Control | Official Thread of Oldest House of Pain, update: Remedy/505 announce 4-player PvE co-op spin-off and "bigger budget" game set in Control universe

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm still very excited for this game. I mean, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Alan Wake. Great games, and demo impressions are positive. If you like Remedy games, I'm more sure than not that you'll like this one. If you don't like Remedy games, don't expect this to not be a Remedy game. 

Oh, I will be posting some thoughts about Quantum Break when I'm done with it in the next week or so (about 45% complete now).

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

Oh, I will be posting some thoughts about Quantum Break when I'm done with it in the next week or so (about 45% complete now).

Yes please do so! 

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Eh, who cares? If @Greatoneshere didn't mention it then it is garbage.

I'm like 55% convinced Quantum Break is garbage but I also understand that is like 70% MIcrosoft's fault, not Remedy's. Hence why I didn't count it and why I didn't play it. I hate studio (or publisher) interference. :p 

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm like 55% convinced Quantum Break is garbage but I also understand that is like 70% MIcrosoft's fault, not Remedy's. Hence why I didn't count it and why I didn't play it. I hate studio (or publisher) interference. :p 

I'm gonna lay the lion's share of the "blame" on Remedy in my write-up because the content definitely reflects the natural evolution of where the studio wanted to go post-Alan Wake.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the game wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for Microsoft. As I recall Alan Wake didn't do so well so with Microsoft publishing they could go more into the tv thing they wanted which also matched up with the TV thing Microsoft was trying to do.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the game wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for Microsoft. As I recall Alan Wake didn't do so well so with Microsoft publishing they could go more into the tv thing they wanted which also matched up with the TV thing Microsoft was trying to do.

Eggzactly!

9 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm gonna lay the lion's share of the "blame" on Remedy in my write-up because the content definitely reflects the natural evolution of where the studio wanted to go post-Alan Wake.

Interesting! I look forward to your write-up. :)

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I will agree that the TV-tie in thing was a Remedy thing and that was a big mistake. Should have just tried to make a good game. 

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I liked the TV thing 🤷🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I actually sat and watched each episode in their entirety.  Didn't hate them.  The game was Ok.

Which is totally fine, but it's not a good way to sell your game to require so much time commitment across multiple media.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Which is totally fine, but it's not a good way to sell your game to require so much time commitment across multiple media.

Why not? I found it to be a fun alternative form of story telling. Do I want every game to do that? Hell no. Would I mind if someone kept exploring blurring the lines? Absolutely. 

Just now, Mercury33 said:

Music, Story, Atmosphere were all great

They were fine. Any attempt at atmosphere and story were ruined when they named their insomniac A Wake. If they’re not gonna take it seriously neither will I :p

The less we talk about the gameplay, the better. 

14 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Why not? I found it to be a fun alternative form of story telling. Do I want every game to do that? Hell no. Would I mind if someone kept exploring blurring the lines? Absolutely. 

Because most people don't have time for that kind of time commitment. I mean, the game didn't sell well, so that's been borne out (for a number of reasons, this being one of them). 

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

They were fine. Any attempt at atmosphere and story were ruined when they named their insomniac A Wake. If they’re not gonna take it seriously neither will I :p

I haven't played the game in ages, but I really enjoyed Alan Wake (and its DLC, which was necessary). Was it a perfect game? No, but it was trying a lot of different and interesting things at a time when games weren't doing what it was doing, so it's unique in that way and I appreciated it on that level at least. 

11 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Having recently attempted to replay it, the gameplay is even shittier than I remembered it and it didn't even leave a good impression when I did like the game initially. It's almost baffling this followed Max Payne which still has great gameplay in my opinion. I keep thinking of Remedy as a cool dev because of Max Payne 1 and 2's gameplay and then realize that was it. 

The action in that mission looked a bit rough. Maybe it feels better to play, but I didn't get a clear sense of how effective the weapons are vs your powers. Also, a times it was really dark and hard to tell what was happening, or where the enemies were.

It's easy to get lost in the surreal horror-themed beauty Control offers (PC Invasion)

Control rolls together everything you’d expect from a Remedy Entertainment-developed surreal action game. After playing a non-final build demo, I can positively say that it delivers plenty of strangeness with challenging action and mind-bending graphics on PCs that have RTX-capable graphics cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Remedy reduces PC system requirements in a BIG way.

In the previous specs, Remedy said gamers would need a GeForce RTX 1080 Ti or AMD Radeon VII or better as "recommended" specs, alongside an Intel Core i5-8600K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. The new system requiremetns see the CPUs bumped down to the Core i5-7600K and Ryzen 5 1600X, while the GPUs get knocked down severely to a GTX 1060/1660 or RX 580.

Interested to hear @SFLUFAN's thoughts about Quantum Break.  I just finished it over the weekend, and while it's certainly not a great game, I nevertheless enjoyed my time with it.  Not sure if this makes sense, but it's decidedly not more than the sum of it's parts, it's exactly the sum of its parts.  The gameplay is probably the weakest that it's been in a Remedy game to date, and the story has some interesting turns but overall is absolute bargain-bin Syfy-channel pulp.  That said, I still enjoyed it for what it is, and the television portions were much more competent than I initially expected.  It's a unique Frankenstein's monster of a format that will likely never be replicated, but I found it fascinating and easy to consume.

I'm extremely excited for Control though.  Remedy makes very unique games, and even though all of them are flawed in some capacity, they have a strange alchemy that's rare in the industry.

24 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Interested to hear @SFLUFAN's thoughts about Quantum Break.  I just finished it over the weekend, and while it's certainly not a great game, I nevertheless enjoyed my time with it.  Not sure if this makes sense, but it's decidedly not more than the sum of it's parts, it's exactly the sum of its parts.  The gameplay is probably the weakest that it's been in a Remedy game to date, and the story has some interesting turns but overall is absolute bargain-bin Syfy-channel pulp.  That said, I still enjoyed it for what it is, and the television portions were much more competent than I initially expected.  It's a unique Frankenstein's monster of a format that will likely never be replicated, but I found it fascinating and easy to consume.

I'm extremely excited for Control though.  Remedy makes very unique games, and even though all of them are flawed in some capacity, they have a strange alchemy that's rare in the industry.

I enjoyed QB for what it was as well. I think my main issues were just two things: the final boss fight was awful, like, AWFUL... and you never got that moment where you felt like an unstoppable beast - every time you got a new power/upgrade there was a new enemy introduced that counters said ability.

QB was Remedy's attempt to be a AAA developer. It didn't pan out for them. QB was fun but nothing special. The fact is Remedy are a quirky, campy B tier developer that just so happen to make some curiously enjoyable titles. I'll always be there day one, just to see what they put together this time! Keep doing what you do folks! :hug:

40 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

QB was Remedy's attempt to be a AAA developer. It didn't pan out for them. QB was fun but nothing special. The fact is Remedy are a quirky, campy B tier developer that just so happen to make some curiously enjoyable titles. I'll always be there day one, just to see what they put together this time! Keep doing what you do folks! :hug:

Max Payne 2 was AAA. Change my mind. :talkhand: