Control | Official Thread of Oldest House of Pain, update: Remedy/505 announce 4-player PvE co-op spin-off and "bigger budget" game set in Control universe

Commissar SFLUFAN

https://controlgame.com/control-community-blog-whats-new/

Control – What’s Next?

Now that Control has launched and we’ve been able to get a few updates out of the way, it’s time to take a look at what’s coming next. We will continue to build on the world of Control, creating additional game content all the way through 2020. We already have a small team in place at Remedy that’s busy working on post-launch content.

Here’s a brief overview of what’s coming to Control…

First up, while some crafty PC players “unlocked” their own versions of this already, we are working on a much-desired Photo Mode, which will enable you to take some awesome snapshots of Jesse in the Oldest House. Make sure you unlock all of her costumes to flex by the time the Photo Mode arrives this fall. We’ll have more information on this soon.

New Game Mode
In December, we will release a new game mode for Control that we are currently calling Expeditions. This will be a challenging new end-game mode in which Jesse must help Security Chief Arish explore the mysterious Formation and its strange surroundings. Here you will face the some the greatest challenges that the Oldest House can throw at you. You will need the best gear and abilities to survive. Expeditions is free for all players.

Expansions
Moving ahead to 2020, there will be two full, paid expansions that our team is hard at work creating: The Foundation and AWE. Both of these will offer new story missions, enemies, and game mechanics, and take place in new locations within the Oldest House.

The Foundation will delve into the history of the Oldest House. At the request of the ever-mysterious Board, Jesse must explore what lies beneath the Bureau as she returns order to the Foundation and the Oldest House itself. Expect things to get weird.

The second expansion, AWE, will take Jesse into a new part of the Oldest House, the Investigations Sector, where the Bureau closely examines Altered World Events.

Finally, we would like to thank everyone from press to fans and the entire community for your support and feedback. The amazing response to Control means the world for us. Keep it coming!

CONTROL_post_launch_roadmap_FINAL.jpg

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I look forward to the two DLC expansions - Alan Wake had two DLC story expansions that were direct sequels to the main game. Hope the same is the case here. I wonder if they'll make Control 2 and if that'd now be a Sony exclusive.

Why would it be a Sony exclusive, did I miss something?

12 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Oh look... another roadmap.

:facepalm:

Uhh... it's just telling you when to expect new content. The problem with "roadmaps" isn't the idea of getting new content on a set schedule, it's when a broken, busted, buggy-ass game launches with no content and they release a roadmap to let you know when the piece of shit will be finished. This is just a release schedule for additional content. Control is a very complete game and, outside of shitty console performance, is very polished, this is not a "sorry we release trash" roadmap.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No they were actually the endings to the main game. :p

They helped but the game still wasn't finished after the DLC! Control of all things may help with that.

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Why would it be a Sony exclusive, did I miss something?

I was mostly kidding but some people think Sony will buy Remedy (totally baseless but possible). I think Sony should though. :p 

I just finished this a few nights ago, and I loved every minute of it.  For those who've finished the game:

Spoiler

There are tons of references to movies and games strewn throughout Control's world, but structurally and narratively, I was reminded most of INSIDE.  Both games involve somebody infiltrating a bizarre facility for an unknown purpose, until it's revealed that they were brought there to free an entity in captivity who may have been controlling them all along. 

I can't quite tell if Remedy is intentionally or unintentionally exploring themes of bureaucracy and organizational dynamics, but I think the game can be read as a paranormal analogy of disruptive organization change - an external event (the Hiss) disrupts business, forcing a leadership change (the Director) in order to remedy the situation and turn the organization around.  Again, I'm not sure if Remedy's actually trying to say something about the dehumanizing rhythms of bureaucracy and organizational lifecycles or if they just thought it would be cool to set their game inside of a shifting building and then tried to tie in these themes as an afterthought.  Regardless, the game certainly makes an impact, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I finished.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

How is no one talking about:

Reveal hidden contents

Really enjoyed 100%ing this game.

So did I. I'm looking forward to the future content. The 2nd expansion looks to be continuing with what's in your spoiler tag.

I did however miss the Kojima thing, as the quest seems to have glitched in my game and won't appear.

There's a quest that is supposed to start in the room with the sensory deprivation tanks when you pick up a log entry item. It has to do with Dr. Yoshimi Tokui. Said Dr. is played by Kojima in some tapes that take you on a guided imagery tour. It's supposedly very strange. I haven't watched how it goes, because I want to experience it for myself.

Picking up the item didn't start the quest for me, so I'm hoping a future patch will fix it.

19 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

How is no one talking about:

Hide contents

Alan Wake takes place in this universe. Control is a stealth Alan Wake sequel - awesome. Given the Alan Wake DLC ended on a cliffhanger this is promising news.

Really enjoyed 100%ing this game.

Spoiler

I loved the Alan Wake stuff, and it's cool that they're tying in their other games to this universe (Max Payne is revealed to be real in a different dimension, having come to life once Alan Wake wrote his stories), but I am so desperate for a true Alan Wake sequel that it didn't excite me as much as it could have.  The DLC will be cool, but again it's just a snippet of what we could get if they made a focused follow-up.

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:
  Hide contents

I loved the Alan Wake stuff, and it's cool that they're tying in their other games to this universe (Max Payne is revealed to be real in a different dimension, having come to life once Alan Wake wrote his stories), but I am so desperate for a true Alan Wake sequel that it didn't excite me as much as it could have.  The DLC will be cool, but again it's just a snippet of what we could get if they made a focused follow-up.

I hear ya brotha but I'll take what I can get. I thought I'd never get anything canonical for Alan Wake ever again, so something vs. nothing . . . I'll take something. :p Glad there are other fans out there excited by the connections. Which part in Control confirmed the Max Payne stuff?

54 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Hide contents

I hear ya brotha but I'll take what I can get. I thought I'd never get anything canonical for Alan Wake ever again, so something vs. nothing . . . I'll take something. :p Glad there are other fans out there excited by the connections. Which part in Control confirmed the Max Payne stuff?

Spoiler

Yeah that's a good point.  I guess it's something!  There is a document that describes an altered world event or some other phenomenon having to do with a hard boiled detective whose fiction is brought to life somehow.  I think there is an Alan Wake mention, or at least it's implied he's the writer in that document.  It's a reference to his Alex Casey novels.  They mention it in this article: https://www.gamesradar.com/control-easter-eggs-alan-wake/.  There is a reference to a world in which "the cop is real".

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished this last night, and I really enjoyed it, even if it's not without its blemishes. I played on an Xbox One X and I still often got texture pop-in and slow downs. Nothing game breaking, but definitely frustrating at times. Still, it is a beautiful game and there can be a ton of particles floating around, all with some amount of physics. 

I made an early mistake in not pursuing side missions. I got to a point a bit more than half way through and decided to do one (with the refrigerator), and just couldn't get it done. After a number of tries I looked online for a tip, and all it said was to evade the attacks. My B button didn't do anything though, so I wasn't sure what was wrong. Turns out that evade (like a quick dodge) and a couple other core powers are unlocked in side missions that don't seem obviously more important than many others. I imagine I could have finished the game without those powers, but I'd advise doing them asap.

I think the game did a great job of giving you interesting powers to juggle, and throwing just enough at you to make fights interesting, but never frustrating. Especially once I got the "optional" powers, combat had a really great flow to it. Towards the end when you're at your peak, it's a real blast to float around, launching large objects, throwing baddies at each other, and select just the right weapon type for the situation. It's some of the more enjoyable combat that I can recall, and it kind of made me wish for some more variety in enemies to test myself against. It certainly makes something like Gears feel very vanilla by comparison.

I enjoyed the story well enough. I think they did a good enough job of allowing you to delve into it as much as you wanted, while still providing sufficient story through voice overs and what not. I do kind of wish there were portable audio recordings a-la Bioshock. I was interested enough to occasionally read some of the collectables, but I skipped reading most of them.

Everything about the game has these caveats, but overall it's a very solid package that I very much enjoyed.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the main story and I enjoyed this game a lot. One of the rare games these days that marries a weird unconventional yet engaging narrative with engaging gameplay. I'm gonna go back and explore and do some side missions that I may have missed but I love remedy's games. I enjoyed this game more than Quantum Break for sure from a story and gameplay perspective. Looking forward to the DLC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Confirmed the AWE DLC will focus a lot on Alan Wake and its ending:

https://www.ign.com/articles/control-awe-dlc-alan-wake

I gotta admit I'm pretty hype for that after the cliffhanger ending of the Alan Wake DLC.

Ooooohhhh - now that's an incentive to use my $10 EGS coupon on the Season Pass for the game!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't remember seeing any impressions on this game on here. It kinda flew under the radar imo. 

Anyone here play and beat it? Worth playing? I just finished TLOU2 and then followed that up with God's of War. My expectations are high, lol. 

I just want a quality game to get me to Ghost next Friday.

It's really good.  It's a highly atmospheric and very tight third-person shooter in the vein of Remedy's other games (Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break).  It's potentially Remedy's best game, though I might ultimately give that to Max Payne 2 or Alan Wake.

It has light metroidvania elements, and sees you exploring a vast, surreal government building that houses the government's supernatural investigations and experiments.  Think a supernatural Max Payne mixed with the X-Files & Twin Peaks.  It's catnip for a whole lot of people, including myself.  Probably GOTY for me last year along with Outer Wilds.

it was my game of the year as well. I haven't played the DLC yet. Great game that does weirdness right and it's pretty gorgeous. It does slow down somewhat on the X1X so i have no idea how it runs on base consoles.

1 minute ago, Dre801 said:

I've had a copy for months unopened.  By the time I play it, it will either be on Game Pass or Steam, lol.   I've heard it's better than Quantum Break, their  last game.

It is.