Control | Official Thread of Oldest House of Pain, update: Remedy/505 announce 4-player PvE co-op spin-off and "bigger budget" game set in Control universe

Commissar SFLUFAN

Downloaded and played the first 30 minutes. Its definitely a Remedy game! I like it so far, but its hard to tell how well it picks up as the first 30 minutes is obviously an exposition laced serpentine by which you gain context and the basics of the interface. I guess I would say that my orientation at the Bureau of Control was pleasant enough! The controls are good and the the atmosphere is well developed. Its certainly quirky, in an X-files meets Twin Peaks kind of way. The job itself won't start until my actual day job is completed, so I'm off to generate a few contracts, yay. 

33 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Downloaded and played the first 30 minutes. Its definitely a Remedy game! I like it so far, but its hard to tell how well it picks up as the first 30 minutes is obviously an exposition laced serpentine by which you gain context and the basics of the interface. I guess I would say that my orientation at the Bureau of Control was pleasant enough! The controls are good and the the atmosphere is well developed. Its certainly quirky, in an X-files meets Twin Peaks kind of way. The job itself won't start until my actual day job is completed, so I'm off to generate a few contracts, yay. 

Performance?

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Performance?

Weird. The main character seems to move butter smooth even with everything set to max, however (and I assume this is Remedy's AA method) the world tends to ghost as you swing the camera. Those who played Quantum Break will know exactly what I'm talking about. Now please note that I had very limited to time to mess with it this morning so I basically pushed all sliders/option to the right and started playing! :p

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Weird. The main character seems to move butter smooth even with everything set to max, however (and I assume this is Remedy's AA method) the world tends to ghost as you swing the camera. Those who played Quantum Break will know exactly what I'm talking about. Now please note that I had very limited to time to mess with it this morning so I basically pushed all sliders/option to the right and started playing! :p

What resolution are you playing it? Framerate? I'm getting like 20fps at 4k (DLSS, so it limits the rendered res to 1440p for some reason) with RTX on high.

15 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

What resolution are you playing it? Framerate? I'm getting like 20fps at 4k (DLSS, so it limits the rendered res to 1440p for some reason) with RTX on high.

Dx12

output 3840x2160

DLSS (so base render is 1440P)

AA - disabled by DLSS

most settings on high now as the Nvidia guide has convinced me that a few of the ultra settings don't do much. Guide can be found here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/control-graphics-and-performance-guide/

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Dx12

output 3840x2160

DLSS (so base render is 1440P)

AA - disabled by DLSS

most settings on high now as the Nvidia guide has convinced me that a few of the ultra settings don't do much. Guide can be found here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/control-graphics-and-performance-guide/

I updated my 2080 Ti drivers and am getting 45fps now. :p 

dropped DLSS to performance mode and it’s really not too much of a difference visually and am at a solid 60fps :sun: 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-control-console-face-off

Similar to Quantum Break, the vanilla Xbox One uses a base 720p resolution with a temporal accumulation technique that gives the impression of a much cleaner image. Again, like Remedy's previous game, it does tend to lose fidelity in motion, but the overall look is good. The same trick is used on all other versions, just with adjustments to the base resolution. The vanilla PlayStation 4 gets a bump to 900p, rising to 1080p on PlayStation 4 Pro. Perhaps not surprisingly, Xbox One X sits at the top of the pile, with 1440p looking like a fairly close approximation to a 4K image thanks to the temporal super-sampling technique in play. Some aspects of the presentation - like the omni-present film grain - are tied to base resolution, so the progression in resolution across the console stack is fairly easy to notice.

Both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can see prolonged frame-rate drops in sustained combat, dropping all the way down to 10 frames per second at its absolute worst. Perhaps surprisingly, it's the PS4 that drops hardest and longest, making it noticeably the least performant version of the game. It ran so poorly that we ran through a range of checks, from rebooting the console completely to running Control on other PS4 units (the fan kicking in hard on a launch model). Nothing helped - this is how the game actually plays and it's not pretty. Xbox One S is better, there's no doubt about it, but it's still a highly unsatisfactory experience overall - a notch above PS4 in troublesome combat but still a game it's hard to recommend. The bottom line? Xbox One X delivers by far and away the best console experience on all counts, but the PS4 Pro is a decent enough runner-up.

Combine that with the state-of-the-art visuals and the brilliant combat and Control simply has to be played - but it's PC or the enhanced consoles that play the game best. Right now, the base PS4 and Xbox One versions do need work in getting them into shape.

Some of the reviews I had read suggested that they had not been given console versions -- only PC for the review.

Has anybody played this on console?  I bought this digitally on my Xbox One S, but haven't played it yet.  Do you think these frame-rate hiccups are something that can be patched out, or is this just the state of the game for the foreseeable future?  If it's the latter, I might try and refund it and get something else.  It's a huge bummer for me.

9 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Has anybody played this on console?  I bought this digitally on my Xbox One S, but haven't played it yet.  Do you think these frame-rate hiccups are something that can be patched out, or is this just the state of the game for the foreseeable future?  If it's the latter, I might try and refund it and get something else.  It's a huge bummer for me.

I'm playing it on the X1X and it plays fine for me... no hiccups or anything that I've noticed.

I decided to play the game on my Xbox One S regardless of current performance concerns, and I'm glad that I did.  There are absolutely noticeable hitches and glitches (the map often times fails to load properly and FPS definitely diminish during large action scenes), but I can't say that it's significantly affecting my enjoyment of what is an absolute marvel of a game.  Control is basically a convergence of all of Remedy's best ideas, with easily the best gunplay in their entire catalogue.  It's more of a refined iteration rather than a revolution in terms of gameplay, but I would argue that so far this is the best and most interesting story that they've crafted.  As somebody who adores The X-Files, Twin Peaks, and any other number of strange and weird sci-fi universes, this is like catnip for me. 

I can't speak to performance on the base PS4, but honestly the performance has not really been an issue for me on the S.  I'll admit that I'm generally not too concerned about FPS, so I might just be more forgiving, but I don't think it's quite as severe as the DF video suggests, outside of a couple of rare occurrences (the few scenes they highlighted, and some hiccups during pausing and cutscenes aside).  I'm assuming that they'll mostly iron out these things with a patch, so if you're sensitive to these issues and only have a base console like me, it might be best to wait.  Otherwise, I heartily recommend this.

This is a game that for me could have been an easy 9 or 10 but instead it shits itself with some mind boggling ideas. It feels like someone was added to the team 1/2 way thru development that had way to much control ,was at the opposite end of the spectrum and was actively trying to sabotage every good idea.Its so damn video gamey at times.

The story and lore is great and  the little pieces of info you find around the world works well together. Its surreal and twin peaks style gets mauled by the MC's ridiculous inner monologue , its out of whack with the premise and so unnecessary. 

Remedy is at the top when it comes to gun play and you know what this game didnt need ? A million mod drops that are worthless and having to farm in certain areas to get drops.This isnt Destiny or BL, I dont give a shit about a 2% increase in something much less sorting thru a full inventory every few mins to clean it out.No one is doing a "build" in this game.

All the really good encounters are side shit that people can miss and every mandatory one feels like generic filler.

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

This is a game that for me could have been an easy 9 or 10 but instead it shits itself with some mind boggling ideas. It feels like someone was added to the team 1/2 way thru development that had way to much control ,was at the opposite end of the spectrum and was actively trying to sabotage every good idea.Its so damn video gamey at times.

The story and lore is great and  the little pieces of info you find around the world works well together. Its surreal and twin peaks style gets mauled by the MC's ridiculous inner monologue , its out of whack with the premise and so unnecessary. 

Remedy is at the top when it comes to gun play and you know what this game didnt need ? A million mod drops that are worthless and having to farm in certain areas to get drops.This isnt Destiny or BL, I dont give a shit about a 2% increase in something much less sorting thru a full inventory every few mins to clean it out.No one is doing a "build" in this game.

All the really good encounters are side shit that people can miss and every mandatory one feels like generic filler.

You finished it already?

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

I'm early on, but is there any point where it's necessary to grind for xp or modifications?  I don't think the game has required, or even really encouraged any of the mods as far as I've played.  Mostly they are a distraction, and a few of them I tried just because they seemed to encourage a different play style.  They don't really seem necessary, but I haven't found them this intrusive.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You finished it already?

Game is short 

12 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I'm early on, but is there any point where it's necessary to grind for xp or modifications?

There is board missions for mods and materials, that are are just "go to location,kill X". The arent necessary , they dont really do shit for the most part , its just filler crap. They dont add to the game in any meaningful way, it feels like a bullet point.