Senate's makeup hardly changed, and they voted unanimously to approve pretty much the exact measures the House just passed. If every GOP Senator wants to vote against their own plan from a couple weeks ago because the President is throwing a temper tantrum, fine, but I want them to have to prove it.

The way it is now, McConnell can just say that a bill passed unanimously two weeks ago is a "non-starter" and that's the end of it. We don't get to find out exactly how spineless the rest of the Senate is.

I'm sure there could be procedural issues in allowing a minority party to bring something to a vote, but it seems like we could devise a system where they have some ability to do so that wouldn't allow them to completely disrupt the chamber.

Maybe it's just the House, but I believe there is a petition process where if enough Reps get together, they can force a vote regardless of what the Speaker wants.  I'm not sure there is an equivalent process in the Senate, though. 

26 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do what most parliamentary democracies do and have "opposition days" where they get a chance to bring bills forward.

I figured other systems of government had something like this, but I'm too ignorant of how the rest of the world works to know.

That quote is hilarious. "That's why rich, powerful, and successful people build them around their homes."

Not only is that a stupid thing to say, it's also implying that rich people build walls to keep the poletariat ("the great unwashed massed") out, which is the majority of America.

So building a wall means, to Trump, keeping out the proles. It's right there. He said it. 

There are a lot of stats in that release that I imagine will not hold up well under much scrutiny, but even those that do are largely beside the point. The only specific arguments made for a wall and not border security in general are "rich people have them" and "it works in Israel." At least when he makes disingenuous arguments about the legal issues that need to be fixed, specific issues are outlined, fixes are proposed, and at least a sentence is there to support it. The rest of it is more like "illegal immigration is bad ... therefore wall!"

Not that fact checking Trump does any good, but the "99% effective" border "wall" in Israel, if wikipedia is to be believed, is 94% various types of fencing and only 6% concrete barriers. That's even setting aside all the differences between our border and theirs, and the reasons each are needed.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

There are a lot of stats in that release that I imagine will not hold up well under much scrutiny, but even those that do are largely beside the point. The only specific arguments made for a wall and not border security in general are "rich people have them" and "it works in Israel." At least when he makes disingenuous arguments about the legal issues that need to be fixed, specific issues are outlined, fixes are proposed, and at least a sentence is there to support it. The rest of it is more like "illegal immigration is bad ... therefore wall!"

Not that fact checking Trump does any good, but the "99% effective" border "wall" in Israel, if wikipedia is to be believed, is 94% various types of fencing and only 6% concrete barriers. That's even setting aside all the differences between our border and theirs, and the reasons each are needed.

And with Israel, there's a lot more going on than just a wall. Like, you know, the fact that it's manned with armed soldiers for its entire length. 

39 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That quote is hilarious. "That's why rich, powerful, and successful people build them around their homes."

Not only is that a stupid thing to say, it's also implying that rich people build walls to keep the poletariat ("the great unwashed massed") out, which is the majority of America.

So building a wall means, to Trump, keeping out the proles. It's right there. He said it. 

If this were any other politician that alone would be a Romney 47% moment.

As it is, no one will remember he said it by Monday.