Control | Official Thread of Oldest House of Pain, update: Remedy/505 announce 4-player PvE co-op spin-off and "bigger budget" game set in Control universe

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Interested to hear @SFLUFAN's thoughts about Quantum Break.  I just finished it over the weekend, and while it's certainly not a great game, I nevertheless enjoyed my time with it.  Not sure if this makes sense, but it's decidedly not more than the sum of it's parts, it's exactly the sum of its parts.  The gameplay is probably the weakest that it's been in a Remedy game to date, and the story has some interesting turns but overall is absolute bargain-bin Syfy-channel pulp.  That said, I still enjoyed it for what it is, and the television portions were much more competent than I initially expected.  It's a unique Frankenstein's monster of a format that will likely never be replicated, but I found it fascinating and easy to consume.

I'm extremely excited for Control though.  Remedy makes very unique games, and even though all of them are flawed in some capacity, they have a strange alchemy that's rare in the industry.

I've taken a break from Quantum Break to play the recent Darksiders III DLC (which was pretty damned mediocre), but I fully intend to get back into it in the coming days.

So far, I'll say that my opinion definitely mirrors what you wrote.  Everything about Quantum Break is "fine" and "competent" -- there's no single aspect that stands out for either good or ill -- and I'm not sure that's necessarily a compliment because it seems that Remedy took no real "risks" with the game (except for the surprisingly decent live-action component, I suppose).  I'm pretty sure that when all is said and done, it will be a game that I'll say "Well, that was moderately enjoyable" and then completely forget about everything that happened as the end credits are rolling.  That will be in sharp contrast to both Max Payne games that I still remember to this day.

If anything, my experience so far with Quantum Break has made it far easier to wait for when Control finally releases for the PC in August 2020!

It apparently doesn't have difficulty settings nor a NG+ mode nor online play. I'm definitely not a quantity over quality guy but that's kind of slim assuming the difficulty can't be all that high to begin with if everyone's expected to play on that and they're not From. 

Granted, I'm not very interested to begin with but still, a 10 hour game should provide some replay value in my book. 

Game Information

Game Title: Control

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Aug 26, 2019)
  • Xbox One (Aug 26, 2019)
  • PC (Aug 26, 2019)

Developer: Remedy Entertainment

Publisher: 505 Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 84 average - 90% recommended

Critic Reviews

MonsterVine - 5 / 5

Control is easily one of the best games of the year and has one of the most fascinating worlds I've experienced in a game in years.

EGM - 10 / 10

Control is Remedy at the height of its abilities. Finally, the studio's expert handling of tone and story is met with gameplay that's just as engaging and refined. As an experiment in nonlinear world design, Control doesn't just stick with tried-and-true waypoints and forests. Its Oldest House is a brutalist masterpiece, and the characters inhabiting it are just as unforgettable. All told, it's going to be one of the most memorable games of the year.

Stevivor - 10 / 10

Control shows not only Remedy’s growth as a studio, but studio head Sam Lake’s as a writer, building and greatly expanding upon concepts started in Alan Wake and flirted with in Quantum Break.

Wolf's Gaming Blog - 5 / 5

Control is truly brilliant, a bona fide contender for the Game of the Year crown. It boasts great performances, a strong story, a detailed and intriguing world and superb gameplay. It has issues, and the narrative’s vagueness might irritate as many people as it impresses, but ultimately a review is all about a personal experience and I utterly adored and loved every damn minute of Control. Right now it is my game of the year. Whether it can stay there given the quality of the game’s to come in 2019 remains to be seen, but you need to play this one.

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

Fans of single player games who love shows like X-files, Twin Peaks, and the sort,this is a must play. It’s refreshing to get a superbly crafted, story driven game, with no multiplayer and no micro transactions in today’s market. Fans of the genre need to have Control in their sights and I truly hope Remedy has a bonafide success on their hands. Control is one of the weirdest, fascinating, and most intriguing games I’ve ever played, a wild ride for sure. I’ll be there for the future DLC and a sequel if one ever comes.

Spiel Times - 10 / 10

If players give it time, and accept it on its own terms, they’ll find a masterpiece of third person action, physics-based chaos, and bravura visual design lurking under this thick slab of untreated concrete. This isn’t just Remedy’s best game since Max Payne 2. It’s the best game the studio has ever made.

Just Push Start - 9.8 / 10

One of the struggles with Control is how to rate it. As amazing that so much of the experience is, more intense fights result in performance issues. And I had more issues figuring out where to go than people did with The Surge, yet I still walked away amazed. Having done hundreds of these reviews for Just Push Start, this is easily one of my favorite experiences and one I still strongly suggest to anyone looking for a unique experience or seeing just how interesting a shooter can be. Sure, it’s not perfect and it absolutely won’t appeal to everyone, but I wouldn’t let these things stop you if you’re remotely interested in what you saw going into Control.

Nexus - 9.7 / 10

The wide assortment of abilities at your disposal, coupled with immersive gameplay and truly palpable, often bone-chilling atmosphere, easily make it one of Remedy's most refined and masterfully crafted works to date.

Press Start - 9.5 / 10

Control is a slick and stylish win for Remedy, their best work yet. With strong combat, an engaging story and striking visuals, Control is a masterclass in both style and substance. It's abstract, it's bold, and it's wicked fun.

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Control manages to take the awesome cutscenes we see in other games and makes them playable. A bizarre adventure with rewarding power fantasy, this is the culmination of all previous Remedy games. Part exploration game, and part sci-fi shooter, Control blends a tight narrative, stunning graphics with RTX-powered lighting, and a hub-based world to create something entirely new and absolutely gorgeous.

ZTGD - 9.5 / 10

Just know that Control is one of the best games of 2019, and if you like weird games, third person shooters, exploration, 3D platforming, or just Remedy, you need to pick this game up.

Bazimag - Persian - 9.5 / 10

Control is the result that Remedy wanted to achieve with Quantum Break. I've played the game for more than 10 hours and I can say that Control includes the best ideas from the previous games of Remedy. All this said, Control has managed to create a strange yet believable world and as a result is a particular game with its own originality and identity. I easily say that it's almost impossible to see a game like Control in the near future. No matter how much I explain the world of Control, it's not enough. Control is the best work of Remedy in recent years and fans of story focused games can enjoy it a lot.

GamePitt - 9.5 / 10

Control is easily one of the most enjoyable and technologically advanced games I’ve played this year. Although Jesse may only have one thing in mind, find her brother and get out of there alive, upon being appointed the new director of The Oldest House, things change. Not only have you now been appointed with the responsibility of all of the employees who haven’t succumb to the Hiss, but you must also find the source of this evil and stop it with all of your might – something you never thought you’d be tasked with when you woke up this morning. Using multiple powers, upgraded weaponry and abilities, and the help of loyal NPCs, you must take control of your destiny and show these evil intruders that they’re fired!

Digital Chumps - 9.5 / 10

Flaws and shortcomings in Control are utterly few and far between, while the gameplay is highly satisfying and fun. The world Remedy created is full of intrigue from the get-go and stays enthralling throughout. Barring any major surprises, Control is my personal game of the year for 2019.

AusGamers - 9.4 / 10

Control has flaws, but even these give it character. And don’t detract from the overall enjoyment. A brilliant slice of interactive sci-fi and action in a world where we're not only likely to remember for years to come. But, ponder its meaning too.

PowerUp! - 9.4 / 10

It's impeccably designed, masterfully executed and an absolute must-play.

Video Chums - 9.3 / 10

Control is truly unforgettable with loads of ways to play, terrific acting, lots to explore, satisfying gunplay and abilities, and a spectacular world and story to experience.

GameCrate - 9.3 / 10

Control is Remedy's best game in nearly twenty years, and easily one of the best games of 2019.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.3 / 10

Remedy outdid itself by creating an impeccable narrative experience so intimately interconnected with a bewitching setting, raising the bar for anyone who wants to break into the action adventure genre.

Remote Play - 9.3 / 10

“Control inherits that Playstation DNA akin to Sony’s very own 1st party studios. Stylish presentation, an emphasis on story telling, world building galore, and fidelity to melt your eyes”

Cerealkillerz - German - 9.3 / 10

Control is definitely the best game of 2019 so far. It is very rare that a Game combines such innovative ideas and gameplay elements with an incredibly interesting setting. If you haven't had the newest project of Remedy Entertainment on your radar you should change that as fast as possible.

Glitched Africa - 9.2 / 10

In the end, Control delivers a brilliant story that kept me on the edge of my seat for roughly 20 hours. The story pacing is simply fantastic and for every bit of combat and puzzle-solving, there are new mysteries to uncover through environmental storytelling and collectables. Combined with the fantastic story is the combat and movement that feel so incredibly smooth and responsive, making it a near-perfect all-around experience that looks and feels great.

Gamerheadquarters - 9.2 / 10

Control is another amazing title from Remedy, its wild to witness and a ton of fun to play.

Electric Bento - 9.1 / 10

Control from Remedy Entertainment is a trippy journey that explores paranormal themes, while grounding it in the search for Jesse's brother.

Rectify Gaming - 9 / 10

Control represents the best of Remedy's past while pushing their blend of great action and storytelling to new heights.

Slant Magazine - 4.5 / 5 stars

With its everything-but-the-kitchen-sink imagination, Control is as much a thrilling paean to human curiosity as it is a warning of its numerous casualties.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Control is so good that even when faced with such annoyances you just jump right back in. It’s like a Remedy greatest hits compilation, taking the best bits from all of the studio’s previous titles while adding a Metroidvania spin, and it really works.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

Control is a weird, enigmatic, perplexing masterpiece. It's also Remedy's most well-rounded work yet. Like Jesse levitating far off the ground, Control signifies Remedy is capable of ascending to great new heights.

Easy Allies - 9 / 10

Control blends storytelling and action as you try to unravel the mysteries of a paranormal agency in crisis.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Control is one of the best story-focused single player games in years. Its unique mix of surrealism, sci-fi and mystery draws you in, but doesn't give everything away, and the combat is fantastically varied and provides just enough challenge. A culmination of everything that went before, Control is Remedy's magnum opus.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

The perfect blend of narrative and gameplay, coherency and strangeness, Control is a game we'll be talking about for generations.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

A gripping descent into something between alternate history and fever dream, realised beautifully in audiovisual flair, and lacking just slightly in the combat itself.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Control is a worthwhile heir to Remedy's past while forging a bright vision for the future.

PCWorld - 4.5 / 5 stars

Control is the culmination of Remedy's entire oeuvre to-date, pairing a top-tier action game with a dizzyingly dense and layered story about the Federal Bureau of Control, and the everyday horrors within. It's so good, you might even stop asking for Alan Wake 2.

Game Revolution - 4.5 / 5 stars

From its narrative to its world to its puzzles and combat, Control intrigues its players and invites them to think and rewards them handily for doing so; a true remedy for overly linear and coddling game design.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Control is absolutely insane! From its crazy and surreal concepts, fast-paced and visceral gameplay, to its gorgeous visuals, Remedy went all out with something so incredible that transcends the medium and can only be done in a video game.

Next Gen Base - 9 / 10

Control has some very clear threads going back to Quantum Break, but it’s a game that far surpasses Remedy’s predecessor in many ways. A weird, creepy and wonderful exploration of an environment that has been meticulously crafted, it’s a must-play. Plenty of collectibles and side missions should keep you hooked for long after the final credits roll, and I really hope that this brings Remedy the commercial success that it so obviously deserves.

MSPoweruser - 9 / 10

Control is one of Remedy’s Entertainment’s most inventive and captivating titles yet. For those still bummed out over the disappointing Quantum Break, Remedy has done well to improve on everything that upset players before. There’s more of everything: combat, content, style and story. This is the proud return of Remedy: distanced from the cold grasp of television, this is a full, lengthy title that always entertains.This is one of Remedy’s best.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5 stars

For the most part, Control is a resounding success.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9 / 10

If Remedy decides to leave the history of the Bureau "in isolation", or expand it in the future, we still cannot know it: the hope, of course, is that the Old House represents only a first step in this strange, crazy and beautiful universe.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10 stars

Control is undoubtedly Remedy's biggest and weirdest game yet. In many ways, it's also their best, all while it paves the way for a Marvel-like connected universe.

TechRaptor - 9 / 10

Control combines a fantastically weird setting with fast paced combat, awesome exploration, and impressively destructible environments. It's an absolute gem of a game. Just make sure you get it on PC or an upgraded console.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

Control is a marvel both story-wise and technologically, with its extensive use of ray tracing technology. Although the gameplay has a few quirks, it's easily one of the best action games to release this year.

Star News - 4.5 / 5

Control is the culmination of nearly two decades of Remedy's work in the third-person action-adventure genre and it's a pedigree that shows. Firing enemies through barriers to take out their friends is ridiculously fun, start to finish.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Control offers over-the-top action, a bizarre but interesting story, and a focus on fun over realism that helps solidify it as one of the year's best.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Remedy Entertainment is a studio with a storied history, so to say that they're at their absolute best here is no slight praise, and it's not praise that's easily given- but Control is just that good. Whether it's a story you're looking for, or engaging gameplay with mechanical depth, Control has more than enough up its sleeve to keep you rigorously engaged from start to finish.

Gamers Heroes - 9 / 10

Control is a treasure trove of storytelling that is supported by great dialogue, intriguing characters, and stellar voice acting. When paired with its badass combat, it proves to be the complete package.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9 / 10

The playable ambition of Control is noted from the level design itself, and goes a step further in issues of variety of situations and character progression. In short, it is much less limited in terms of playable possibilities and that is appreciated. Without a doubt, it is one of the best action games of the final stretch of the year.

NoobFeed - 90 / 100

In the world of Control, the supernatural is very real and the government knows about it. In this Metroidvania style adventure, you must prevent a global disaster after having being placed in a precarious situation. Taking on the role of Director of the Federal Bureau of Control protagonist Jesse Faden must slowly claw her way through hostile forces, gain new powers, and attempt to stop the supernatural force called the Hiss. Despite some issues, such as audio errors and bullet sponge enemies, Control constantly entices the player with new discoveries. It carries the same tones found in other Remedy Entertainment games while establishing its own identity as a great new IP.

Level Down Games - 9 / 10

I like Control. No. I really like Control. The fact that the game doesn’t explicitly hold your hand and guide you on where to go and instead relies on your innate nature to want to explore was a perfect design choice. Backtracking to find secret rooms, hidden items, and unexplored areas was rewarding 90% of the time and oftentimes even added additional layers and craziness onto the already action-packed story that was being presented. For the most part, it all felt right and satisfying. If Remedy can clean up some of the issues with the frames dropping from time to time, I really think this is going to be the one for them that is received universally well by critics and fans alike.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 4.5 / 5

Action-Adventure fans will be enjoying one of the best games of this year, Control gameplay is both unique and fun, with deep and immersive storytelling

Luis Alamilla - 9 / 10

Control weaves together in an interesting story within one of the most fascinating settings I’ve experienced in gaming this year. Having these psychic powers to take on enemies while firing an array of bullets is combat galore at its finest, even with the little variations in enemies. The performance could be better on console but not enough to ruin what is otherwise a fantastic adventure to go on.

Gamefa - Persian - 9 / 10

Control is a unique game and probably the best game Remedy Entertainment ever created. The weird and mysterious story of the game along with believable and interesting characters are very good stimuli to continue the game and discover its secrets. The gameplay mechanics like throwing objects are very well made and feels good to use. The game also offers a very good visual experience both artistically and technically but it has serious performance problems on the base version of PS4 and Xbox One. At all, Control is a well-made game that offers an interesting experience. If you like Action-Adventure games with amazing story-telling and entertaining gameplay, Control is one of the best options you have in this generation.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

One could easily make the argument that Control could very well be Remedy's magnum opus.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

Despite it's technical issues, Control is an impressive adventure that marks the return of one of the most beloved Studios. Great game.

COGconnected - 89 / 100

Even with its imperfections, the incredible design, storytelling, and gameplay chops on display boil down to this: Control is the best game Remedy has made, and it’s one of the most unique narrative action games out there.

PC Gamer - 88 / 100

Control's thin protagonist and abrupt ending are propped up by an abundance of mystery, wonder, and glorious room-destroying combat.

Heavy - 8.8 / 10

Control is a pretty impressive third-person action romp that’s held up by a far-out story, strong visuals/audio, and a reliance on telekinetic powers that make combat and exploration all the more interesting.

IGN - 8.8 / 10

Control is set in an engrossingly weird paranormal world that I couldn’t help but explore.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

Control's intense firefights are fun, but they don't evolve much in the second half. Fortunately, its unsettling mood and explosive moments more than balance the scales

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Control is really one of the best titles of the year, one of the most convincing and interesting fiction experiments.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

There are small edges that could be polished, such as the low number of enemies, certain lows in the rhythm of the game and some pulls in the rate of images per second, but it is the least when it comes to facing this adventure.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8.6 / 10

Control takes us right the other side of that door you do not remember having unlocked, to the middle of the that dark hall that you started crossing while thinking that there's nothing hiding in the dark, specially not behind you. The dark tone and creepy setting of the Oldest House remains all through your adventure and even though you'll eventually get enough powers to kick around any enemy you find, you'll never get to chase away that feeling that something is not right. Control is a reminder that Remedy is still a developing powerhouse.

Noisy Pixel - 8.5 / 10

Control stretches the imagination of reality and takes the player on an unexpected journey. The developers took a huge chance on their approach to storytelling and their ability to navigate players through new and unique systems and it pays off.

Xbox Achievements - 85 / 100

Control is another absolute hit from Remedy, one that delivers from both a gameplay and narrative perspective. One of the generation's most intriguing game worlds and almost perfect pacing, the only thing that holds Control back from being an all-time classic is its unfortunate and frustrating technical issues.

Critical Hit - 8.5 / 10

Control is an intriguing, fascinating experience. The third-person action, while slick and elegant, is perhaps a little pedestrian - but the completely bonkers story and the rewarding sense of exploration and discovery help cement Control as one of Remedy's best games.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Despite its confusing story, Control is a great action adventure game with a varied gameplay. The idea of a weapon being used for all functions, combined with all of Jesse's psychic powers, makes combat work very well. The simplified "metroidvania" style is also very good, making Control to be not so linear.

Geek Culture - 8.5 / 10

Control draws you in with its wonderfully crafted world, and never unhooks its claws of fun combat and a tremendous Metroidvania experience.

Fextralife - 8.5 / 10

Fast-paced action tied in with an intriguing story about a secret organisation which you will need to explore and discover it's hidden secrets. Visually detailed with polished fun gameplay, combining telekinetic powers with shooter combat. A playthrough could take 10 to 15 hours or more depending on the level detail you pay. A full thumbs up for this one.

PushStartPlay - 8.5 / 10

Control is most certainly a game worthy of your time and I doubt that you'll play a better thriller shrouded by mystery this year.

CGMagazine - 8.5 / 10

Control combines the best elements of Remedy's third-person pedigree with a well-realized open world that any sci-fan will enjoy.

Explosion Network - 8.5 / 10

I dove into its world headfirst and came out soaking in an urge to watch The X-Files. Control is my kinda sci-fi trip and easily one of the year's best games.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Remedy returns to the glories of the past with a beautiful science fiction adventure in paranormal salsa.

VGN - Italian - 8.5 / 10

After the disappointing Quantum Break, Remedy Entertainment is back with a huge thriller adventure metroidvania elements and supernatural powers. You don't wanna miss this!

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.5 / 10

Control is Remedy's most ambitious game in recent years. The storytelling is as attractive as usual, and other parts of the game such as combat, exploring, collecting, and skills are much improved compared with Quantum Break.

3DNews - Russian - 8.5 / 10

Control feels like a blend of Max Payne, Psi-Ops and F.E.A.R. told by David Lynch.

BaziCenter - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Many believe that Max Payne is the best game ever by Remedy, and they might be right, but Control is not far behind. If you are a fan of action genre, you should play Control. Period.

GearNuke - 8.5 / 10

Control is a fascinating insight into what a developer like Remedy Entertainment can pull off based on their experience in creating cinematic story games mixed with action gameplay. It ranks among one of their best works released so far.

Boomstick Gaming - 8.4 / 10

Video Review - Quote not available

Game Volt - Arabic - 8.3 / 10

Control is the culmination of design elements followed by Remedy Studio over many years and offers a lot of developments and revolutionary about their design methods, but the poor presentation of characters and artificial intelligence weak in addition to the narrative method and boring dialogues sometimes do not decrease the experience at all, but the level design also world design and combat as well as the powerful story is enough to consider it a great game and to keep in mind

PlayStation Galaxy - 8.3 / 10

Being a narrative-focused game, there is little incentive to replay the whole game. One complete playthrough is probably enough to get all its money's worth. The endgame provides the player an opportunity to tie up loose ends. It's a proper end to a good story. Interesting note - some hidden locations and costumes for Jesse become available post-game. Never a bad thing, to be honest.

VGProfessional - 8.3 / 10

Control manages to mix Remedy’s classic third-person shooter action formula with trippy Inception-esque reality bending to craft a really intense game. The story might get a little *too* mind-bendy at some points, and the writing leans more towards heavy exposition, but it all comes together amazingly.

New Game Network - 81 / 100

Control offers some of the best combat from Remedy, balancing supernatural abilities with a handy service weapon. Its non-linear twisted levels, populated with varied Hiss enemies, make for an appealing supernatural world. With a better protagonist and some fine-tuning, it could have been truly extraordinary.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

Control is a fun follow-up to the sort of weird surreality from Alan Wake without being a direct story sequel. It has distinctive visuals, a dark sense of humor, lots of fourth-wall breaking, and enjoyable combat. If you're looking for a shooter with its own sense of style and a solid amount of content, look no further than Control. Just don't start getting paranoid about why your controller wasn't where you last saw it....

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Control features Remedy's most original setting yet, the studio's most open-ended game environment yet and great action combat that makes you feel like a badass. The game also stands out on PC as one of the finest examples of real-time ray tracing to date. It shouldn't be passed upon by any action/adventure game fans, even if it's not quite a masterpiece.The links above are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, Wccftech.com may earn from qualifying purchases.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

A different kind of haunted house makes Control hard to resist.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Control is a true Remedy experience, with some nervous and satisfying action, fantastic story and narrative elements, and stimulating exploration... And that very wird touch that makes it unique. And very good.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Control is one of Remedy Entertainment’s greatest achievements. As a shooter, it’s lovingly satisfying to play, as all of its mechanics mesh to create a slick, supernatural explosion of paranormal powers and eclectic gunplay. Combine that with open-ended exploration and the package is nearing excellence. So it’s a shame the narrative can be needlessly muddled, stewing at a slow pace before rocketing towards a conclusion that sadly doesn’t feel earned in the end.

USgamer - 4 / 5 stars

Control continues the basic formula that Remedy Entertainment has been playing with for all these years—third-person action with a hint of unreality—but it feels like the studio has reached its final form.

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

Control interweaves a superlative environment with brilliant combat and stellar map design. I just wish that the enemies were more varied at times and the story was a bit more compelling, but that doesn’t make the game bad at all. Control is a wonderful experience that any Remedy fan or supernatural connoisseur would enjoy.

Gaming LYF - 4 / 5 stars

Control is a fantastic game that comes so close to being an absolutely incredible one. Providing some of the best gameplay Remedy have created since Max Payne, it's an undoubtedly fun game with an intriguing story. Some areas such as the weapon and environment variety only slightly negatively impact what's an otherwise brilliant title.

GotGame - 8 / 10

If you like weird and supernatural games, this one is worth picking up. If you prefer a game with less thought and more action, then it might not be your cup of tea. Even so, there's plenty of intense action in Control.

WellPlayed - 8 / 10

Control's unique multi-dimensional setting and quirky sci-fi tone make for a good time, even when the combat doesn't quite rise to the same level

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Despite some iffy performance issues and some very frustrating narrative choices, Control's compelling gameplay, excellent combat and dedication to the bizarre make it an easy game to recommend

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

Control is Remedy at its best: pulpy, weird, and immensely satisfying to play. Its setting is a potent concoction of '60s brutalist style and wacky sci-fi. Performance issues hamper the shootouts, and the characters are a little cold, but it's the setting and atmosphere that win the day.

Cubed3 - 8 / 10

Control is in turns silly, satirical and solemn, combining an underlying existential dread with a triumph through heroism in a way that no other superhuman tale ever has.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

The flawed storytelling squanders its full potential but even with a few missteps this is still one of the most enjoyable action games of the year.

Rapid Reviews UK - 4 / 5 stars

After releasing ‘Quantum Break’ exclusively on Microsoft platforms, developer Remedy is back with their third-person action-adventure title, Control. In the game, you play as Jesse Faden, whose search for her missing brother has led to a place known as the Federal Bureau of Control (FBC).

Gameplanet - 8 / 10

Control is a mesmerising dive into the warped world of the supernatural that sets a new high bar for world design alongside its bizarre, yet compelling story, and power fantasy combat.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

There are some games out there, which can only be appreciated when experienced first-hand – and Control is one of these. It has this magical ingredient that makes me want to play it again, even after beating the story. A superb, uncanny atmosphere, a twisted world, and some truly breathtaking set-pieces make this game worth every minute of your time.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Control is definitely Remedy's best game since Alan Wake.  The sheer variety in the gameplay and fantastic presentation go a long way in making this an enjoyable experience.

Thumbsticks - 4 / 5 stars

Control is another Remedy title that shoots for the stars. It might not quite hit in every respect – with a lacklustre third act and some glaring technical issues – but its ambitious scope means what lands does so exceptionally well. The combat is satisfying, the world is overflowing with secrets and the atmosphere is second to none, ensuring Control is yet another stellar addition to Remedy's portfolio.

Bloody Disgusting - 4 / 5 stars

Control consistently delivers the bizarre without trying too hard to be bizarre. It’s a weird, wonderful, and generally fantastic game that’s hampered by an unfortunate technical handicap.

Gamer Escape - 8 / 10

It took me a few (full) days to go through almost all of what Control has to offer. While I can’t deny that the game has some issues, I did largely enjoy my time with Control and found myself heavily invested in this strange world.

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars

Superpowered government agents fight interdimensional invaders in this bizarre but utterly compelling sci-fi blockbuster

Shacknews - 8 / 10

It's fast-paced, fun, and pretty damn freaky — all the right elements of a perfect sci-fi thriller.

SomHráč.sk - Czech - 80 / 100

Control is an unique title whose highs are game of the year worthy, but the whole package is spoiled by unnecessary flaws. However, The Oldest House remains worthy of a visit.

GamePro - German - 79 / 100

Control thrills with action-packed battles and a mystical setting, but stumbles over his high ambitions.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 7.9 / 10

Control is a game with a superb pulp sci fi plot, that could have been a masterpiece thanks to it's level design. Unfortunately some very bad design decisions drags the game to the "interesting but flawed" territory.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 78 / 100

Control is a interesting experience with the story about other dimensions and supernatural things. But it also fails on that feeling of accomplishment and progression.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 78 / 100

An adventure with some of the best Remedy qualities, with some ingredients that may appeal to the fans of supernatural games. On the other side, the exploration is unnecessarily frustrating and the graphical department feels as a mixed bag.

Marooners' Rock - 7.6 / 10

Ultimately, Control is a really cool experience even with all of the flaws.

Handsome Phantom - 7.5 / 10

Overall, Control has severe highs and lows. The mix of shooting and power based combat feels great, and features a robust system of mods and upgrades that allow you to customize to how you prefer to play. Additionally, The Oldest House is a unique environment, and is at the core of what makes the premise of the game so intriguing. Unfortunately, it gets in its own way by gating off so much of the details and lore through countless documents and audio logs that break the flow of the game. With an ending that leaves many questions unanswered and plot points unresolved, it leaves players unsatisfied and wondering "is that it?"

DualShockers - 7.5 / 10

Remedy Entertainment's latest game, Control, continues to embrace the weirdness that has permeated in the studio's past titles but fails to excel in any one area.

GameZone - 7.5 / 10

While Control doesn't exactly stick the landing on its ambitious mind-bending sci-fi story, there's still plenty to enjoy. Remedy creates one of the most well-developed worlds ever crafted for a video game and takes the opportunity to learn from their past and craft their most well-rounded gameplay experience to date.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

Control offers interesting "lynchian" story, mysterious setting, and a lot of secrets to discover. It's a shame the game istn't optimized a bit better.

PlayStation Universe - 7 / 10

Remedy's Control might eventually be one of the coolest games on the market, but upon release framerate, balance, and popup issues are so rampant that players are forced to change their style of play to work around the bugs. While Control's world-building, performances, and writing are all superb, the difficulties in actually playing through the game to see all that cool stuff leads to a deep sense of frustration.

Windows Central - 3.5 / 5 stars

Though it has an excellent foundation, Control never truly achieves greatness. It's a solid game, but not a title that will wow most players.

Push Square - 7 / 10

There's no doubting that Control is a good experience, but it's not one that'll go down in the history books. Its explorative and combat-focused gameplay is a major highlight thanks to abilities that give you the chance to get creative, but the unreliable framerate that goes with it puts a stop to the enjoyment far too frequently. This is most definitely worth playing, but that's about as far as any substantial praise can go.

Twinfinite - 3.5 / 5

In spite of itself Control still winds up being an enjoyable unique feeling action game that isn’t like anything else on the market right now, and won’t take up a ton of your time.

The Digital Fix - 7 / 10

While some technical issues plague this highly atmospheric action adventure, Control has a highly customizable combat system that is fun and addictive to play.

Areajugones - Spanish - 7 / 10

It is still a very enjoyable game for its action gameplay and powerful visual and artistic aspect, but it is inevitable that it leaves a bitter taste to come from a studio like Remedy Entertainment, which I did not expect to neglect such elementary aspects in the narrative

TrueGaming - Arabic - 7 / 10

Perhaps Control was promising at first glance, but the end result is somewhat disappointing. It gives us a good gameplay and compelling graphics. However, its content is pretty lacking.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7 / 10

Control is another game from Remedy that does exactly what you'd expect from Remedy. It's a little off-kilter, but thoughtful and meticulously written. It's a little janky (sometimes a lot janky), but its mechanics amount to solid junk food when everything is functioning as intended. Control is definitely a step back into "AA" territory after the big ambitions that powered Quantum Break, but frankly this is exactly the sort of space Remedy excels in. While it can be rough at times, Control is like a paperback novel you pick up to kill some time, then unexpectedly find a lot of intrigue and charm.

Pardis Game - Persian - 7 / 10

Control is a good action game which can deliver some exciting moments with its engaging combat system. Jesse abilities and the way she can interact with the environment by being able to get hold of EVERY object and throw them at her enemies is magnificent. Apart from that, the visuals and the fact that verything can be completely destructed by players are also astonishing. However, the dull empty open world of Control with its boring side missions and activities along the shallow story and poor character processing make this game a forgettable experience

The Angry Joe Show - 7 / 10

MMoinGame - Spanish - 6.5 / 10

Control is flagging in many ways and has a history that you can't let yourself be loved. But it's not a bad game.

GameMAG - Russian - 6 / 10

Of course, the Finnish company created its new product in a serious economy, trying to cram a huge idea into a modest budget. As a result, we got an atmospheric and confusing story with a disappointing ending, boring locations with beautiful destruction and the main character with a bunch of abilities created just for the show. Perhaps by reducing the size of the game world and better repacking the story they could achieve very different and more positive results. Fans of the genre of third-person shooters can try, but it is better to do it on sale.

We Got This Covered - 2 / 5 stars

Thanks to poor "bigger is better" design choices, technical gaffes, obtuse exploration, a bromidic narrative, and zero atmosphere, Control is soul-crushingly disappointing, and a mere shadow of the studio's far superior Alan Wake.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Giddy action and astonishing art design combine in one of the great locations of modern video games.

Polygon - Unscored

Behold, one of 2019’s best and weirdest games.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

I can’t overstate the fact that it’s a funny game – funny enough that the humour keeps you going from fight to fight, searching not for the source of your mysterious enemy, or for the answer to all the sub-mysteries surrounding Jesse, but for the next episode of the Threshold Kids.

Skill Up - Unscored

ACG - Buy

"Fantastic game with heavy world lore and unique story beats even if the combat never elevates to the level of excellent."

pressakey.com - German - Liked-a-lot

Not much expected and completely enthusiastic: That's what you want! Control pushes the right buttons for me and constantly provides me with great rewards. If you liked the mood of Max Payne 2 or Quantum Break, you're guaranteed to have fun with it. I'm glad that the developers give the setting and the universe they created plenty of air to breathe. So you can give in to the crazy world and celebrate the abstruse.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

Combing the best parts of Alan Wake and Quantum Break, Control is Remedy at the top of their game. Unique, challenging and engaging gameplay mixed with a  story like no other makes this a must play for action fans everywhere.

Expansive - Loved

One of the best games I’ve played this year. Control might just be Remedy’s best work yet. It’s a confident game with plenty of things to keep you interested and invested. You’ll want to peel back and explore every corner of Control’s world. You’ll be desperate to learn what secrets Jesse is keeping, how her relationships evolve with the subcast and acquire each new ability which opens up the game in an even more exciting way.

If Control is giving us a glimpse into storytelling for the next generation, we have every reason to be excited.