Sultan Erdogan publicly scolds/snubs Rage Walrus over inexplicable request that Turkey "protect" YPG Kurds in Syria

The White House has confirmed US troops are being withdrawn from Syria, after President Trump said the Islamic State (IS) group had been "defeated" there.

But the partnership between the US and the Kurds has enraged neighbouring Turkey, which views Kurdish YPG forces - the main fighting force in the SDF - as an extension of a banned Kurdish group fighting for autonomy in Turkey.  On Monday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country might soon start a new military operation against the YPG in Syria.

From the Guardian:

Trump’s own national security adviser, John Bolton, is adamantly opposed to the decision, for different reasons. At the UN general assembly in September Bolton declared: “We’re not going to leave as long as Iranian troops are outside Iranian borders and that includes Iranian proxies and militias.” A diplomatic source described him as “livid” about the president’s decision.

I haven’t followed the conflict closely lately, but I think we should keep a small presence there for a while. I take issue with large occupation forces, such as 50,000 plus for years without end. Leaving behind a few thousand with air capabilities seems reasonable in places like Syria and Afghanistan.