They're merging!

I think there's a near zero chance of this happening, but it would be hilarious if the Muller investigation gets to the point that Trump either resigned or quit the campaign. I suppose in an extreme scenario like that, the GOP is screwed anyways, and their funding organization would be the least of their worries.

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I just don’t understand why the rnc is ready to go down with this ship. 

The titanic is sinking yet they’re lining up to host ticket sales for the second voyage. 

The RNC got infected with the T-virus 2 years ago.  They are now a carrier for the disease. 

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

I just don’t understand why the rnc is ready to go down with this ship. 

I wonder if them clinging to Trump tighter even as he becomes more toxic harkens back to the days of the GOP primary.

Particularly that they aren't scared about a primary, they are scared about what happens if Trump loses a primary or otherwise isn't on the ticket in 2020.

If Trump feels the GOP did him wrong, he'll run a third party/write in campaign and almost certainly guarantee a Democratic win by splitting the vote. Run scenarios in your head about how the GOP wins a 2020 election without Trump on the ticket. It is nearly impossible to envision.

Short of Mueller having a case so damning that they can impeach him and have him in jail by Nov. of 2020(and maybe not even then) I think they have to back him.

And even if they could do that, what does a winning coalition for the GOP look like if they piss off even 5 or 10% of Trump's most diehard cultists?

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending them at all. I have said that I think the one core lesson the country should learn is that once you install a president no matter how corrupt, inept, or unhinged he is it is very hard to remove him from office. What the GOP itself should learn is to fight harder at the beginning before the demagogue has their claws in. Because once they're burrowed in you are stuck with them for a decade. 

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

And even if they could do that, what does a winning coalition for the GOP look like if they piss off even 5 or 10% of Trump's most diehard cultists?

You make a lot of reasonable points and I'm not 100% sold on most but I mostly want to point out this line atm. I have a hard time buying into this one. These were the same die hard bush supports shouting "you're either with us or a terrorist sympathizer or un-american" to "Bush who? Oh yeah fuck that guy. Palin my queen!!" These people will be die hard supports of who ever the GOP picks in 2024.

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I don't know if this is going to pay off, I guess there was a lot of infighting over the prison reform bill, and now over Trump seemingly deciding unilaterally without department heads or congress being aware to pull out of Syria. 

Apparently the National Security Council staff was kept in the dark too.  Bolton is supposedly stunned and furious.