Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He just handed the Dems a gift and they have to start playing offense. They have ignore him and focus on the Republicans in the Senate now to come up with a Veto proof majority to reopen the Government.  We have a crisis alright,  a crisis of competent leadership in the executive branch and Congress has to start acting that way.

You mean like a plan that has $X billion for border security plus a DACA citizenship path?

Throw that on the table and dare the Republicans to reject it.  I just have no faith in Nancy and Chuck to be that smart.

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

You mean like a plan that has $X billion for border security plus a DACA citizenship path?

Throw that on the table and dare the Republicans to reject it.  I just have no faith in Nancy and Chuck to be that smart.

I think they can get that without the wall... like others in the thread have said, dont give him anything he can spin.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He just handed the Dems a gift and they have to start playing offense. They have ignore him and focus on the Republicans in the Senate now to come up with a Veto proof majority to reopen the Government.  We have a crisis alright,  a crisis of competent leadership in the executive branch and the Senate majority leadership and Congress has to start acting that way.

ftfy

Coast Guard put up a page to give tips to workers now working without pay!

Washington Post:

Employees of the U.S. Coast Guard who are facing a long U.S. government shutdown just received a suggestion: To get by without pay, consider holding a garage sale, babysitting or serving as a “mystery shopper.”

The suggestions were part of a five-page tip sheet published by the Coast Guard Support Program, an employee-assistance arm of the service often known as CG SUPRT. It is designated to offer Coast Guard members help with mental-health issues or other concerns about their lives, including financial wellness.

The Coast Guard receives funding from the Department of Homeland Security, and is subjected to the shuttering of parts of the government along with DHS’s other agencies. That stands in contrast to other military services, which are part of the Defense Department and have funding.

The tip sheet, titled “Managing your finances during a furlough,” applies to the Coast Guard’s 8,500-person civilian work force. About 6,400 of them are on indefinite furlough, while 2,100 are working without pay after being identified as essential workers, said Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, a service spokesman. They were last paid for the two-week period ending Dec. 22.

The page has since been taken down after the WaPo article.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think they can get that without the wall... like others in the thread have said, dont give him anything he can spin.

What could possibly give them a veto-proof majority -- which requires 20 Republican senators and 55 Republican representatives --  to re-open the government without something resembling border security?

Freshman Dems feeling the heat as shutdown drags on

Some members in the new class of House Democrats are concerned with the party’s strategy.

I'm telling you guys that the end game for this will be $X billion for "border security" plus the DACA citizenship path.  Why not want the Democrats to seize the initiative on this now and throw it in the face of the Senate GOP rather than wait until it's effectively forced on them by mounting public pressure?

13 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

What could possibly give them a veto-proof majority -- which requires 20 Republican senators and 55 Republican representatives --  to re-open the government without something resembling border security?

Are we talking about border security or The Wall? I'm definitely not gonna conflate the two things like Republicans are trying to. Dems can simply pressure Republicans to agree to the deal that Trump initially said we would sign almost a year ago before he got spooked by the right and pass that in exchange for DACA. What I'm hearing is that they may be able to pass a clean funding bill without any border security stuff in it to get the Government open again because Senate Republicans are starting to fold. They have options is my point, and they don't have to capitulate to this wall bullshit. Bypass Trump because he's not a good faith actor with either the Democrats OR the Republicans.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Are we talking about border security or The Wall?  Dems can simply pressure Republicans to agree to the deal that Trump initially said we would sign almost a year ago before he got spooked by the right and pass that in exchange for DACA. 

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

Dare the GOP Senate to reject the 2017 proposal that the Imbecile originally agreed to before the Right spooked him: $X billion for "border security" plus DACA citizenship path.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Dems aren't getting DACA from this. Add that on and you've changed the narrative from Trump throwing a temper tantrum over the wall to Dems holding government funding for DACA kids. Keep the focus on Republicans and Trump.

As opposed to the inevitable "It's only a $5 billion wall.  Why are the Democrats holding government funding hostage over a $5 billion wall?" narrative that will eventually make its way into the public consciousness through the media?

The way you keep the focus on the Imbecile and the GOP is by forcing them to reject a completely reasonable offer.  That's playing offense, not sitting on a lead and playing "prevent defense".

I was at UF at in 1994 when we had a 31-3 lead against FSU in Tallahassee going into the 4th quarter so we decided to sit on the lead and play prevent defense.  You know what happened?  It's gonna be forever known as the Choke at Doak.  Let's not have Nancy and Chuck do the same with this opportunity.

• Haha 1

The real answer is to just buy up a ton of commercial time nationwide and just air footage of Trump taking ownership for the shutdown.

Either that, or kill off fights heading into Palm Beach International. I mean, those flights are going to die off eventually if this keeps up, but Trump will be a whole lot more cooperative if his buddies can't fly out to Mar a Lago.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

As opposed to the inevitable "It's only a $5 billion wall.  Why are the Democrats holding government funding hostage over a $5 billion wall?" narrative that will eventually make its way into the public consciousness through the media?

The way you keep the focus on the Imbecile and the GOP is by forcing them to reject a completely reasonable offer.  That's playing offense, not sitting on a lead and playing "prevent defense".

I was at UF at in 1994 when we had a 31-3 lead against FSU in Tallahassee going into the 4th quarter so we decided to sit on the lead and play prevent defense.  You know what happened?  It's gonna be forever known as the Choke at Doak.  Let's not have Nancy and Chuck do the same with this opportunity.

• Guillotine 1