Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

So I did a very brief read on cloture, and it’s a rule that allows you to break filibuster.

But if you need 60 votes to break filibuster, and you need 60 votes to pass cloture, to move on to a final vote, what is the point of cloture? Just to call a vote and hope things play differently? Shut up annoying people reading phone books?

19 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

So I did a very brief read on cloture, and it’s a rule that allows you to break filibuster.

But if you need 60 votes to break filibuster, and you need 60 votes to pass cloture, to move on to a final vote, what is the point of cloture? Just to call a vote and hope things play differently? Shut up annoying people reading phone books?

The point of cloture is to end debate. If debate can't be ended and a vote on the matter can't be called, the issue (bill) is tabled. It's a bunch of dumb parliamentary procedure shit, but helps chambers move along. The whole idea and the point of the filibuster was that debate could continue to go on until the speaker(s) give out/debate is exhausted so that the 'deliberative' Senate can 'properly' debate bills from the 'hot headed house'. But now senators can just say (I'm summarizing) "I filibuster" and don't have to do any hard work of standing up and reading from a phone book or whatever.

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

It sounds like I need to look up the word cloture, because that’s a step in the legislative process I didn’t even know existed.

I always thought it was debate -> vote.

Cloture is the formal end to debate.

Thousands of recalled IRS workers aren’t showing up

The IRS called back 26,000 staffers to work without pay in a key division during the partial government shutdown, but less than half, around 12,000, actually reported by Tuesday, a Hill Democratic aide told POLITICO. IRS officials briefed the House Appropriations Committee on Thursday.

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The IRS called back 26,000 staffers to work without pay in a key division during the partial government shutdown, but less than half, around 12,000, actually reported by Tuesday, a Hill Democratic aide told POLITICO. IRS officials briefed the House Appropriations Committee on Thursday.

Good, I wouldn't

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

And how many of those people are never going to come back, even after the government is reopened.

17 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Really dumb if these people will be out of a job again in 3 weeks over same dumb bullshit 

The one positive is that a lot of these paycheck deprived people is that they'll get paid almost immediately and up until the next shutdown.