Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I was speaking towards confronting Trump directly about his lies, not just calling him a liar on air. 

After the shit storm with Jim Acosta, who wants to even try? I mean, I would, but I'm an asshole who LOVES triggering assholes like Trump.

Senate dems plan to block every bill that doesn't re-open the government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-pledge-to-paralyze-senate-as-shutdown-negotiation-tactic/2019/01/07/ed5e355e-12aa-11e9-a896-f104373c7ffd_story.html?utm_term=.f848cd3baf23

A growing coalition of Senate Democrats — hailing primarily from states that have a large population of federal workers, as well as the contingent of senators eyeing presidential bids in 2020 — say the chamber should not vote on anything else until the shutdown ends. Those tactics were first proposed by Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.). 

“The Senate should vote on nothing else until we vote to reopen the government. Period,” Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) tweeted on Monday. “This shutdown is squeezing the finances of so many Americans, including thousands of federal workers who live in Virginia. As leaders, we can’t just whistle past the graveyard of this crisis.” 

Among the Democratic senators who have endorsed Van Hollen’s strategy include his fellow Maryland Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin, Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.). 

They are also supported by key liberal outside groups, including the Center for American Progress, Indivisible and the AFL-CIO, although this strategy hasn’t been backed caucus-wide. 

“I almost never use these types of procedures, but this is extraordinary to be meeting like this while a good part of the government is shut down,” Cardin said Monday in an interview.

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Senate dems plan to block every bill unless it re-opens government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-pledge-to-paralyze-senate-as-shutdown-negotiation-tactic/2019/01/07/ed5e355e-12aa-11e9-a896-f104373c7ffd_story.html?utm_term=.f848cd3baf23

A growing coalition of Senate Democrats — hailing primarily from states that have a large population of federal workers, as well as the contingent of senators eyeing presidential bids in 2020 — say the chamber should not vote on anything else until the shutdown ends. Those tactics were first proposed by Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.). 

“The Senate should vote on nothing else until we vote to reopen the government. Period,” Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) tweeted on Monday. “This shutdown is squeezing the finances of so many Americans, including thousands of federal workers who live in Virginia. As leaders, we can’t just whistle past the graveyard of this crisis.” 

Among the Democratic senators who have endorsed Van Hollen’s strategy include his fellow Maryland Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin, Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.). 

They are also supported by key liberal outside groups, including the Center for American Progress, Indivisible and the AFL-CIO, although this strategy hasn’t been backed caucus-wide. 

“I almost never use these types of procedures, but this is extraordinary to be meeting like this while a good part of the government is shut down,” Cardin said Monday in an interview.

Unprecedented Democrat obstruction.

maxresdefault.jpg

12 hours ago, MarSolo said:

After the shit storm with Jim Acosta, who wants to even try? I mean, I would, but I'm an asshole who LOVES triggering assholes like Trump.

Trump rarely takes questions anyway BECAUSE he doesn't like being challenged on air... again I don't know where the notion that the MSM doesn't push back against him comes from. Remember this?

Skip to about 2:20 to see how a fairly softball interview abruptly turns hostile and Trump shuts down from the mildest of questions.

15 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Journalists are supposed to have balls. That's their job to push and prod and test the President. Who wants to even try? 

Real journalists, one would hope. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11841500

I didn't see it posted already, so here's the Lawfare article on the legalities of declaring a national emergency to build a wall. Here are the key points:

-The President can declare a national emergency for basically whatever he wants.

-Not all national emergencies allow redirection of DoD funds, only emergencies that "require the use of the armed forces."

-Even then, you're only allowed to spend money on "military construction projects" that "are necessary to support such use of the armed forces."

-It's unclear who would have standing to challenge such a move, and unclear what it would take to win. Basically, if the President says we're in an emergency that requires the use of the armed forces, who is even allowed to disagree?

To me, that reads like the travel ban. It seems like something that lower courts will block, probably on the basis of the easily disproved lies that he'll tell in announcing this, but if the order itself is worded correctly it would probably be upheld by the supreme court.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Journalists are supposed to have balls. That's their job to push and prod and test the President. Who wants to even try? 

Real journalists, one would hope. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11841500

Jonathan Karl definitely fact checked the shit out of Mike Pence today.

No wonder he's called Mike Dense.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just watched that other video. Back in the gimp cage for you Pence.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

I predict that he will say "so true" at least once because why would Trump read the speech ahead of time.

Wait until he tells you all the "people" who have told him he's right that he can't name. "So many people have come to me . . . " "So many people have said . . . " Etc.

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Wait until he tells you all the "people" who have told him he's right that he can't name. "So many people have come to me . . . " "So many people have said . . . " Etc.

THEY GRABBED ME BY THE LAPELS WITH TEARS IN THEIR EYES 

• Haha 1