Trump ‘at this moment’ opposes deal to avert shutdown, wants more border funding

Jason

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I know I keep harping on about the same thing in different ways, but I do it to keep myself sane. We can't let the president's insistence on insanity let us forget that this wall will never be built. Even if Trump got the money tomorrow and got a second term, the physical, political, and legal practicalities would be that such it's almost impossible to imagine the barrier being completed, and even if it did, it wouldn't do much if anything.

Chris Cuomo made the same point on his show last night.

You know that scenes in movies where a guy with a gun is yelling at himself and pacing back and forth to get himself pysched up to shoot the guy he has tied up in front of him?

It sounds like everyone in Washington is basically doing that right now to psyche themselves up for Trump's fictional state of emergency.

There have been a lot of low points for Democracy in this presidency, but the resignation(and in some corners even relief and anticipation) that seems to be greeting this act of fraudulent authoritarianism seems to me to be one of the lowest.

14 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

You know that scenes in movies where a guy with a gun is yelling at himself and pacing back and forth to get himself pysched up to shoot the guy he has tied up in front of him?

It sounds like everyone in Washington is basically doing that right now to psyche themselves up for Trump's fictional state of emergency.

There have been a lot of low points for Democracy in this presidency, but the resignation(and in some corners even relief and anticipation) that seems to be greeting this act of fraudulent authoritarianism seems to me to be one of the lowest.

It gets better

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It gets better

That may be the one avenue that could actually provoke McTurtle into passing a bill and going for an override. 

From what I can tell, this "strategy" would result in months, if not over a year, of a shutdown. Not only that, but Dems would have the upper hand in the legal process up until at least the end. Trump's position would seemingly be that he wouldn't budge until SCOTUS rules on it because that would be the only time he truly "won". But all throughout the process Dems could, and probably would, win a stay on any actual construction or perhaps even any shifting of funds. Which, if Trump is dead set on being as intransigent as possible, surely would not bode well for him to randomly agree to open the government 4 monthes in.

Also, that article suggests Trump still fundamentally is misreading who has who by the balls in this fight. Then again, this might be all performance art to solidify his core around him as his best defense for Mueller's incoming report. In this scenario, a grand bargain of DACA for the Wall, much less total capitulation on funding, may be less favorable for him than activating his most diehard base.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Much longer and air traffic grinds to a halt as air traffic controllers and TSA agents quit, and tax returns aren't processed. Then the economy takes a nose dive and we really see how loyal his base, and Republican supporters in Congress, really are.

His base will still support him. The man could be stabbing them repeatedly and somehow they will say it is the democrats fault. 

15 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s ‘spicy’ because the moment you start impeaching presidents for acting like idiots and being ineffectual leaders rather than for legit crimes, both parties will do nothing but spend their time enacting or stopping impeachment proceedings from now until the implosion of the Republic.

Trump’s kind of digging his own grave here; I wouldn’t bail him out by going overboard and inviting backlash.

On a side note, I was supposed to fly out to the Dominican Republic last week to teach a course but I couldn’t get my passport renewed in time because of the shutdown so YOLO United Failed States of America

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Can they do that?

AFAIK, impeachment is only for the President/Vice President, and judges.  Senators and Representatives are removed from office by a 2/3rds vote within their own chamber.  The Democratic House has absolutely no jurisdiction over the Senate, and vice versa. 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm reading this as since the country gave control of the House to democrats.  The consequence of that election is he wants to punish the country for not toeing the line and electing people that would be supportive of him.

Am I far off there? Because I this point I don't see him referring to himself as a consequence. As that would be a negative self-image of his god-king marketing. 

16 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

AFAIK, impeachment is only for the President/Vice President, and judges.  Senators and Representatives are removed from office by a 2/3rds vote within their own chamber.  The Democratic House has absolutely no jurisdiction over the Senate, and vice versa. 

Yup, this is my understanding, as well. One thing House Dems could do is investigate McConnell's craven decision to respond to pre-election intelligence community warnings that Russia was trying to help Trump get elected was, "If you tell anyone about it, I'mgonna burn this motherfucker down."

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

I like it when Trump denies something by citing a confirmation of it.

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

It’s ‘spicy’ because the moment you start impeaching presidents for acting like idiots and being ineffectual leaders rather than for legit crimes, both parties will do nothing but spend their time enacting or stopping impeachment proceedings from now until the implosion of the Republic.

Trump’s kind of digging his own grave here; I wouldn’t bail him out by going overboard and inviting backlash.

On a side note, I was supposed to fly out to the Dominican Republic last week to teach a course but I couldn’t get my passport renewed in time because of the shutdown so YOLO United Failed States of America

This is what the tweet I posted was responding to

I think a complete disregard for the third and fifth amendments would be enough. In addition to the very clear numerous violations of campaign finance law, and more likely than not criminal conspiracy to obtain stolen emails. Anyone not on board with impeachment from a strictly legal perspective is a fucking moron. Politically it's better if he's in the ticket in 2020 because he will probably lose, based on the house results last year and his approval rating now (during a relatively good economy)

People have made up their mind about Trump, and impeachment proceedings won't change that.