Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

Remember that dumbass phrase from the election, "They take him literally, but not seriously."? One small part of that was how his supporters saw "the wall" as a metaphor. "Moderates" said Trump just meant it figuratively as increased border security, while hardcore Trumpists clearly saw an actual, old fashioned stone wall.

Surprise, it's hard to govern based on an abstract gut feeling. Might as well try to make a law out of Yes Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus.

It's fun to watch Trump squirm on this because with most every other issue he plays fast and loose with the language, lies, and moves on to the next scandal secure in the knowledge that his base is with him. But on this, he tries to be slippery on what the wall is, and his hardcore base won't let him do it because it's the core issue they stuck with him on.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

And Bitch McTurtle is already saying the Senate won't hold a vote on anything that doesn't have the president’s full support. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

That's an interesting strategy, funding everything but homeland security for a full year, so the fight over the wall will continue. It's probably as likely to get passed as anything, but I think it hints at Dems expectations that this shutdown isn't giving them as much leverage as they'd have without it.

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That's an interesting strategy, funding everything but homeland security for a full year, so the fight over the wall will continue. It's probably as likely to get passed as anything, but I think it hints at Dems expectations that this shutdown isn't giving them as much leverage as they'd have without it.

Charlie Dent had been saying that they could do this all week. The Republicans could have done it too... I think this was always gonna be Chuck and Nancy's plan if the shutdown went on that long.

Dems need to take a page out of the Republicans book and attack Trump from the right on the wall.

I've heard only one pundit make this point, but it's a very good one; sometime in 2017 Trump's wall died. All this jockeying right now is just fighting over the scraps of its corpse.

Trump right now is asking for a fraction of the cost of a wall(that Mexico was supposed to pay for). By 2020 you are looking at total gridlock of the election year. For all intents and purposes the wall is dead. Trump could have had something, instead he decided to fail at killing Obamacare and succeed at giving billionaires a tax break(not to mention the DACA deal).

37 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The green new deal is shit.  There is no plan.  At least M4A has some structure to it. 

It needs a carbon tax with a dividend, but to transition to a low carbon economy will require a significant governmental response and spending. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's 70+ years of suburban development that needs adaptation to transition to a more sustainable pattern. The market can't and won't solve everything

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It needs a carbon tax with a dividend, but to transition to a low carbon economy will require a significant governmental response and spending. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's 70+ years of suburban development that needs adaptation to transition to a more sustainable pattern. The market can't and won't solve everything

I mean, suburban sprawl is the direct result of government policies, so of course it's going to take government to solve the problem.

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean, suburban sprawl is the direct result of government policies, so of course it's going to take government to solve the problem.

That's exactly my point. Not having a government correct past government actions would look like the US after the end of formal segregation, where the institutions of racism remain in place, but not much is done to right the wrongs in housing, education, etc.